Our new business started when we lost our islands to flooding from Isimba Dam in 2018. Our aim is to offer affordable, comfortable and clean accommodation set in an environment where guests feel at home. Our ethos has always been focused on limiting our impact on the environment as much as possible and we continue this mission with our development in Jinja.
Grey water systems have been installed to water our gardens, we have provided eco solar lighting throughout and recycle and re-use as much as possible. We use all the kitchen scraps and garden cuttings to make our own compost. We offer all clients free filtered water to limit the use of plastic .
We have committed to helping a primary school in a community close to us in order to assist them with rain water harvesting, building more classrooms, improving their current compost toilet and installing a bio-digester off their current composting toilet to provide enough gas for cooking, thereby reducing their need for charcoal.
Pre Covid, we often hosted primary and secondary schools (from within and outside Uganda) for outward bound educational learning; teaching children about the environment in which they are living; their impact on the environment and showing them ways in which they can minimise their impact on this beautiful planet as much as possible.
Currently, we are looking for a suitable individual, (or couple) to assist us in the day to day operations of our business; from staff training and development to customer liaison and promotional activities.
Help with Eco Projects
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
Help with Computers/ Internet
Travellers to Jinja, Uganda would be exposed to an incredible community with a diverse cultural mix. Jinja is known as the adventure capital of Uganda and does not disappoint! Ugandan's are by far one of the friendliest of nations and are known for their wonderful hospitality and generous natures. Jinja is the source of the mighty Nile River and there are a vast number of activities that can be enjoyed; both on and off the water.
We are looking for willing helpers to assist us in the following areas:-
1. Carpentry needed for a few jobs like shelf building, smalls repairs to housing and dorms, etc
2. Assisting with the training and development of housekeeping staff in line with European standards and expectations of hospitality.
3. General maintenance around the compound including a few plumbing jobs
4. Teaching students at the community school in Buwende on hygiene (we have install two "Tippy Taps" and would like to ensure these are used correctly and possibly install more in the area - especially as most homes do not have running water).
5. We would like to improve adult literacy within our local community - so any assistance in this regard would be a great help.
6. Working in the vegetable garden; planting and propagating seeds and seedlings
7. Assisting with the gray water re-cycle and water management system
8. Assistance with online media, social media and advertising methods and methodology
9. Training staff on international hygiene standards.
Swahili (Kiswahili): Fluent
We would offer free full board and lodging in a dormitory room, (if single person) We have two dormitory rooms that sleep either 5 people and each dorm has its own toilet and shower. There is free Wifi in the restaurant and we have a lovely swimming pool for guests to enjoy too. If you are a couple, we have a twin en-suite available.
Breakfast consists of an omelette wrapped in a chapatti known as a Rolex, (rolled eggs), a fruit platter and tea and coffee. We also provide all lunches and dinners which will be arranged on the arrival of the workawayer . We can provide for your dietary needs in case of allergies as well.
Jinja is the adventure capital of Uganda and helpers will be able to spend time exploring Lake Victoria, the Nile River and the beautiful tropical forests around Jinja. Cycling is very popular and travellers can hire mountain bikes, (or bring their own) as there are a number of trails and routes that follow the river. Jinja has a wonderful eclectic variety of musicians performing most nights of the week and there is a regular open mic night once a month, as well as jazz evenings and drumming performances.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
More than two
Maximum 5 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: