Favourited 13 times
We are a young couple with a 4 year old toddler (Derrick, Paola & Ikal), running a nonprofit organization based on union and community self-management in the agricultural sector through services that promote food sovereignty from agroecology.
Short/long story goes like this: After hurricane Maria, us and a group of people from the island got a scholarship at Earthship Biotecture Academy at Taos NM. There we started studying about sustainable and resilient systems for housing and other structures. Once we came back we started working on a disaster relief project located at TainaSoy Apiario in the town of Aguada. During the first year, still not having a secure home, we decided to buy a shuttle bus and convert it into a sustainable tiny home with the mission of finding a farm in where we could anchor our deepest roots. We moved around five different farms until we got to Plato Indio, Las Marias where we’re finally staying.
Here we have 2 houses, around 50 acre of farm land and a beautiful river surrounding us in witch we will help creat a fruit forest that’s gonna be stablished for generations.
Help with Eco Projects
DIY and building projects
Babysitting and creative play
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
Help with Computers/ Internet
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
Our organization is community based in witch you’ll find yourself being part of activities and experiences that are gonna help connect local people so we all work and farm together for a future built on food sovereignty and self-reliance.
1) Teachers - we have a four year old toddler and need assistance during our home-school hours and work days.
2) Welders - need to weld together entrance gates. Need to finish kitchen counter top and shelfs.
3) Electricians- currently running on a 48v, 4000W solar system that needs to be transferred from the shuttle bus to the house and connect to the main breakers.
4) Farmers- Recently opened old road ways around the 50 acre and are currently working on water management and erosion control systems using bank stabilization plants such as vetiver. Cleaning and tagging of stablished fruit crops.
5) Cooks- we only have one communal kitchen at the moment to share with everyone. Usually people rotate the role of cooking during the day as also as dish washing. You should be capable of cooking big meals in an conscious, organized and healthy way.
This host offers a language exchange
Open to learn new languages and share the ones I know.
1) Hostel type of situation: big room with 2 bunk beds, 1 futon and small kitchenette.
2) Camping area: plenty of camping spots with the most magical views at Las Marias mountains.
Shower and compost toilet are comunal.
Plenty of rivers and beaches close by, such as good restaurants and local towns. Unless you already rent a car, up in the mountains we can provide the contact of a driver that can take you around or You can ride with us whenever we go down to town.
Our work hours usually starts early in the morning unless we got to go out to town.
Space for at least 4 campers
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week