Favourited 589 times
Dear Workawayer! Thank you very much for your interest in our little Husky-farm and Lodge. (minimum stay 2 months)
We are a small Norwegian - French family living beyond the polar circle in northern Norway, at the heart of the northern lights & midnight sun region. Our farm consist of 110 hectares of pine forest, and different wooden buildings. This is a vast, beautiful and wild region inhabited by many iconic animals, moose, reindeer, lynx, wolverine, brown bear, fox and many more... We have had this lifestyle with our dogs and log-house for about 25 years, and we accommodate small groups for exclusive tours, up to 7 guests. Espen ran 5 times the Finnmarksløpet, a mythic 1000 km race through north Norway, and Delphine is a skipper passionate about Arctic waters. The kids are 12 and 9, and they are home every 2nd week. Our farm is located 20 minutes from Bardufoss airport, and about 160km from Tromsø, near the beautiful Senja island and Dividal National park.
Here we have a farm with many nice wooden buildings, and a kennel of 25 friendly and promising Alaskan huskies. There is a lot of work year round, both with dogs-care and wooden buildings. We have a log-house where we host guests, a wooden house where we live, a 100 years old wooden barn, a dog-kennel, etc...
We offer outdoor adventures to our guests. Mainly with our dogs, but also hiking, canoeing, sailing, skiing... Depending on the season our activities and schedule vary :
- in summer we have building projects happening (dog-houses, fencing, log-cabin...) and looking after the dogs (feeding, exercise), it's the dogs holidays.
- in autumn we start the dogs-training on karts on dirt-roads, and cut firewood. We need a handler for the training, that can stay during the winter-season.
- in winter, as soon as the snow comes, we are busy with dogsledding day-trips. We need a good handler that already knows the dogs in that time.
- in the spring we start longer multiple-day trips, and it will for sure be some opportunities to come along!
INTERESTED? Seeking motivated and hard-working persons!!!
In summer we look for help with building and carpenting projects, firewood and simple dog-care.
In winter we look for handlers for the season, from the start of the training (September) to the end of the dogsledding season (march). We look for structured persons, who gives the individual dogs what they deserve! In exchange we offer room and board, a lot of unforgettable experiences with our dogs, and an insight into the life in the North!
- 2 months stay mini, preferably longer - it takes a while until you know the dogs individually good enough to take care of them the best possible way.
- Driving licence to be autonomous with shopping
- Independent with laundry and cooking
- English language : we mostly speak English together but also some Norwegian and French
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
In exchange you will learn about dogsledding and the typical Norwegian outdoor life.
In addition to being a very experienced musher and mountain guide, Espen is a trained canoe instructor, and Delphine is a skipper on the Arctic and Barents Sea. There will be many opportunities to hike with our dogs ; stay in our mountain cabin for some nights, the area is famous for its amazing northern lights in the winter, and midnight sun in summer. You can also borrow outdoor equipment such as snowshoes, sleeping bags and more.
But most of all we are very happy to share our passions, beautiful region and lifestyle with you! :)
The help we seek for covers a wide range of skills. The main thing is to be motivated!!!
It's nice if you have a previous experience with animals, in construction, wood-works and carpentry, as we have building projects going on in the summer.
Due to our activity, we can be away for some periods, so you should be independent, able to take initiatives and self-driven. This is not a 9 - 5 job but our passion & lifestyle so it’s important that you are flexible, and so are we, as it will generally be more than 5-hour days. Here is a little overview of our activity next months :
1/ DAILY CARE OF THE DOGS
- feeding the dogs with a soup twice a day, giving them water, chopping meat with an axe
- consistent and firm handling of the dogs; a calm and friendly atmosphere in the dog-yard is very important
- cleaning the dog-yard, keeping the equipment tidy and maintained
2/ INCREASING THE KENNEL
- building new cages (fundations, digging, easy building / fencing)
- creating a fenced running area
3/ LOG CABIN BUILDING
- digging the foundations
- helping-hand around and with traditional carpenters
4/ BUILDING PROJECTS
- finishing the roof of the house
- installing the big Lavvo (Sami tent)
• Autonomous with your own laundry and cooking
• Genuinely interested in dogs!
• Driver’s License
• Hardworking, responsible, and flexible with work, good physical shape
• Self-starter / autonomous, if there’s not something going on, it’s really nice to have someone that just starts doing small tasks to help out!
• Possible dates, how long you can stay
• A few sentences about yourself, where you’re coming from, why to volunteer with us?
• Previous experiences
• Allergies or dietary restrictions
• Language skills
There will be a 2 weeks trial period, after which we can both decide about next steps! We expect our helpers to be highly motivated in the work with dogs, reliable and careful, and always act with respect to the needs of our dogs and to the surrounding nature. Please recognise that the work on a husky farm can be hard sometimes, especially in winter when the temperatures are low (- 20°). The dogs have to be fed every day, the cleaning has to be done irrelevant how the weather is. The working hours are not fix and will vary in duration and time. Last but not least, keep in mind that our husky-farm is within a beautiful nature, what also means that there is no big city right next to it. So, if you need a lot of people around maybe you would feel too lonely here?
Norwegian, English, French, acceptable German
You will stay in a tiny-house on wheels, just near our house. It's small and cosy, and has everything needed : electricity, radiator, wooden stove and kitchenette. It can host a couple, so it can be an idea to apply per pair.
In summer we have more meals together, but from the autumn we provide a little budget and a car to buy food at the nearest shop. We also share some dinners and meal preparations together. Cooking skills are very much appreciated, new tastes are always welcome!
Bathroom facilities are shared.
IMPORTANT: The place is remote, so it's necessary to have a Driving licence to go to shopping. Please also notice that our house and dog-kennel are located in the forest with no next-door neighbours, outside a very small village, and you won't have a lot of transport possibilities. If you like to be around a lot of people all the time, this might not be the correct place for you.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
5 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: