We are an independent nature project located in a very idealic area in the south west of Turkey just a couple hours away north of Antalya. We run the project with the help of Turkish and International volunteers who all live on the farm and participate our ongoing projects.
We at the project live quite a simple and basic lifestyle. We work together for the project and for each other and we try to maintain a beautiful harmony. We like to be outdoors and be inspired by nature. Your time with us could be a great opportunity to meet like-minded people and also to work on your crafts i.e art, music, writing, yoga & meditation etc.
We welcome anyone and everyone to come and join the ever growing family. Families, backpackers and groups are welcomed with open arms in to a warm, friendly, community styled atmosphere. As we are in the rural areas of Turkey and some kilometers away from the nearest city or village we do everything together here. All meals are eaten together round the dinner table, prepared by the volunteers or on some occasions a staff member. On our day off you can choose to either stay on the farm, explore the marvelous nature that surrounds us or head in to town to experience the market and explore what Burdur has to offer.
We live amongst 7 very friendly big dogs and 13 cats at the project that we treat like family and they love cuddles and belly rubs! Please keep this in mind if you have phobias or allergies.
A place to sleep and 3 meals is provided in exchange for help in various projects.
The following are some information for you to read to know more about our work and mission of the project.
- 10 lakes has been dried up due to global warming, livestock and incorrect watering methods in Region of Lakes(around Burdur). There will be more dried lakes in close future due to the reduction in amount of rain (%10-20), regionally fast growing livestock facilities, incorrect watering methods and global warming.
- It is vital to use efficient watering methods to save water, growing low water consuming or non water consuming plants, raising awareness about this issues. This precautions should be applied as soon as possible in order to prevent of losing water sources and prevent climate threads.
- The Project was established 11 years ago. In this time we started planting non-water consuming plants (Lavender) and low water consuming plants (Rose). Together with that we started to produce and sell ecologically certificated rose water, rose oil, lavender water, lavender oil and dried lavender.
- Lavenders have been cultivated without using any water. Roses have been cultivated with water drip irrigation system and consumed 75% less water compared to corn and clover. Products have been processed in the area by distillation and drying methods. These products will be used as a financial source to maintain the project, the project does not accept any financial support, donation and grant since its establishment in 2005.
Our current ongoing projects are:
- Anti Cancer Project
- Education on Ecological and Sustainable Living
- Environment Protection and Rehabilitation and Conservation of Lake Burdur and nearby Lakes
- Re-creating Traditional Rose/Lavender/Thyme/Sage Plantations and Rose/Lavender/Thyme/Sage Oil and Water Production
- Organic (Chemical-Free) Farm Products
- Wildlife Rehabilitation Center; mainly predatory birds. Though in the history of our animal shelter there has been Boars, Dogs, Cats, Wolves, Fox and many other animal species
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help with Eco Projects
Help around the house
We ask for volunteers to assist us in the general daily tasks and also seasonal ones like assisting in essential oil processing and making natural creams and lotions, harvesting plants (juniper, sage, lavender and thyme), preparation and maintenance of the fields, fruit-picking, making marmalade, labeling and packaging products, general cleaning & cooking etc.
Volunteers who are fluent in Turkish may also be required to assist giving tours of the project to visitors and tour groups.
we also believe in the phrase "If you see a job, it's yours.". So on the off seasons when there is not much things to be done, volunteers are more than welcome to create their own jobs.
Accommodation is in bungalow style stone and wooden rooms (each rooms for 2-3 people) in the warmer months and a communal dormitory-style large tent with wooden stove during the colder months. Solar-heated hot water for showering is available.
Although we have more than enough blankets, to make your experience with us more comfortable, we highly encourage volunteers to bring their own sleeping bags during the winter months.
Because we are somewhat isolated and quite far from the nearest city (35 km), we do have limited data of internet so we kindly ask for our volunteers to only use it only for communication with friends and family, researches, travel planning and things of those nature.
Please note that conditions are rural, there are no shops or other facilities within walking distance. It is possible to take the local bus to nearby Burdur to visit the museum or the very lively and colorful local traditional open marketplace created in city center every Tuesday. There you can find local delicacies, colorful fruits and vegetables, very affordable handcraft and clothings etc. You may also want to take a dip in Burdur Lake which is just across from our project or even the very popular Salda Lake which is about 50km away from us.
To get to us, you will have to arrive to burdur. Once you are there, there are dolmuş buses (only twice in a day) that come directly to us. The first one is in the morning called 'Yeşilova' dolmuş at 7.30am from the Burdur Bus Station to the farm. The second one is called 'ilyas' dolmuş at 3 .30pm from Burdur City Center at a location called 'Pazaryeri' directly to our front gate.
Overnight buses from Istanbul, Izmit, Ankara and various other cities are available to Burdur. To get to Burdur, you can either fly to İstanbul Atatürk Airport or Antalya Airport. In Antalya you can take the shuttle bus to get to the Intercity Coach Terminal (Otogar). From Istanbul Otogar you can find direct coaches (mainly overnight) to Burdur and it takes about 11 hours. Check coach companies Kamil Koç, Pamukkale, Metro, Akdeniz, Ulusoy or Varan. From Antalya Otogar some companies and also some local buses run to Burdur.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
More than two
5 hours a day, 5 days a week