Favourited 673 times
Our home involves doing things ourselves to constantly evolve and create. We are a collective of five people that left the busy cities of South Korea to create a life in between the mountains and the Han River. We have been around for the past seven years as a social enterprise recognized by the Korean government for creating sustainable ecosystems.
We have a small garden which partly provides our needs for vegetables. We also operate an animal sanctuary that can be compared to the likes of Noah’s arch: a band of horses, a mother and daughter cow, a group of sheep, and our four dogs.
Our practices involve making organic soaps and natural daily life products and manufacturing compost toilets and rainwater tanks. We also run educational programs for local students who visit our center.
We are located in a beautiful rural area with many rice fields, chestnut trees, and chirping birds.
We first started as a spiritual group. Founded in 1998, we have been doing breathing practice.
In 2011, our organization was founded by a group of individuals that felt the need to live in nature and coexist with it.
They wanted to create a lifestyle based on the Korean word “Seon” which means to love and know nature,
human beings, and the universe. They came together while practicing Seon meditation in a group.
Many realizations later, they decided to put all of their ideas together and create a project next to the Han River.
THINGS TO KNOW
- The minimum and maximum stay are three weeks. During our time together, we would like to share our way of life and the art of breathing meditation that we have learned until now.
- From Monday to Friday for 4 to 5 hours per day, we will engage in community work together. This includes activities like cleaning and feeding the animals’ space, general maintenance, farming, gardening, cooking, etc.
- We are located 60 minutes away from the main city by bus. The last bus to our location is 6:30 p.m.
- We ask the volunteers not to smoke cigarettes, use drugs, or abuse alcohol, inside or outside of our home, throughout their whole stay! Please only come if you are 100% sure that you are able and willing to respect this.
- An organic meal will be provided every weekday 1 time for lunch, and breakfast and dinner are free.
We serve an ingredient for the meals.
If you agree to our principles, we would be happy to share our experiences with you.
*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️When you apply to our project, please tell us about yourself :
- Why do you want to stay in our community?
- What's your major or what do you do?
- Short personal history :-)
WHAT TO BRING
Please bring the following items, if possible.
1. Sleeping Bag, and/or a pad (air-filled, foam, etc.). A sheet or bed liner for a single bed.
*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️ We strongly recommend you bring warm clothes and/or good sleeping bag from December to March because it can get very cold during the night. There is underfloor heating, however, it may still get a little cold.
2. There will be organic soap, shampoo, body wash provided in the bathrooms. If you want to bring your own products it is welcome, but we would like to suggest sticking to organic products, please.
From Incheon Airport :
You can take a bus from Incheon airport to Chung-Ju Bus Terminal (충주).
From there take the bus to “조기암 마을". then you can arrive here.
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Volunteers can experience authentic Korean rural life and, at the same time, the progressive lifestyle of the residents.
They can learn about soap manufacturing and basic farming skills.
Volunteers are required to help 3 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon, by taking care of animals and doing other community work.
We have 2 rooms for volunteers. Depending on the number of volunteers, you may have to share your room with others. (1 room = 1-2 persons)
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
4-5 hours per day, 5 day per week