Favourited 822 times
*️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️ preference given to workawayers willing to stay 6 weeks or longer*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️
My name is Liah.
I have recently begun managing a Community Hostel in a very remote location near the Semuc Champey National Park, and I am in need of some help.
We are currently looking for volunteers to supplement our full time staff in order to help maintain our high standards of cleanliness and excellent customer service. We currently have two positions that need filling:
1) GENERAL MAINTENANCE - "handyman" type of work. If you know how to fix a leaky toilet or faucet, have experience with PVC plumbing, know how to prime and start a water pump, have basic electrical and wiring experience, have any carpentry experience, than we are looking for you. We would love to find someone who is looking for a semi permanent stay, or someone who could be willing to stay for several months.
2) YOGA INSTRUCTOR - We are always looking for yoga teachers. We just finished building a yoga studio that overlooks our waterfall on the river. It is the perfect yoga spot in the middle of the jungle. The current plan is to look for volunteers who are also yoga teachers. The more roles we can fill with a smaller amount of people, the better, as we are a small place with limited space. We would also be very interested in having 1 or 2 long term teachers. Specifically someone who would take control and ownership of the yoga part of our hostel. Creating signs and advertisements and working on creating a complete yoga experience for our guests. There are lots of opportunities to create a smoothie bar, meditation circles, workshops and so on. We literally just finished the studio so the world of yoga is a brand new blank canvas for us and we would love help from the right people to get it all off to a great start.
The typical volunteer would be someone who is a self motivated self starter who sets high standards for themselves. The right volunteer would also be someone who enjoys spending time with people and is customer service oriented, as part of the work will be keeping guests happy, answering questions, playing games, etc. We are visited by guests from all over the world, and we are surrounded by an indigenous Mayan population, so there is a huge opportunity to learn about many different cultures all while enjoying a beautiful and secluded spot, right in the middle of raw nature.
We are also interested in hearing from volunteers who specialize in one or several of these other areas, as it would be great to have some help in these fields as well - yoga instructors, photographers with a quality camera, online marketing / SEO optimization, accounting, hotel or business management, gardening / permaculture, and artists or painters.
About us and the hostel:
We are a very chill group of people. Many volunteers who come here have commented that they feel more like part of a family than they do a helper at a hostel. We pride ourselves in making all of our guests feel at home, and providing them with excellent service while they are here.
Visiting the hostel is a unique experience, unlike any other in Guatemala, as we are most likely the most remote hostel in the entire country. Arriving here means hiking through the jungle for 30 minutes down an ancient Mayan path (we provide a guide). We are doing our best to live as sustainably as possible, but we still have a long way to go. We get all of our electricity from a solar system and use a generator as a backup. We collect rain water for our sinks, showers, and toilets. We have been planting since the moment we moved in, and several of our trees and plants are starting to produce their first fruits and vegetables. The property is located right on the edge of a river, with a waterfall and a natural pool only a few minutes walk from our cabins (during the dry season only). We also offer the only community kitchen in the area, so we typically attract the outgoing nature loving hiking type of chill backpackers. If this sounds like you then we would like to hear from you.
We will provide all food, but as we are a small place and have very limited rooms, we are currently offering volunteers space in a tent (provided) under a roof, with a mattress and blankets and pillows and everything needed to get a good nights sleep. We are a very easy going group of people, and we are very easy to get along with. Please send me a message if you fit the requirements.
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
Help with Computers / internet
All of our neighbors are mayan farmers. Many of the tours that we offer focus around sharing the local mayan culture.
Volunteers will be asked to help with daily activities involving the hostel, focusing on what they would like to contribute. We need help interacting with guests, and help around the house.
- make the hostel clean
- being creative and have some ideas to customize the place
- wash the plate / bathroom / place / floor / room / make beds
- teach english or spanish to local people we are working with
- having communication with local living all around
- welcome our guests
- helping with tourists / interact with them
- making some drinks with natural ginger and curcuma
- helping with the garden
- take care of the place
- enjoy your time !
Camping in a covered area in a tent that includes a mattress, pillow, blankets, etc.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
5 hours a day 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: