We are a Polish-Swiss family. We are both language teachers and live about 1-hour drive from Gdansk and 32 km from the Baltic Sea and a Slowinski National Park.
We also have four kids aged 17, 15, 13 and 11. Our kids are very independent and can communicate in Swiss German and English.
To check the cheap flights to Gdansk visit Ryanair or Wizzair website.
We are also about 6 hours by train from the Berlin Airport.
We are looking for help in our language school (no teaching experience is needed). Specifically, we need native speakers of German, Swiss German, Polish and English. As we extend our courses we will also need French and Spanish natives.
Length of stay: 1-2 weeks to begin with. If both parties are happy with the situation then this could be extended.
In general, you will work from 10 til 1 in the language school, and then come back to the house to help us prepare lunch (we eat the main meal at 3). For the evening meal, you are welcome to join us or, if you prefer, to do your own thing. We will provide food for your apartment depending on your preferences. We are not vegetarians ourselves but we can cater for them without a problem (we have had several staying with us previously). If you enjoy cooking then you would also be very welcome to contribute a more active role in the meal preparation, and new recipe ideas are always appreciated!
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
Help with Computers/ Internet
You could benefit from your time with us in many different ways:
- Learn about online marketing and new technologies, and how to best make use of them as a business
- Gain experience in writing/blogging
- Improve your video filming and editing skills
- Exercise your creativity
- Learn about Polish culture directly from students (and from our family)
- Get informal teaching experience
- Improve your language skills (we can speak in French, German, English, Swiss German and German depending on your preference)
- Get a reference letter for future employment
- Experience life in a non-touristic Polish town
- Get to know a Swiss-Polish family
- Taste local food (once a month is pierogi day!), and make use of our coffee machine
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
This host offers accommodation and payment.
Host has indicated that they will pay at least the minimum hourly wage of their country for each hour worked and that accommodation will also be provided. They are asking for help with a business or business activity. Contact the host directly via the site messenger for more information and details about the wage provided. Any arrangements should be agreed in advance with your host.
The work you do will depend on your skills and what you are comfortable with, but in general we are looking for people who can:
- Produce written materials for our courses, and write articles for our blog
- Produce audio recordings of themselves which we can use for our online marketing and courses
- Speak with students to help them practice their conversation skills
- Film and edit videos which we can use for marketing purposes
- Help with online teaching (German and Swiss German speakers only)
- Come up with their own ideas of how we can improve our marketing
- Help with cooking (if you are comfortable doing so... There is no pressure!)
No teaching experience is necessary, we are just looking for people who are independent and able to contribute to our business in some way.
If you are interested in coming to say, please send us a message in which you answer the following questions (don't worry if you answer no to some of them, we just want to make sure that you could fit in in some way so that both parties are happy):
1. Are you happy with writing? What type of writing have you done in the past?
2. Would you feel comfortable doing research on Swiss Germany and producing articles on this basis?
3. Are you happy working independently? Are you creative?
4. Would you be willing to make audio recordings which we can use for our online services/marketing?
5. Would you be able to make/edit videos which we could use for marketing purposes?
6. Would you feel comfortable talking to students?
You will stay in the apartment on the ground floor of our family house. This is equipped with its own kitchen and bathroom, and has 2 bedrooms (1 single bed and 1 double sofa bed). You will have your own key, so will be able to come and go as you like.
You will either have this apartment to yourself or, if there is another workawayer staying, you will share it with them (each with your own room). Couples are welcome.
You will be staying in a small non-touristic Polish town, Lębork, which is situated about 1 hour outside of the port city of Gdańsk. In Gdańsk itself there are many shops, restaurants and museums to visit.
In the summer, you can enjoy our proximity to the sea, and explore some of the largest sand dunes in Europe. There is also a national park just a short bus ride away, for those who enjoy hiking.
We appreciate the possibility of learning about different people and their cultures which Workaway makes possible, and we would be more than happy to share our life with you while you are here. You are therefore welcome to be as much or as little involved in our daily activities as you wish. If you prefer time to yourself, this is not a problem too!
Previous volunteers have found staying in Lębork to be a calming and therapeutic experience!
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
Our place welcomes digital nomads.
This host can provide space for campervans.
Maximum 3 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: