Our place is a gluten-free bakery in Lusaka, Zambia. We consider it a social enterprise in that we plan to maximize our profits in order to maximize our impact in the community.
It provides training in baking skills and ethical small business management skills to Zambian women through paid internships.
Regardless of education, the women can learn a new skill and provide for their families. When they have finished their training they will be equipped to either start their own successful enterprises or become well-trained and indispensable employees in an already established business.
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help with Computers/ Internet
Brighton is a Zambian national and teaches one of the local languages to expats. Gabi has lived in Zambia for 11 years.
Volunteers will be exposed to Zambian culture and language on a daily basis.
Our project is still relatively new and operates on a shoe-string budget. So we are looking for help in getting things set up: physically, and on social media.
PHYSICALLY we will need help in the following areas:
* Setting up the retails space for the bakery
* Setting up the seating area for the indoor portion of the coffee shop
* Adding to our garden space to make it more inviting for guests of our coffee shop/bakery
* Some maintenance on our rental structure (electrical, plumbing, general handyman stuff)
SOCIAL MEDIA we will need help in the following areas:
* Creating a website
* Updating our Facebook shop with appropriate content
* Updating our Instagram account with appropriate content
* Creating web stories and other content for potential supporters
Chichewa, Chewa, Nyanja: Fluent
We have a queen-size bed with mosquito net in our guestroom. It is great for a single or a couple.
There's plenty to keep you busy in Lusaka. And the Victoria Falls in Livingstone are only a short drive away. Additionally, there are numerous national parks with stunning natural beauty and animals. Many are within a reasonable travel distance from Lusaka.
Brighton does smoke, but never in the house.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week