Favourited 166 times
We are Sanne and Marc, a couple from the Netherlands. For work, Sanne edits study books, working from home. Marc teaches singing and theatre and he installs solar systems.
We are living with our 4 year old boy and a cat close to Torvizcón, 25 minutes from Órgiva in Andalucia, Spain.
We live on a lush 9 hectares of land owned by a friendly lady who lets us stay with her. She lives in the big house, together with her daughter, friends and volunteers. We get to stay in the small house in exchange for painting the windows, doors and outside of the house. Later this year we'll move into our yurt, which we are building right now.
We're trying to live in a sustainable way. We eat mostly organic and/or local and stick to a healthy - mostly vegetarian - diet. We grow some vegetables, recycle, try to reduce plastics and chemicals, and we drive an electric car. Marc built a solar system to charge the car and we also use it to power the house. Sanne plans to start a vegetable garden again.
Then there is the project of building a yurt, that we're slowly working on. We have walls and doorframes and we are now steaming the roofpoles and making them smooth with a sanding machine. Next step is to make the roofpoles all the right size and make them fit the holes in the crown.
In the next couple of months we need two kinds of help:
- On the one hand there is the household, with dishes, laundry, cooking, some cleaning, gathering wood and playing with our son.
- On the other hand there is the project of the yurt and the painting work on the house.
If you come to stay with us, you'll spend time on both of these aspects, doing a bit of both every day. We'll be happy to share our knowledge of off-grid living, solar systems and electric cars if you're interested.
We're looking for helpers from 24 February and onwards.
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help in the house
Nature, learn about living off grid, yurt building
We need 2 people to help us. You're welcome to come for any amount of time!
We're looking for people who are okay with being in a quiet place. We're in the middle of nature and although we share the land with others, they also have a quiet lifestyle. You'll find a welcoming family home, friendly neighbours, and quite some time to yourself in your caravan. We always share the big meal of the day, which is mostly lunch and sometimes dinner. The other meals you'll mostly eat in the caravan, as we prefer our sleepy breakfasts alone, and evenings are private time for us. Sometimes we'll have a nice evening together though, we do like a bit of social too :-)
- Cooking & washing up
- Some cleaning/laundry
- Gathering and cutting wood
- All kinds of little jobs around the house
- Painting the house
- The yurt: making roof poles (steam bending the wood, sanding the poles, cutting them to size)
- are you a carpenter and you like to work on something original? we still need help building the doors of the yurt! (the doorframes are almost finished)
- A bit of gardening
- Baby sitting: entertaining our son, so we can get something else done
Dutch, English, Spanish (a little), French (a little)
- a caravan with kitchen, electricity and gas heater
- internet (limited) in the house
- warm shower in the house
- the food (fruit/cereal/bread/cheese for breakfast and dinner, and a decent vegetarian meal for lunch)
- when we go to Órgiva, we'll give you a lift (we go about 4 times a week)
- in summer there's a lovely swimming pool
If you don't have your own transport, we can pick you up somewhere or you can take public transport.
Things to do in free time:
Without transport you can go for walks in the mountains around us and to Torvizcón and Almegijar, or just hang out in the garden, at the pool, or in your caravan.
With your own transport or public transport:
- Go to Orgiva, the main town of the area, with lots of activities like concerts and yoga classes
- Go up into the Sierra Nevada for beautiful hiking
- Relax at one of the beaches, at about 45 minutes drive.
- Granada is about 1,5 hour away
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week (we're flexible)
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: