We are a carbon-offset project committed to combating climate change, promoting reforestation and uplifting rural communities in Malawi. Our project offers both individuals and businesses the opportunity to become ‘carbon neutral’ through a variety of options. On the ground experience involves tree nursery care, liaison with communities and data management.
DIY and building projects
Help with Eco Projects
Help with Computers/ Internet
An authentic Malawi experience. The Malawian people are, without doubt, the country’s greatest asset: friendly and welcoming to all who visit. Every visitor is met with a smile and the warmth of the welcome is genuine and long-lasting. Malawi is one of the more densely peopled countries of this part of Africa. Most of the population is rural, living largely in traditional villages. The project offers you the chance to meet and interact with local communities, and truly immerse yourself in rural Malawian life.
In addition to an all-round experience of the country, volunteers will also be able to gain valuable experience and knowledge in the field of environmental conservation while becoming part of the project's ripple effect that combats climate change, promotes reforestation, restores the planet and environment and sustains livelihoods of rural communities.
What are we looking for?
Team member to assist with project
What qualities, skills and experience are we looking for?
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Candidates must be able to work in the field, oversee operations and report on the project’s progress
• Should be able to motivate and promote efficiency in others
• Must be able to solve problems
• Must be resourceful
• Candidates must have a sound knowledge of excel database management
• Candidates who are physically fit will be preferred
• Must have sound knowledge of computer skills
• Ability to create and present presentations to supporters and potential donors preferred
• Must have a clean driving license
• Experience in permaculture will be a definite advantage
• Candidates who hold experience in community engagement are preferred
• Candidates must be organized, and be able to pay attention to detail
• Candidates able to stay for longer than 3 months an advantage
What’s the deal?
Volunteers will have to bear the cost of travelling to Malawi. Accommodation, 3 daily meals and other basic in country transport to and from the posting will be provided.
What do you need to know about Malawi?
Malawi, known fondly as the warm heart of Africa, is a gem of a country in the heart of central southern Africa that offers a true African experience. Lake Malawi, the third largest water body in Africa, takes up almost a third of this narrow country. Our project aims to address the rapid deforestation taking place with community involvement.
What medical precautionary actions should you take?
Please do bring any medication that you are on with you, as it may not be easily available in the north of Malawi. Malawi is in a malaria zone and we recommend that applicants to seek medical advice for anti-malaria precautions with their local doctor.
Volunteers will be provided accommodation based on site.
The main project nursery and the project information centre are located situated on site. There are 2 off site nurseries.
Limited transport methods are available, since volunteers will be working at the nursery, which is located within walking distance to their living quarters.
During their free time, volunteers can participate in activities offered at the Inn, including bird watching, kayaking, snorkelling, cycling, village walks, etc.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
5 days a week, hours variable (max 25 hours per week)