18/09/2019 - 18/10/2019
Hello! My name is Freya and I am from Vancouver, Canada!
For almost 1.5 years (2017 to 2018), I was on a sabbatical break to pursue other passions such as traveling and being part of local community projects. Some of my goals for this career break is to de-couple from routine of a full time corporate job and grow differently. Through workaway, I hope to secure experiences that will allow me to learn from and help others. The bonus is I get to live and experience the local culture.
I have participated in many different workaway experiences since early 2017, such as:
- a scuba dive cultural exchange in the Philippines (Dauin, Negros Island)
- assist in cleaning and painting the interior of a new guesthome in the Philippines (Coron, Palawan)
- helped build a long house, and landscaping duties in a Borneo jungle camp
- English conversation practice tutoring in Japan and Korea
- stayed with a lovely family to help manage their guesthome in rural Japan
- family homestay experience in Kathmandu, Nepal
I have 8 years of project management experience working in software project development and support. I can understand technical concepts fast and have intermediate computer skills. I am a fast learner and have a fond interest in technology, and curious about its social impacts. Currently, I work as a Digital Project Manager in Canada.
Remote & off-the-beaten path travel appeals to me. I enjoy traveling, experiencing different cultures and spaces, meeting new people, and simply learning about different things.
My style of travel tends to focus on outdoor adventures near mountains or water - I am an avid runner, alpine hiker, and also enjoy water sport activities like scuba diving and surfing.
I prefer to keep a vegetarian diet (dairy, eggs and seafood are okay at times) but I am also open minded to try different foods while traveling. I have many experiences living with others, and do my part. I respect the common spaces, and keep my personal space clean and tidy.
Babysitting / child care
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
Help with Computers / internet
- project management, particularly software background. Thus, I am very organized, and have strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Very familiar with Word applications - excel, outlook, word processing
- Wordpress blog creation and maintenance
- Research - I like planning, and have done many trips on my own. I am a detailed planner.
- Adaptable to new tasks, given initial guidance
- comfortable to work independently/self-sufficient, or in groups.
- When I can, I write and maintain a personal blog about my travels in Wordpress: https://freytures.wordpress.com/
- Being healthy through being active is important to me; I like trail running, hiking, playing beach volleyball, and I'd like to do more surfing. I also like do yoga and meditation to help keep me grounded
- I studied Systems Engineering in University, and although I am very rusty with computer programming, I am a fast learner with technical concepts.
Special dietary requirements
I prefer vegetarian diet (eggs, dairy, fish are ok!) but I can be flexible and will eat meat sometimes.