The Museum is located in Húsavík, on the north coast of Iceland and is dedicated to the history of human exploration. Our current exhibition focuses on five topics, including our classics (Vikings, Polar Explorers and Astronauts) and more recent ones (Volcanoes and Caves). In fact, Húsavík was the first Viking settlement in Iceland, it is located just few kilometres away from the Arctic Circle and it is the closest town to the highlands area where Apollo astronauts trained twice in the '60s before flying to the Moon. Moreover, a distinctive feature of Iceland is its volcanic activity which also results in the underground world of lava tubes. We dream now of further expanding our exhibition.
Also, The Exploration Museum collaborates with agency 4th Planet Logistics as a key institution in Iceland both under the educational and the logistical points of view for the goals of the agency related to future human missions to Mars.
Helping with Tourists
Help with Computers / internet
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
The Exploration Museum of Húsavík is looking for an enthusiastic, responsible, proactive and versatile voluteer.
Main tasks in the museum are:
- reception work
- museum guiding
- development of a new exhibition
The main requirements for the work in the museum are:
- fluency in English (fluency in French or in any other language is a big plus)
- creativity and team working
- being available to start as soon as possible
- being available to stay at least until the end of September
Also, The Exploration Museum is a partner of American company 4th Planet Logistics:
The volunteer will be also involved in this partnership in a relevant position.
- coordinate all activities needed between 4thPL, the Museum, Icelandic institutions and international space agencies
- media exposure
- assisting with other tasks needed to help organize, fund and operate a non-profit arm of the company in Iceland
- assisting where/when required the objective of developing a Mars Society branch in-country
The volunteering could possibly result in a full/part-time job for 4thPL starting from October 2018.
Volunteers will have the chance to experience a lively and stimulating environment, with the opportunity of actively contributing in a creative way to the development of a growing cultural institution and of a company committed to help extending the boundaries of human exploration.
The Museum provides accommodation in a private room in a shared house for the whole period of the volunteering.
For the whole duration of the stay, free tickets for whale watching and free entrance to the other museums in town will be provided. Whenever possible, the staff of the museum will invite the volunteer on (multi)day trip/s.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
25 hours a week, 5 days