First of all: please read everything and don't send me a massmail :)
My name is Thomas and I live in a colorful community/neighborhood (of 16 different nationalities) of people who found and come together through veganism and bought these over 100ha (1.000.000m²) of land in the South West Algarve. Now the first members are moving in to the land and some of us, like me, are happy for every helping hands.
I am looking mainly for help at my own spot here and offer you vegan food and a place to stay in a nice, natural environment.
The land is and will stay in natural condition (it is not a regular farm). We have the vision of a land full of food, flowers and trees, a place of small and infinite walk-able ways and natural, well hidden buildings. We want to create a place that is an example of a cruelty-free world where people help each other and all the animals. A place that encourages creativity and entrepreneurship.
So I are looking forward to every, motivated inquiry.
- We are dispersed on the land, sometimes you have to hike a bit for more social interaction.
- Sometimes I have up to 7 helpers at the same time, but you can also be the only one.
It means, please don't expect to much about the social topic. We called a community, but that means not that we have every day community activitis. We dont live close together as the land is huge and everyone have his own projects.
However, usually I do not plan longer ahead than arround one month, so please adjust and always state your desired time period.
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Some volunteers are looking mainly for a cheap vacation and some of them don't like the hard work; I totally understand it, but here I have only physical work to do, so you have to be fit ;)
There are mostly different task and you can choose from them. Also, you can decide for yourself when to start, when to take breaks and when do you take a day off.
for example :
- Cave digging (if you do this job, you only need to work 4h a day)
- Gardening (digging, planting, building raised beds)
- Woodwork (for that you need some skills)
- Painting and lacquering/finishing
- Forest clearing
- make firewood
- work with clay
You have also to be a bit independent with a eye for what have to be done.
We are an international (not native) community and physically a bit isolated from local settlements, but you can certainly learn sometimes/something about off-grid living, permaculture, wood-working, veganism and non-violent ways of life. It depends a lot on how long you will stay.
German (native), English (Community Standard), a little bit of many others
- There is running water and a hot indoor shower but we have to shower short and only with biodegradable soap/shampoo. And in general we have to save water.
- electricity around the clock (via solar), but in the nights we also have to save a bit electricity.
- the food will be shared and is basic, in the morning toast, oats & marmalade and I cook ones per day. If you have special needs, like coffee, beer, sojmilk you have to bring it by your self (but please only vegan stuff).
- Internet is also free, but you have only a WiFi-signal arround the outdoor kitchen.
- You can slep in the treehouse (it is not complet finish) or in one of the tents. There are mattress, blankets and pillows. You can also come with your one Tent- or Campervan.
Friendly dogs are also welcome.
In you offtime you can go surfing if you are mobile by your one (the closest beach is 8km by car), explore the nature, do yoga, go swiming in one of a close by lake or visit others people in the community.
The closest "village" is pedralva, in case you have no car, I can pick you up there and sometimes also in Budens or Vila Do Bispo.
Be aware: I can't offer a shuttle service and we life in the wild with no close bus station or good roads.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
max 5 hours a day (max 25 hours, 5 days/week)