Me and my wife own a tea shop in town, but we are currently building an organic farm with some wood houses around nearby Mountain Ali in Chiayi County in order to develop a sightseeing place and a camping site where people can relax, socialise and enjoy the view of Chiayi city with a good attitude, it is a great chance to improve mental & physical health, and to socialise, culture exchange and share farming knowledge. We are open-mind, welcoming, and ambitious to create and exchange Taiwanese culture with you. I am always happy to introduce foreigners to Taiwan. Every morning, I have a cup of tea with my friends and you are welcome to join us, you can learn how to recognize and distinguish tea and do tea ceremony by yourself.
We live in the central of Chiayi city, which is about 5 minutes away from the main train and coach station by foot and helpers will stay at my tea shop which is also near these stations. However, the farm is 40 mins away from the city, but don’t worry about the transportation, I will take helpers with me to the farm by my car.
1. We need helpers to help us to build fence, plumbing, gardening, weeding and art painting for the farm and the wood houses.
2. Sometimes general housing maintenance to help my wife, such as watering flowers, gardening and preparing/helping breakfast or lunch or dinner as now we have more and more helpers come, so it is a good chance you can show your cooking skills (i.e. making local food from your country and share with other volunteers), also it would be very kind of you if you help to clean up afterwards by yourself or with other helpers, because me and my wife have to get back to work immediately after having meals, and we have no time to clean it up.
3. Help me to design or give some suggestions for decorating my farm and wood houses, so if you have a great sense of this area, you are very welcome!
What we offer??
1. Accommodation conditions: A double bed in two rooms, with a share bathroom.
2. Meal: We only provide ONE meal if helpers have to work that day. If helpers have a day off, then you can cook by yourselves or get food from the supermarket which is located across our tea shop.
3. Culture exchange: languages, Taiwanese culture, religion (If you are interested in knowing Taiwanese religion, there is a Buddhism temple next to our farm you can visit).
4. Others: WI-FI, Bikes, kitchen.
Working days are flexible, usually 5 hours a day, 5 days a week. But if you have any plans, please inform me in advance, so I can reschedule the timetable of helping hours.
But I have to tell you in advance that my project is a little far from accomplishment. I start in 2015. I cut most of betel nut trees, installed irrigation water system, plumbing, planted fruit trees and bonsai trees, build 3 huts .....etc. There are still a lot of works need to be done, so be ready!
ps: if you have questions, please don't hesitate! just write me a message and will response as soon as I can.
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help with Eco Projects
Help around the house
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
The day-off or spare time, we can teach you basic herbs knowledge, and language exchange. Mountain Ali is famous for its tea, so you can learn how to recognize and distinguish tea and do by yourself on tea ceremony. You can have a trip to the tea farms and visit farmers and drop by the Tsou tribe Dabang village. I am also a amateur calligrapher, so if you are interested in Chinese, this is a good way to learn how to write Chinese words. Moreover, the Southern Branch of National Palace Museum is located in Chiayi County, which you can take direct bus from coach station (near train station ), only takes about 30-40 mins to reach there.
We need helpers to help us to build fence, plumbing, gardening, weeding and art painting on the farm, and sometimes general housing maintenance to help my wife, such as watering flowers, gardening and preparing/helping breakfast or lunch or dinner as now we have more and more volunteers come, so it is a good chance you can show your cooking skills (i.e. making local food from your country and share with other volunteers), also it would be very kind of you if you help to clean up afterwards by yourself or with other volunteers, because me and my wife have to get back to work immediately after having meals, and we have no time to clean it up.
Chinese (Mandarin): Fluent
Chinese (Cantonese): Fluent
We provide double bed in 2 rooms and a shared bathroom, WiFi, 2 bicycles, and a kitchen for helpers. If the you have to work on that day we provide one meal. If it's a day off, you can either go to supermarket (2 mins away by foot), or you can cook by yourself.
We located in the central of the city in Taiwan Chiayi. If volunteers willing to stay longer and want to explore in Taiwan, our house is near the main train and coach stations, so it's easy and convenient for you to travel around.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
More than two
5 hours a day 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: