PLEASE CONTACT US IN SPANISH
FAVOR DE CONTACTARNOS EN ESPAÑOL
As a Mayan family we have spent many years dedicating ourselves to the creation and preservation of an eco tourism centre situated in the Mayan jungle zone of Quintana Roo, Mexico. This area is very rural and perfect for reconnecting with nature. Our eco tourism centre is located in the heart of the jungle so we are surrounded by many animals including iguanas, many species of birds and in the rainy season mosquitos. Please be aware that encounters with insects and reptiles is common so do not be alarmed.
We are very proud of our beautiful culture and we enjoy sharing all aspects of it with guests and volunteers. Our Center is perfect to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet we now struggle to find in the bustling cities. Other than being part of the natural environment the Center also has its own restaurant, pool area, various gardens, jungle trails, ecological cabins and event areas.
As part of a co-operative we work closely with the local communities and encourage you to visit these in your spare time, as the locals will greatly appreciate you experiencing their way of life. We have many bicycles you can use to get to know the surrounding areas.
We are not just looking for hard working volunteers, we are looking for people who want to share their time with us, learn about our culture and be part of our family. As part of our family you will assist us with daily tasks such as keeping common areas clean and tidy, feeding the many animals, attending the restaurant, communicating with guests, maintaining trails and tending to the garden.
We share meals with each other and during these times we enjoy exchanging stories and ideas. We believe it is important to learn everyday. This is also a great time to promote our Mayan culture.
If you enjoy nature and you are interested in knowing the Mayan Culture, you will spend a very pleasant time with us.
Help with Eco Projects
DIY and building projects
Help with Computers/ Internet
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
We can teach you many words from the Mayan language, how to make our most common and delicious foods including tortillas and tamales. We can show you how to sow seeds, make bracelets using natural materials and what medicinal plants are used for certain ailments. We have bicycles which you are free to use to get to know our community, with the nearest one being a flat 25 minutes ride away. We have many trails that lead into the surrounding jungle that you are welcome to explore. We also encourage you to partake in the experiences that we offer the guests these include learning how to make an underground oven to cook tamales, tours through the jungle to gather gum and visits to a local pineapple farm. You will also learn much about our ancient culture and its history, a story that is greatly embedded in the foundation and heart of Mexico.
Some of the tasks you can support us with are:
- Clearing the orchards, gardens and trails. This involves removing leaves, fallen branches, sowing seeds and turning over the compost.
- Photography: If you like photography or have a good eye, you can support us by taking some pictures or videos of the place, tours and experiences we offer.
- We would like you to teach us your language in your free time or when we have no visitors, we have two children who like to learn. We also could do with some assistance translating some texts and communicating with visitors and guests who may not speak Spanish.
- We can also teach you our mother tongue, which is Maya, or we can help you improve your Spanish. The language will not be difficult to communicate.
- Knowledge in social networks, design and other hosting platforms would be greatly useful.
- If you are experienced with repairing and maintaining bicycles that would be greatly appreciated also .
This host offers a language exchange
nos gustaria aprender tu idioma y nosotros enseñarte el de nosotros que es maya. en tus momentos libres sera un gusto
We have two rooms; one inside with two king beds and one more rustic room built in a traditional Mayan way with two double beds. Both rooms share a bathroom but close to the building are more bathrooms and a shower. There is a swimming pool and hammocks available for you to enjoy in your downtime.
We ask you to bring your towel for the shower, and your personal cleaning products, natural insect repellent and sunscreen. We have drinking water located at the restaurant. We have a laundry area for you to wash your clothes by hand but we ask you to bring your own eco/biological detergent.
We ask you to support us for 5 hours, 5 days a week. On the days you work you will receive three meals, these are simple and nutritious mostly consisting of fruit, beans and corn based dishes. On your rest day we suggest you visit the local communities as they will greatly appreciate your presence, they enjoy getting to know visitors and have much knowledge to share with you.
INFORMATION USEFUL FOR VOLUNTEERS
We are located 10km from the nearest town and our community Chunhuhub. Our address is federal highway via short Tampak Chetumal - Merida. Our center is named Selva Bonita
* ️️️️ Mayab buses: route Chetumal-Mérida
This bus can stop right in front of the Ecotourism Center
* ️️️️ Mayab buses: Mérida-Chetumal route
This bus can stop right in front of the Ecotourism Center
* ️️️️Red colectivo: covering the route Chetumal - José María Morelos - Chetumal the runs are every hour. This goes to the center of Chunhuhub. From there take a taxi to get to the Ecotourism Center.
* ️️️️Blue colectivo: covering the route Chetumal - Chunhuhub - Chetumal the runs are every hour. This colectivo goes to the center of Chunhuhub. From there, take a taxi to get to the Ecotourism Center.
* ️️️️White colectivo: covering the route Felipe Carrillo Puerto-José María Morelos-Felipe Carrillo Puerto the runs are from 15 to 30 minutes. This goes to the center of Chunhuhub. From there take a taxi to get to the Ecotourism Center.
NEARBY PLACES OF INTEREST:
On your days off, if you wish, you can visit some nearby communities. Some particular interesting locations are Tihosuco a place in which a was war was started and Kantemo the location of an extreme adventure cave famous for the hanging pendants. There is also Chacchoben home of important archaeological sites and various Cenotes (Hamtun de dzula, Cenote de Sacalaca, and lagoons Chichankanab de dziuche, Sijilnoha de Felipe carrillo puerto.
We are also 1 hour 20 minutes from Bacalar, 2 hours from Chetumal, 2 hours from Mahahual, 2 hours from Tulum
1 hour from Felipe Carrillo (visit the talking cross) and 20 minutes from Jose Maria Morelos.
You will be treated as part of our family, for that reason you will share many things with us, we will only expect from you the greatest effort and commitment while you have a good time with us.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
Maximum 5 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: