Favourited 166 times
UPDATE 16 March 2020: We have an immediate opening for one workawayer.
We have had ten workawayers stay here so far. Each workawayer has stayed between 2 weeks and 20 weeks (most for 2-4 weeks) and the results have been very overwhelmingly positive!
We live in a single-family house that is 100m away from the beach. Our beach offers swimming in the ocean (Long Island Sound) from July through September. We are in the city of Stamford (120,000 people) which is located 45 minutes from NYC by train.
We need someone who is fluent in English, reliable, and willing to help consistent hours on our large organizing/simplifying/accounting project. Please be available for at least two weeks. All our workawayers thus far have come for between 2 weeks and 8 weeks.
Cooking / shopping
Help in the house
Help with Computers / internet
We have been hosting visitors from other countries for 15 years, and have enjoyed many interesting conversations with our international guests. I have studied in Europe and traveled to 6 continents, and have lived here for 15 years so I know all about the Connecticut area.
We are happy to include workawayers in our family activities and we often invite them to join us on our adventures (swimming, sailing, hiking, cycling, flying in small airplanes, etc.).
I am looking for someone who can help with three different things.
1. Cleaning and tidying the house and garden, including helping to prepare dinner and clean up afterwards.
2. Doing office paperwork (filing, sorting, organizing, keeping up to-do lists).
3. Help with a major reducing and simplifying project: decluttering, sorting, and listing unneeded items on eBay, craigslist, and Freecycle.
Your specific help while you are here will be
- Helping me prepare dinner (on days you are eating dinner here)
- Helping clean up after dinner (on days when you are eating dinner here)
- Organizing, decluttering, and simplifying the house - every room, every shelf, and every drawer, one at a time!
- Sorting receipts and bank statements, entering amounts into spreadsheets, and filing the receipts
- Listing unneeded items on ebay/craigslist(taking pictures, writing ebay listings, and packaging up items for shipment)
- Helping with me to keep the kitchen and living areas clean
- Mowing the lawn (1 hour, once a week, May-November)
- Pulling weeds from the garden (1.5 hours, once a week, June-September)
What type of person are we looking for? I'm glad you asked!
We have now hosted about ten workawayers from a wide variety of backgrounds. From our experience so far, we have observed that the workawayers who have the best experience here are people who are:
- clear communicators
- accustomed to getting up in time to prepare their own breakfast before showing up to help on time... and delving into the tasks without direct supervision
Of course you will also have lots of time off (weekends and evenings) so you will want to plan excursions to NYC.
Here's an example of what we mean by "resourceful":
You are given a task to do, and halfway through it, you run into an obstacle (something we don't have or don't know, that is needed to complete the task). Do you:
(a) shrug your shoulders, move on to something else, and later tell your host you couldn't do the task
(b) use the internet to research the problem/figure out ways we can overcome it; make a brief list of possible solutions; then show your list to your host, with your suggestion of the best solution.
English & German
You will have your own private bedroom in our family home. The room has a full size bed, dresser, desk, a TV and a stereo. It connects to a shared bathroom.
We have one cat. He is very friendly. He does not go into your bedroom.
It is 1.9 miles (3 km) from our house to the Stamford train station. The train ride from there to NYC is 50 minutes and costs $13.
We have a beach 100m from our home which is good for swimming in summer (July-October). It is also good for sailing (April-October).
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
25 hours a week (5 hours per day, 4-5 days per week)