I live by myself in the green and quiet suburbia of Lyon, in an area called le mont d'or (the golden hill). My flat belongs to a XVth century estate that has been a convent until french revolution : sisters living there, from the saint Francis order, have been in charge of a remote house in the hills, where people with leprosy were removed from society, and the sisters fed them.
I am single but have many friends and quite an active social life (music by instance). I am a gregorian singer (I sing daily inside the village's roman church, so you can discover this music), and I'm involved in a group of traditionnal male corsican poliphony.
I got a trainee last year to become a baker, using the antic processes of roman woodoven. My project would be to create such a bakery, but I don't know yet where it will be.
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
I expect you to be autonomous, (in fact because the tasks to do might be not enormous sometimes), but there are many things to discover in the area.
We will always find a solution to any talked-about problems.
Short stays (less than a week) are possible because the tasks are usually basic. Because workaway is a community and Lyon a crossroad, I can even host passing-by travellers for one or two nights.
1) I have got an agreement with the mayor to take care of a garden which would be unless not used. Only half of this garden is usable at this moment, I want to increase its surface.
2° I have a big amount of wood that has to be cut into 40cm long pieces and stored in appropriate conditions. The space where it is piled up is messy and we have to clean and organize it.
3) I want to create an alley in the garden with local stones "(têtes de chat", cat's heads, or Hauteville stone, the very stone that has been used to build the foundations of Empire State Building in NYC)
4) I have to settle the summer room in new conditions and to reorganize the stuff stored in the cellar DONE!
5) I want to paint my flat new.
6) In summer, I like to prepare marmelades.
7) I need to practice guitar, so you could teach me if you know how to play it.
8) During summertime my choir doesn't work, so if we can practice singing together it is marvellous.
You can camp in the garden if you want (I provide the tent), sleep in the so-called summer room.
The comfort is basic but the place is very quiet, you will sleep well and get a big rest from your stay.
In winter, we cook and heat the main room with a wood stove, and the temperature will appear to be not very hot for people used to modern standards.
You will be very close to Lyon, with a direct connection to it with public transport.
Inside the city of Lyon, you can also use Velo'v, the public bicycle system, for a very small price.
If you have a car, it is possible to park it free and safe on the parking next to my garden.
Lyon is a very interesting place, with many sightseeing spots, a very rich cultural life, many museums, monuments, churches. It is a metropolitan city at human's scale with an excellent quality of life.
In summer, it is possible to swimm in the Saône river next to the village. You can walk around the mont d'or hills along kilometers of pathes, I've got maps available.
In a circle of 100km around Lyon, there are several different region and landscapes, from the Alps to the more tender mountains of Ardèche. In summer, I go to Lalouvesc quite often, a very nice village 1100m above see level, allowing to escape temperatures above 35°C as their occur, and you can join.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
Maximum 4 hours a day, 5 days a week