Located in the heart of the ancient town in the inspiring Siwa Oasis, this is an originally restored heritage house to embrace the simple life old Siwis used to live. A simple life that revolves around nature, local resources including the building materials: local mud, Kersheef (Natural Salty Rocks) and palm tree trunks.
As a guest house, embracing the coziness of living at your own home, we need volunteers from time to time. We offer our volunteers free accommodation, access to the kitchen so that they can cook their own meals, and/or other surprises. Volunteers who qualify are those who love what they do, and who would like to add their touch to the place.
What we can promise is that you enjoy a wonderful experience where work and fun are blended in the right ingredients. Your safety and good mood are our major concern.
Volunteers will have their own room during the stay, and will be given a brief orientation about what can be done, as well, in the amazing oasis of Siwa.
Usually the stay is 4 to 7 days, however sometimes we offer longer-term assignments with free accommodation.
All assignments will be announced in details whenever available in the below sections - stay tuned..
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
You will be introduced to a unique Amazigh local community. Story-telling sessions about Siwa will be planned whether indoors or outdoors - an amazing Siwan storyteller will be your co-host. We work hand-in-hand, from our hearts, with a decent sense of ownership - that’s the very core of it.
Among the assignments for volunteering are decoration, redesigning of available spaces, gardening, and help with the smooth guest-oriented running of the guesthouse.
*️️Current Assignment Details (July 2019)*️️
- Location: A restored heritage house in the heart of the ancient part of Siwa Oasis: Shali
- Duration: July 06-10
- Accommodation: Own Room
- Meals: Breakfast (CIY) + access to kitchen
- Accommodation in own room
- Breakfast (CIY)
- Access to kitchen
- Basic sightseeing with SG guests including admission tickets whenever required
V. Requested Activities
Helping with guests (hospitality) and general guesthouse chores (housekeeping) for 5 days (4 nights), including but not limited to:
- Attending to guests’ requests during their stay
- Accompanying guests during sightseeing and outdoor activities as required (local transportation arranged)
- Maintaining the neatness and cleanliness of the house’ different sections
- Gardening: watering the rooftop garden during the evening
- Shopping (marketplace/souq is a 3-min walk) if required
- Adding your touch to at least one room (reflect your own style and sense of creative decoration)
English, Egyptian Arabic, a bit German and a bit Turkish
Double rooms in a Siwan Heritage House. Rooms are clean and built with natural materials (mud and Kersheef), acting as a natural air condition in all seasons.
The house is 3 sections, each section is 2-3 rooms sharing a bathroom with a water heater.
Each section has a small basic kitchenette and the main kitchen is located outside the sections in the common area.
A roof garden is available, with a bonfire, and magnificent sunrise and sunset views due to the house raised location at the foot of Shali Mount.
You will have full access to the kitchen during your stay, to cook and share the traditional dishes of where you come from. We may also serve you some Siwan traditional varieties as treats.
We love to diversify how the food is catered. Sometimes we cook dishes from Workawayers’ cuisines at home, we eat at good Siwan reatautants or we BBQ in the desert..
Meals, Sightseeing, etc:
Volunteers will be offered, as thank-you tokens, some inkind incentives besides the free accommodation:
- Stuff for simple breakfasts will be available in the fridge for us to prepare in rota or as agreed per assignment (CIY)
- In all cases we will let you know all that can be done in Siwa, connect you with good service providers, and help you get very good prices for the activities you choose.
- You may extend your stay, if you like, for 1 more night, for free, on bed-only basis.
- You may extend your stay further for up to 5 more nights and get 50% off on the announced lodging rates
*️️️️️️ You will have 25% discount on lodging rates for any upcoming visit, for 6 months (needs advance communication and booking to ovoid overbooking)
Volunteers will be guided as much as needed during their stay, and if we have time we might organize some activities together as a group/family.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Maximum 5 hours a day