Favourited 1089 times
Ours is a multidisciplinary Project in a typical farm in Asturias where we practice agroecology, gardening, nature courses, the responsible use of natural resources, spirituality, ethnobotanics and traditions by creating a kind of retirement in the middle of the mountains. We are a young couple (Germán from Andalucia and Mario from Austria) fallen in love with the nature of Asturias. Early in our educational training we decided to form ourselves and work in the areas of gardening, nursery of plants, environmental education, organic farming and teaching to share our skills. Finally our fascination for nature and the countryside germinated and rooted in a magic and unique place.
The farm is located in a small village called Camales very close to the city of Oviedo. About 7 people are living in this village which is at distance of only 5km from Trubia, where you can find all kind of stores and services, with local buses and trains that go to Oviedo. The train from Trubia to Oviedo it’s only a 15 min trip. Despite of that this area has mantained the spirit of country life where you can find green, prolific valleys with their meadows and vast woodlands, our constant companions are the singing of the birds and the soft sound of distant cow bells. Fresh fountains and crystal clear rivers with trouts and other rare animals can be found in our surroundings. Not very far from us we found bear footprints last spring.
You can send us a message and we can let you have more details about us.
We are starting to put into shape our dream of a harmonic natural country life. It is a project in the first phases of execution, in which the development needs collaboration together with our knowledge to give them form across different areas as the following ones:
- Selfsuficiency: We try to make a selfproduction for the things we can need during the year and exchange the excedents to get what we can not produce. We also want to be independent with ecoenergies.
- Gardening: We want to create a therapeutic garden using not only ornamental plants but also useful and healing ones. Our plant collection has a rose section in progress with more than 300 varieties and more than 5.000 rose plants. We work for Rose breeder companies so we have a special predilection on roses. And we have started a project with edible roses with elaboration of jams, chutneys and syrups.
-Agroecology: A small plot with diverse fruit trees and an organic orchard has been established, and every year we recover abandoned fields to regenerate them. Our goal is to reproduce our own plants to obtain more food sovereignty using heritage and heirloom varieties typical for our climatic zone, avoiding the usage of commercial modern hybrids. We also look for the best varieties more resistant to fungi diseases so we don’t have to spray them. For this reason we have our own seedbank and nursery. We elaborate many products with the fruits or vegetables obtained as jams, dehydrated fruit, every kind of preserve for the rest of the year
- Farm: We have our own organic meat and egg production mainly by breeding our own chickens and rabbits. These are the first steps to ethic consumption and in direction to self-sufficiency. We also have pigs, sheep for milk, ducks, etc. We forage and grow part of the feeding for the animals. We prefer to choose local races, typical to our region and climatic conditions sometimes in danger to be replaced completely by a few modern and universal hybrid breeds.
- Ethnobotanic: Nature can offer us through the seasons almost everything we need. Therefore we are rediscovering the uses of plants and forest fruits in nature’s pantry just in front of our door. We can base our diet partly on healthy wild plants which are extremely richer in contents than our actual grown and domesticated vegetables.
- Agroforestry: We want to establish a small auto-sustainable fruit forest by using wild fruit plants, berries and culinary herbs re-foresting small abandoned and burned areas with natural species. As well as to contribute with the plantation of species that attract bees and recovery of the better habitat for the maintenance of the bees, incorporating beehives. This way we also can obtain honey.
- Agriturism and Environmental Education: Our idea is to create an enjoyable place for like-minded and/or interested people where skills and acquirements of a vision of a respectful life based on nature and the surroundings are shared and shown. All this through the experience of living a small period over here for families with children or people interested in learning selfsuficiency like we do with our volunteers.
Help with Eco Projects
DIY and building projects
Help around the house
We can share and offer the following to the volunteers:
- Knowledge on growing plants and taking care of the livestock in the best possible conditions of our local ecosystem.
- Recovering knowledge of using wild animals, flora, mushrooms.
- Learning how to live in systems with closed consumption cycles (growing vegetables with own resources, organic eggs and meat from our own chicken and rabbits, recycling and preparing compost, etc.)
- The experience to live a natural rhythm, using what nature offers by doing traditional activities specific to each season of the year: Gathering of wild plants, hazelnuts and chestnuts, mushrooms, apples for cyder, making canned food, etc.
- Amplifying your knowledge on ornamental and crop plants: Identifying and classification, methods of propagation, growing youngplants, specific needs of different varieties and much more.
- Maintenance techniques for the garden: Pruning ornamental shrubs, fertilization, planting, recognizing and bio-treatments against pests and diseases, etc.
- Heritage and local techniques using available resources for fences, cares of the gardens, etc.
- Language Exchange ( we speak Spanish, Germán, English and French). Sharing culinary cultural traditions (Andalusian, Asturian, Austrian dishes, etc.).
- A healthy course of day and life, following the natural rhythm, the hours of light and the tranquility of a small village next to lush woods, far away from stress and consumerism of our todays’ society.
The activities we require help are mostly: Taking care of the farm animals, vegetable, fruit and ornamental gardens, manufacturing products from our fruits or vegetables or from the forest, building restoration, weeding, cleaning and maintenance of abandoned land and old pathways, prepare firewood, preparing compost and natural phytosanitary products, recovery of traditions, use of natural resources, harvesting roses for our marmelades, identification of plants and seeds, etc.
*** We have started in January 2021 the restoration of our old house in the farm, so we specially look for volunteers with any construction skills or interest in bioconstruction.
***** For the summer period between June and September we are looking for longer term stays of at least 6 weeks minimum as we may have to work out of the farm and we need volunteers who can compromise and learn everything here to be responsible of the farm.
We are looking for responsible volunteers who enjoy: nature, animals, plants, gardening, organic farming, hard working, the tranquility of the countryside to disconnect from cities and machines, cultural and cooking exchange, hiking, meditation, inner wellness and spirituality… The mínimum stay is 3/4 weeks. (so please don't write if you only have one week or less) We will consider specially volunteers with some experience or with skills that could be usefull for us, and for longer stays.As we are a farm with animal production we prefer not vegan volunteers. And as we have many different animals and also our neighbors we cannot recieve people with dogs.
The course of a normal week on the farm is usually organized in a way that each day a different activity can be done. This helps to avoid monotonous works and to alternate easy and powerful activities. There are also certain activities which need to be done each day of the week (with the animals) and others which are complementary according to the season and the resources available for harvesting and the elaboration of products. this will also depends a little bit on the climatic conditions, for especially rainy days alternative activities will be prepared, which can be done under sheltered places.
If someone is interested to come, when you contact us please send us an email where we can send more complete information about us.
The house where the volunteers will be accommodated is in a neighbouring village called Trasmuria, 2,5 km from our farm, in a traditional Asturian house with an ‘Horreo’ (old type of a traditional wooden storage building). It is settled in a sunny valley with a view of wonderful meadows and hills with high snow-covered mountaintops in the background. We will share some pictures of the house to let you have an idea.
The accomodation consists of two independent bedrooms both with two beds, one bathroom, one living room and one kitchen. Outside we have a huge sheltered terrace under the Horreo and also a roofed balcony where you can enjoy some of your meals, relax in the sun, read a book , play guitar, etc.
There are 2 small vegetable gardens next to house where you can get some vegetables for cooking. We also have some homemade preserves and marmelades and we will provide weekly the basic things you can need to prepare your breakfast and dinner during the week. The main meal in Spain is lunch and we use to make it in the place where we will be working, for the volunteers to have a meal together sharing different traditional dishes from Asturias, Spain, Andalucia, Austria, Vegetarian, etc or from the volunteer's cuisine.
In the close vecinity there is a bar with free Wi-Fi connection if someone needs internet. The companies of telephone that work in the zone of the house and the farm are Vodafone and Orange and their low cost versions, but Movistar doesn´t work at all. With these it is possible to use the mobile as wifi-usb.
From the accommodation to the farm (where the majority of the tasks are done) it’s a walk of about 30/35 minutes which leads you through the authentic rural surroundings with meadows, small forests, rivers, fountains and ‘magical spots’.
During weekends or any afternoon many different excursions to very close attractions can be made: The Guanga Waterfalls, The Paths of the Bears, The Defile of the Xanas (Asturian Goddesses of Love), The Rute of the Avandoned towns of Grado. You can find big woods with paths for hiking, collect mushrooms, etc. just 100 m. from your accommodation.
In the close vicinity it is possible to enjoy a cultural visit to Oviedo, to visit traditional farm markets in Grado and Oviedo and the thermal baths of Las Caldas, only to mention some of the nearest. It’s even possible to make the original Way of Saint James from Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela (13 stages). We have an extended list with proposals of interesting activities and places depending on the distance and the time which each activity requires.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
More than two
5 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: