Mira (39), Dennis (40) and little Julian (2) live since 2009 in a old renovated house in a small but lovely city called, ETTELBRUCK.
In 2012, we bought some land near DIEKIRCH with a marvelous view over the Sure Valley. Since then, we are busy to install an ORCHARD with 50 trees (old traditional an typical regional fruit varieties) and a vegetable garden with a permaculture design. Many projects, like tree planting & pruning, fencing, hay making with scythe and an oldtimer tractor, building of an animal shelter and a handicraft place, composting, bee keeping, installing an irrigation system, building a compost toilet,,... have been accomplished so far.
In 2014, we started an ambitious project related to the construction of a DRY STONE WALL. Passionate by old building techniques, we warmly welcome volunteers to share this old knowledge and learn how to build a wall without any mortar to bind stones together.
2014-2015 we traveled 1 year around Europe to work as volunteers at different farms ("WWOOFING"). This was a great experience, that´s why we decided to be hosts ourselves.
2016 we hosted our first volunteers.
In January 2017, JULIAN was born and completed our family.
2018 we bought an OLD FARMHOUSE in Eppeldorf, a village next to the city we live in. The house is currently being renovated with the help of an architect and several handicraft firms. We want to create a multiple family house and are looking for the right partner families to do so.
We plan to move in Autumn 2019 in the new house in Eppeldorf.
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help in the house
During the renovation work, we'll share our knowledge about renovation skills, architecture, handy skills, ... At the orchard, general information about gardening, bee keeping, fruit tree pruning, preservation of food, sheep, dry stone wall techniques, ... can be transmitted.
Dennis and Mira speak 5 languages (French, German, English, Luxemburgish and Dutch).
MIRA is biologist and works as a nature reserve manager. She has a solid knowledge about local biodiversity, geology and landscape. Used to lead guided tours for tourists and groups, she loves to tell and explain & share knowledge.
DENNIS is a part-time gardening teacher at a secondary school and part-time circus artist. He is very enthusiastic to initiate the basics of partner acrobatics and other techniques.
We are looking for
- motivated people (construction skills are welcome but not essential)
- preferably a COUPLE or FAMILY as we have just one guest bedroom
NEW: next to the work in the Orchard, we are RENOVATING AN OLD FARMHOUSE, we bought this summer! This will be the first priority (especially during winter time). Nevertheless, we will do a little maintenance work at our orchard. Part of the work could also be taking care of our little boy and helping in the household, so that we have time to work at the house.
Work at the new house we are busy renovating (EPPELDORF):
- chipping plastering of the walls
- essentially getting rid of stuff: furniture, debris, ...
Work in the house we live in (ETTELBRUCK):
- taking part in daily chores (cooking, washing up, ...)
WInter activities at the orchard (DIEKIRCH):
- Get ahead with the construction of the dry stone wall
- Small building and repair projects, ...
- Pruning fruit trees
Childcare is also possible, but only if you like to do it! Julian goes to a day nanny 3 days a week.
!!! IMPORTANT NOTE !!!
We have been volunteers during a year in several farms in Europe and appreciated it to work WITH the hosts and not FOR the hosts. As we work from Monday to Thursday, we look for volunteers who are OK with working 2 consecutive days on Weekends (Friday-Sunday) only and give a hand at the household chores. The rest of the week you are free to travel and discover our surroundings.
Luxembourgish, German, French, English, Dutch
We live since 2009 in a old renovated house in a small but lovely city called Ettelbruck, offering all urban amenities. We offer a room with 2 single beds (1st floor) and a private bath room (basement). Meals will be prepared and eaten together.
The orchard is located in Diekrich, 5 km away from our house.
The new house is located in Eppeldorf, 10 km away from our house.
Ettelbruck, our place, is perfectly connected to public transport (5 min walk to get to the central train station, 4 trains per hour):
- 25 minutes by train to Luxembourg City offering plenty of possibilities to visit the UNESCO World Heritage City Fortifications.
- 35 minutes by train to Clervaux hosting the Family of Man Photo Exhibition from Edward Steichen (part of the UNESCO's Memory of the World Register)
- in Luxembourg (country) you can find lot of castles (Vianden, Beaufort, Bourscheid , ...) and other historical sites (World War II, museums, roman sites, ...) all not further than 1 hour traveling.
- there is also a big hiking network starting at our city ("Escape Ardennes-Eislek Trail") or very accessible by public transport (like the Mullerthal Trail for example)
- a very beautiful lake with a hoover dam is also near our place (20-30 min by car) or by bus, ideal for swimming or sunbathing
- In the neighbouring countries: Paris is 2h00 by train; Brussels is 3h00 by train or 2h00 by car; Aachen, Maastricht are 2h00 by car; ...
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Maximum 25 hours a week