VOLUNEERING PROGRAM 2016
The Serere Eco-Reserve is a private reserve, situated in the rainforests of northern Bolivia. The Reserve is located 20 kilometres from the Madidi National Park. It occupies a surface of 4000 hectares and provides a natural shelter to a great diversity of flora and fauna with, among others, jaguars, tiger-cats, pumas, monkeys, reptiles and more than 300 bird-species. This rich biodiversity and healthy eco-system are a result of the conservational and protective activities carried out inside the Reserve.
Besides the fact that the Serere Reserve is situated at a strategic location of ecological wealth, it also dedicates its activities to a more sustainable development of the Madidi Mosaic. The Reserve can be reached by descending the River Beni and is located only two-and-a-half hours from Rurrenabaque. From La Paz, the town of Rurrenabaque can be reached both by air and by land. The journey by airplane takes 45 minutes and the journey by bus takes between 18 to 22 hours, approximately.
We work in eco-tourism and all our income goes to protect the reserve, that's why is important the volunteering. It's a bit personal effort to fight against climate change. For this reason, this program has an educational component, one of our goals, as well. We consider fundamental that people learn how feeble is our planet and the Importance of caring for what we still have.
We are looking for motivated and committed volunteers to support th eactivities in our office in Rurrenabaque and in our private Reserve Serere.
Our volunteers need to be enthusiastic, optimistic, demonstrate passion for what they do and have a high level of experience in their field of expertise. Moreover, they must proof a valuable asset to our team and at the same time be willing to learn about the Bolivian Amazon. And last but not least, they shouldn't be afraid of getting dirty hands.
The following volunteer openings are currently available:
- La Paz Office Volunteering: Supporting the development of our marketing strategy and helping with sales in our centrally located La Paz office.
- Rurrenabaque Office Volunteering: Supporting a wide range of duties in our busy office including sales, customer service and basic tourist information.
- Serere General Volunteering: This volunteering needs a period training in Rurrenabaque. It's a volunteering for flexible people. Volunteers will work in: a) translation, our team is made up of individuals from indigenous communities from the Madidi Mosaic. All team members have a profound knowledge of their natural environment but do not speak foreign languages. Translators are needed to accompany our guides and transfer their knowledge to our guests during their stay at Serere; b) supporting the whole team at our Serere Reserve from cleaning cabins to food preparation to helping tourists with their queries. Opportunities on occasion arise to help the field team dependant on experience; c) supporting our team working on our permaculture project helping the reserve to be as self-sustainable as possible. This is supplying organic vegetables and fruits for all of our staff and guests.
Note: At the end of their volunteering period all volunteers will obtain a certificate of recognition.
The minimum period of time required for free volunteering is four weeks. We cannot accept less time because you will need a training period in Rurrenabaque. It can vary depending on our needs.
We charge a deposit of 700 Bs. which will be returned when you leave, or from which deductions will be made if you have not fulfilled your part of the contract or if you have caused the company extra expenses.
If you are interested in our volunteering program and in order to evaluate where we could best place you if you decide to come, could you please let us know:
- What are your more specific interests?
- What do you think you could contribute to us?
- What are your strengths?
- Do you know Spanish?
- Do you have experience in sales?
- What it is you hope to learn from us?
- What are your expectations?
- Approximately what dates would you expect to come?
If you have any doubts, don't hesitate to ask us.
Rosamaria & The Serere team
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
Help with Computers / internet
We are looking for volunteers who are committed to help us. The work involves helping with translation, marketing, administration, sales of tourist packages, with the preparation and the arrival of the boat, food preparation, giving information, maintenance, repair of furniture and some desk jobs. Special projects depending on volunteers’ talents can be developed with the previous approval of the management.
We help you to find an economic hostel in La Paz and Rurrenabaque. In Serere we have cabins.
We offer tours to our protected natural reserve Serere in the Madidi Mosaic. This guided jungle tour normally costs around 95 Dollars a day. Volunteers, as a reward for their help, can enter the jungle for 4 days at the end of their stay for free. So they get 3 meals a day, first class acomodation and guided tours in the Jungle.
But during the first part of your stay in Rurrenabaque we can´t offer free acomodation and food, but we can help finding economic accommodations (down to 20 Bs. a day) and, of course, the free use of the office kitchen.
More than two
max 25 hours
In developing countries (Where most hosts are involved in charity work or community development) some of our hosts may ask for a small donation to help the host family or charity (often less then 5 dollars per day) Workaway will allow this listing when the donation goes directly to the family or charity and is just to cover the cost of the volunteers stay. (This will be clearly marked on the host listing).
We will strictly not allow listings posted by agents, “middle men” or projects who we feel are looking to profit from a volunteers stay.
My Photo Album
Please log in and visit this profile to leave your feedback.