We, Rene and Julie, are an active married couple offering a beautiful, tranquil and spacious homestay with high ethical standards to like-minded folks that complement our vision and offer us assistance on a range of projects in exchange for food/drinks and lodging in quality surrounds with exceptionally rich wildlife.
Rene is an Architect, Landscaper, Photographer, as well as Traveller at heart and originally from Switzerland. Julie is a dedicated & busy Chef that has earned herself hight accolades, originally from the Philippines.
We are married for 34 years and have lived in Australia for 26 years, the past 9 years at our current home.
Pls, note that ours is a non-commercial private project :)
Help in the house
Help with Computers / internet
This is on offer for you:
- Quality accommodation.
- Top hosts (based on other volunteering experience - we are new to Workaway but trust we can establish ourselves here quickly). Most of our all-positive referencing has been established via other networks.
- The best local knowledge you will ever get on exploring the Gold Coast and its fabulous hinterland. plus many more tips available for the rest of Australia & beyond.
- Sightseeing trips to local attractions.
- Getting an insight into many trades that are associated with the beautification work of our property. Such as landscaping in general, building of sandstone rock walls, gardening, et all.
- Getting assisted in whatever you need, from finding jobs, renting/buying a surfboard to purchasing cars, or what else may be along those lines.
With virtually all the ‘heavy lifting’ completed transforming/beautifying/landscaping our amazing 12,000sqm elevated bush property -and THANK YOU, the many great folks that by their top efforts assisted us getting there- we are now setting sails on the next phase of the project that will see big changes to how we will move forward 2019. We have decided on travelling again starting late April, and therefore adjusted our outlook for assistance needed:
March: Completing maintenance projects. Looking for people with the following skills: Property maintenance, carpenters, plasterers, electricians (incl auto electricians for our caravan), plumbers, irrigators, painters. Or simply folks that have GOOD experience in these fields.
March into April: More the tech side of things in the second phase of travel preparations (refreshers & advancers), software engineers, web designers, folks with profound know-how of drone piloting and/or digital applications (PS/LR/FB/IG, et al), IT (NAS, data management, et al). A bit a touch up in videography could be handy as well!
Plus we may also require people helping us moving furniture into downstairs storage ahead of planned travel in case of it being required.
May & beyond: We will be away travelling ourselves, as such will cease being hosts for the foreseeable future
Plus we always look for folks that have a sharpened pencil when it comes to online selling (eBay, Gumtree, FB Marketplace) as we like to sell off plenty of surplus stuff before travelling.
Our regular number of Volunteers is back to a max of 2 at any given time plus people joining us will gain valuable know-how in property beautification, maintenance work plus much more.
Working with us may well build a stepping stone towards paid labour (with appropriate visa), as we do assist suitable HelpXers gaining jobs in multiple ways, incl referencing.
> Other tasks & info:
We appreciate people sharing general housekeeping and cooking duties with a focus on cleanliness plus healthy food.
We normally assign people to tasks that they are best suited for and try to be as flexible as possible of how the exchange work hours per week are structured, allowing you to plan your own stay sensibly.
We appreciate good communication to allow smooth operation of work duties.
English, German, Swiss, Filipino
> ACCOMMODATION and HELP EXCHANGE (Still listing the lot despite likely not using much of them moving forward)
A1 and 2) We have two beautiful guest rooms with queen size beds (slightly larger than doubles). They exchange for 25hrs/pw/pp.
B1 and 2) We have two fully equipped & comfortably set up permanent tent options. They are discounted as they are our preferred option for guests to stay and they prove to be very popular! The tent options of course also include access to the house for use of all common areas incl living/kitchen/dining plus shower/toilet.
B1: The ‘Dune’. A $1000 top-of-the-range dual chamber tent that also features a 3x3m gazebo, covering an outdoor living area. Bedding: Queen size. We provide everything: mattresses, beddings, power, internet.
B2: The ‘Black Wolf’. A $700 top-of-the-range dual chamber dome tent that also features a 3x3m gazebo, covering an outdoor living area. Bedding: Queen size. We provide everything: mattresses, beddings, power, internet.
They exchange for 21hrs/pw/pp.
When enquiring, pls indicate your accom preference incl excluding any accom you find unsuitable for yourself.
> ETHICS, STANDARDS and OTHER INFO:
- We appreciate and respect your private space as we appreciate you will respect ours.
- We appreciate mature, well-mannered, honest, clean and orderly people that are used to living in shared living arrangements.
- We are a strictly non-smoking, no party place.
- The common language here is English, especially in mixed language presences. We appreciate your attention to that. Thank you!
- We can cater for both, Vegetarians and Non-Vegetarians.
- As this is a very quiet area (beyond the sounds of the wildlife), we have a 9pm lock-down arrangement that can be extended on weekends or special occasions.
- We do offer regular sightseeing trips to local and regional highlights on a time exchange basis for those that stay with us as an added bonus as well as to balance work and pleasure.
- We are seasoned travellers plus lived here over 25 years! We offer free tips and information on a broad spectrum of travel & lifestyle-related topics you may find helpful.
- If you don’t have your own transport, we will make arrangements for drop-offs and pick-ups at the following locations depending on your arrival/departure method:
A) By air: GC Airport
B) By train from Brisbane: Varsity Lakes Station.
C) By bus: Pines Elanora Bus Station.
This service is free of charge for people that stay for at least 2 weeks. All shorter stays using that service incur a small time-exchange.
- Any other services you may require are done on an availability/time exchange basis.
- All photos on this profile are taken at our truly wonderful abode.
- We also have a long past owning and running Restaurants and Resorts, plus owning and managing Holiday Let`s. As such, we are used being around guests and visitors.
- We are located in an elevated and forested area of the southern Gold Coast with close proximity to all amenities such as beaches, shopping centres, plus even an international airport (Gold Coast) etc.
- We don’t mind being the official PO for our Volunteers… as these days that is standard. We pride ourselves in being most reliable & responsible with your mail directed to our address… even after you long departed. We’ll forward everything promptly, preferably in digital form.
- We have excellent unlimited cable internet access at our home, being distributed within the premises via WIFI.
- We can assist you in purchasing a car, surfboard, finding paid jobs, et all.
Thanking you and looking forward to hearing from you!
Rene and Julie
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Maximum 25 hours a week