We have recently tuned in again after a 3-year absence from hosting due to our own travels & COVID and have had a few volunteers from various networks with us since that. Not quite the same as in the past, as there are, of course, much fewer volunteers around these days compared to pre-COVID.
Our project offers a serene homestay at a tranquil, forested, 3-acre (12,900sqm) property on the Southern Gold Coast, boasting rich wildlife and so much more. It is close to everything a great cosmopolitan city with some of the world's best beaches, social life, plus historic Gondwana rainforest hinterland can offer.
Our accommodation offers include 2 comfortable bedrooms with queen-size beds… plus a couple of luxury tent setups that are highly fancied semi-clamping style and proved very popular in the past.
We are the perfect place for mature, pro-active, responsible, clean & honest travellers that love the good life but don’t mind getting their hands dirty if required while wishing to stay at a quality homestay assisting us in various tasks as listed:
- DIY home building projects
- Property maintenance
- Plus as a sideline, IT & photography-related tasks incl drone piloting.
When applying with us, pls list your individual skills, strengths & weaknesses, things you are looking for, et al, so we get a good idea of who you are and how your possible stay can best be accommodated for the benefit of all parties involved.
We used to have a good number of great folks with us in the 'old days' (2015-2019), from various networks, and really enjoyed the experience as we enjoy good company plus the sharing of quality time enriching each other's life experiences.
We are flexible in regard to conditions & exchange hours but would think that 20 hours a week for the rooms plus 15 hours per week for the tents is a good exchange guide. That is for dual accom and may vary for single accom.
You could also use us as a base for paid casual/part-time work in the city, and depending on skills, there may even be some money to be earned here as well.
We are a fit & energetic older couple with the following background:
- Rene, 66yo, Swiss origin, Architect/Photographer/Traveller.
- Julie, 62yo, Philippine origin, Chef/Traveller.
Our current operations are different from the past in that they are probably a lot more casual & diverse with most of the hard landscaping work (large-scale sandstone terracing) completed… now it is more the ‘touch and go’, eg detailed smaller projects to complement the completed big one.
Based on our location, having your own transport will enhance your mobility, but we are more than happy to assist you with getting around, incl being picked up & delivered back on departure to public transport links. No probs at all!
We offer a varied & healthy cuisine that can cater to any tastes & preferences and invite visitors to join in creating lovely meals & dining experiences.
Pls note that our household is strictly non-smoking, no pets, thank you.
Looking forward to welcoming you soon & wishing all of you well always
With kind regards
Rene & Julie
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
Help with Computers/ Internet
We can offer interested travellers an abundance of information plus shared quality time as we are experienced hosts that had a good number of travellers via a number of networks over the years, plus are ourselves seasoned travellers with rich life experience.
We also offer assistance in finding work plus with 'paperwork' plus offer a weekly sight-seeing trip to local attractions.
We are currently looking for travellers that can assist us in home maintenance to gardening... plus IT-related tasks. When applying with us, pls list your individual skills, strengths & weaknesses, things you are looking for, et al, so we get a good idea of who you are and how things can be worked out. N/A
We currently offer 2 separate bedrooms... perhaps even the just completed self-contained granny flat... or even a tent site to the more adventurous.
> ETHICS, STANDARDS and OTHER INFO:
- We appreciate and respect your private space as we appreciate you will respect ours.
- We appreciate mature, well-mannered, honest, clean and orderly people that are used to living in shared living arrangements.
- We are a strictly non-smoking, no party place.
- The common language here is English, especially in mixed language presences. We appreciate your attention to that. Thank you!
- We can cater for both, Vegetarians and Non-Vegetarians.
- As this is a very quiet area (beyond the sounds of the wildlife), we have a 9pm lock-down arrangement that can be extended on weekends or special occasions.
- We do offer regular sightseeing trips to local and regional highlights on a time exchange basis for those that stay with us as an added bonus as well as to balance work and pleasure.
- We are seasoned travellers plus lived here over 25 years! We offer free tips and information on a broad spectrum of travel & lifestyle-related topics you may find helpful.
- If you don’t have your own transport, we will make arrangements for drop-offs and pick-ups at the following locations depending on your arrival/departure method:
A) By air: GC Airport
B) By train from Brisbane: Varsity Lakes Station.
C) By bus: Pines Elanora Bus Station.
This service is free of charge for people that stay for at least 2 weeks. All shorter stays using that service incur a small time-exchange.
- Any other services you may require are done on an availability/time exchange basis.
- All photos on this profile are taken at our truly wonderful abode.
- We also have a long past owning and running Restaurants and Resorts, plus owning and managing Holiday Let`s. As such, we are used being around guests and visitors.
- We are located in an elevated and forested area of the southern Gold Coast with close proximity to all amenities such as beaches, shopping centres, plus even an international airport (Gold Coast) etc.
- We don’t mind being the official PO for our Volunteers… as these days that is standard. We pride ourselves in being most reliable & responsible with your mail directed to our address… even after you long departed. We’ll forward everything promptly, preferably in digital form.
- We have excellent unlimited cable internet access at our home, being distributed within the premises via WIFI.
- We can assist you in purchasing a car, surfboard, finding paid jobs, et all.
Thanking you and looking forward to hearing from you!
Rene and Julie
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
Digital nomads: We offer a great, peaceful & creative place for you, incl top unlimited internet.
Workawayers travelling in a campervan: Our property is at the end of a cul-de-sac in a peaceful & quiet street and there is plenty of space to park a campervan.
More than two