We are a friendly Swedish/Norwegian couple, Magda and Tor-Henrik, living in a beautiful and remote little village in the wilderness of Swedish Lapland, north of the Arctic Circle. Magda’s family has lived in this village for hundreds of years and Tor-Henrik is a dog musher, guide and archaeologist who also works with the Mountain Rescue. We have two small children who were born in 2014 and 2016. We have with lots of amazing nature right outside our doorstep. There are serveral National Parks (Sarek National Park for example) and nature reserves in our area. Several different hiking trails start directly from our village. The nearest little town is 100 kilometres away and our village has only 9 inhabitants.
We work with tourism for a living. In our family we have two different tourism businesses, a sleddog & activity company and a mountain lodge with cabins and a restaurant. We have a kennel of 12 Alaskan Huskies. As we work a lot with the tourism businesses and also have our kids to look after all the time, we need someone to come and help us with the dogs, and with other things that need to be done around in the village and around our house and garden.
We live close to nature and grow our own potatoes that last us the whole year round, we hunt our own moose meat and fish all our own fish, pick all the berries we need for the whole year in the summers and autumns, we also try to grow all our own vegetables in the summer.
We like to consider our volunteers part of our family, so if you come and stay with us you will really get to experience the local lifestyle!
- Learn how to take care of sleddogs and a lot about dogs in general.
- Experience the genuine lifestyle together with us locals!
- Wilderness skills.
- Learn how to use wild herbs for cooking and baking.
- Learn about the Sámi culture and history.
- Learn a bit of Swedish, Norwegian or the Northern Sámi language.
We are looking for a reliable, uncomplicated, happy and friendly volunteer with a love of dogs, nature and the countryside lifestyle!
A good physique is required as the help will include physical tasks in the dogyards, walking in heavy terrain and carrying heavy buckets of dogfood, heavy mucking, digging, gardening, painting and so on.
We generally expect you to volunteer for about 5 hours every day, sometimes less and sometimes more. Days normally start at about 9 in the morning. Tasks are endless when you have animals and the more time you spend around the animals, the happier they are!
There will be more to do some days and less to do other days.
The daily volunteer tasks:
Feeding and watering dogs.
Mucking out dogyards.
Helping with various projects around the dogyards, in the garden or around in the village.
English, Swedish, Norwegian, Northern Sámi
Accommodation in a small cabin in the village. Internet access is limited.
We provide you with breakfast food that you eat in your own little cabin in the mornings. You will have dinner together with the whole family in the afternoons
In your free time you can for example go hiking, trailrunning or canoeing. We live in the middle of beautiful nature and there are lots of different hiking trails that start directly from the village. If you want to, you can bring one of the huskies on your hike! We will show you exactly where to go and tell you all you need to know about the different trails.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION! Read carefully before applying!
- You need to be able to bring suitable boots for working outside in the dogyards and garden, for hiking etc.
- Non smokers only!
- You can not bring your own dog.
- Minimum age 20 years.
- Keep in mind that this is a very small, remote place with no shopping or nightlife and more animals than people around! You must love wilderness and a peaceful lifestyle to like it here.
- The Internet connection is pretty bad and very limited. You will not have wi-fi at your accommodation, but a TV with the Swedish channels. You can use the wi-fi in the restaurant in your spare time, but not make any big downloads as it is a limited wi-fi.
-You must also be happy working by yourself as we sometimes only host one volunteer at the time.
AND... most important! :)
- You must be very comfortable around dogs. Our huskies are happy & super friendly but they are also very energetic and intense! Being able to stay calm and confident around animals is very important.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Maximum 5 hours a day 5 days a week