We are an NGO and we operate a community center for the residents of a nearby refugee camp.
We provide psycho-social support throughout our different programs : Female Friendly Space, Children Friendly Space, Educational Program (english and german lessons), Arts and Recreation program (yoga/fitness/dance/guitar/piano lessons) and warehouse (distribution of dry food/ clothes/hygiene products).
We are located in Serrés, Northern Greece, about an hour away from Thessaloniki.
The residents of the camps are mostly yazidis from Northern Iraq and Syria who had to leave their country during the war.
We are looking for volunteers from October / November onward, especially :
ENGLISH TEACHER WANTED
WAREHOUSE / GENERAL VOLUNTEER
Skills preffered : english / german teacher (experience, TEFL, or strong interest and organizational skills), experience working with children, yoga / fitness, experience working with women and girls.
Minimum comitmment : 6 weeks.
Babysitting and creative play
You'll be part of a great team of international volunteers, the life in Serres is very nice, lots of restaurants, cafés, bars, hikes, close to Sofia and Thessaloniki.
You'll be part of an amazing solidarity project and you'll get the chance to discover the fascinating yazidi culture !
It'll also be the opportunity to discover the humanitarian work from a field perspective.
We can provide different types of volunteer opportunities :
- Female Friendly Space volunteers : facilitate activities like knitting day, spa day, movie day, ensure that the space is safe, socialiaze with the residents.
- Children Friendly Space : facilitate different activities for children aged 2 to 6 (sensory games, role play, construction, etc.), ensure the safety of the space, help the children to interact in an appropriate way and to express themselves.
- English teachers (TEFL and CELTA or previous experience prefered)
- German teachers (no certification or experience necessary, only a good/fluent level of german)
- Piano / guitar teachers (no experience in teaching required)
- Yoga / Fitness / Dance teachers (certification or strong experience prefered)
The volunteers are expected to help about 5h a day, to attend the team meeting once a week and sometimes to help out in other programs if necessary.
They'll have two days off every week (tuesday / wednesday)
We do not provide meals.
UPDATE : due to the pandemic we will have a smaller team from now on, and all volunteers are expected to contribute to two or several programs.
Shared apartment in the center of town for 5 euros a night !
On your days off you can go spend the weekend on the coast, or in cities like Thessaloniki or Sofia, you could go hike Mount Olympus, go to the tuesday market...
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
More than two
Maximum 5 hours a day, 5 days a week
In developing countries (Where most hosts are involved in charity work or community development) some of our hosts may ask for a small donation to help the host family or charity (often less then 5 dollars per day) Workaway will allow this listing when the donation goes directly to the family or charity and is just to cover the cost of the volunteer‘s stay. (This will be clearly marked on the host listing).
We will strictly not allow listings posted by agents, “middle men” or projects who we feel are looking to profit from a volunteers stay.