Favourited 114 times
We are Richard and Gloria. We moved to Chiriqui after buying a farm where we’re working on growing food, raising animals, and raising our family. We welcomed our first child in January. We have cows, horses, and chickens. We're planting more food plants every day. We are looking for workawayers to join us at our new house at the farm for a minimum stay of 2 weeks, but prefer longer stays.
We have a 7 hectare organic farm in a small town of the Chiriqui province of Panama, about 10km from the border with Costa Rica on the Pacific coast. Chiriqui is known for its black volcanic soil, pleasant tropical climate, and being the food basket of the country. We love our local community, everyone is very friendly and growing food in some form or another. They are all happy to talk with you if you know enough Spanish. Cows are the main business here, but you will also see vast fields of corn, yucca, beans, tobacco, papaya, rice, sorghum.
Our house is a spacious 3bed/2bath and stays nice and cool. Since you will have a bedroom inside of our home, we’re looking for someone happy to socialize with us and the baby, as well as doing their fair share of cooking and cleaning without needing to be asked or supervised. We like to take turns making family meals.
- No smokers!
- Looking for people with some direction in their life. Especially happy to host people looking to move to Panamá permanently.
- This is a farm, not a retreat. We start work at 7am before the sun gets strong.
- Please bring your own rubber boots. It rains A LOT here. You can find them in the town of La Concepcion on the way to our farm for $6-$15.
- This is our home, not a hostel. We are not looking for people who want to shut themselves in their room all day.
- We don’t have wifi yet but you can buy a sim card for $1 and have unlimited internet for $5/wk.
Our home is only 40 minutes from the city of David, and about 15 minutes from the town of La Concepción. About 1.5 hours from the nicer beaches near San Felix. Same for whale watching in the right season. About 1 hour from Volcan. About 1.5 hours from Boquete.
We traveled with workaway for 7 months through Panama and Costa Rica, and had wonderful experiences and hope you do too!
Help with Eco Projects
DIY and building projects
Babysitting and creative play
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
Learn from a young couple about starting a farm and a family. The majority of people around here speak only Spanish, but we also have expat friends from all over the world. You are still within a day-trip of all of Chiriqui! This would be a great opportunity to experience the grassroots of Panama.
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
- Help around the farm. Machete chopping, chainsawing, weedwhacking, planting, wood construction, animal care, fence building and maintenance.
- Help around the house. Someone who can cook independently for the family. Help with basic household cleaning.
- Open to artists skilled in murals if you wanted to share your talents. We will need to see your work to see if your style matches ours.
One bedroom with a queen sized bed in a spacious 3bed/2bath house.
If you’d like to share meals with us then we ask you to share the costs of what we buy. We expect you to do your fair share of cooking and cleaning. You can always buy your own food and cook on your own as well.
Buses easily take you all around Chiriqui, and we are happy to visit places nearby with workawayers staying with us for longer. As this is a small town, most of our neighbors speak only Spanish. We're pretty flexible with longer workstays if they'd like to use our home as a base to explore a bit of the region.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: