Hi! We are English school in West Pasaman, Sumatera Island which has concern to enrich students’ knowledge of language in order to help them speak fluently in every situation. We have dormitory where students and teachers can live together like a family, so they can deeply apply English in daily conversation. Moreover, our school is in the middle of corn and palm tree field that makes it really comfortable for students to learn in outdoor or indoor class, but it is still near downtown. We have programs held in our school and in local formal schools from elementary to senior high school.
We are welcome and very excited to have any volunteer from around the world who likes sharing with children and wanting to learn our unique culture, Minang Kabau. Feel free to ask any needed information if you are willing to join.
Babysitting and creative play
West Pasaman is a traditional district in West Sumatera (Sumatera Barat), Indonesia. The place that is situated in beautiful and safe environment, but not do many foreigners know about our potential district. Furthermore, We have many small islands, beautiful beaches, a famous mountain, rainfalls, caves and others.
To be specific, surely the benefits provided by our region are:
- Learning new language bahasa Indonesia and Minang Language
- Unforgettable interaction with traditional and friendly local people.
- New teaching experience
- Exploring many tourism places
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
We do expect volunteers who can:
1. Speak English (Native will be better)
2. Help student to practice in class
3. Create and apply games for fun learning
4. Motivate students to always practice English
5. Associate with students at dormitory to encourage them to always speak in English
6. Have a positive attitude of flexibility, responsibility and an eagerness to share a new knowledge with one another
Dress Code: Minang is conservative culture since we apply Islam in it. When teaching time, volunteers are really expected to wear clean clothes that cover from shoulders to knees at least (no need wearing veil for women). Please bring appropriate clothes with you.
We provide free accommodation (shared & individual). You will stay at Dormitory that includes food (breakfast, lunch and dinner). You are also able to cook your own food in the dormitory kitchen (groceries will be not provided). Every Sunday will be cooking day, so you can cook traditional food with students and teachers.
WHAT CAN YOU DO AT FREE TIME?
1. Attending traditional events like cooking mass of Apam cake, Malamang (cake in bamboo) and so on
2. Learning Minang language by visiting our rural areas and doing direct interaction with society who are really friendly since we still upheld this tradiotional culture in our daily life.
3. Volunteer can explore our untouched and pure tourism places
a. Talamau Mountain
Talamau is the highest mountain in West Sumatera known as a heaven of lakes because it has 13 lakes surrounded by tree canopy that can be seen from the top. It will take you 2 days to climb up and a day to go down.
b. Laut Tinggal Lake
It is a volcanic lake that has a legend village with full of history. It also has pristine mountain rain forest habitat. You will need two days walking from the nearest settlement to reach this place. In the way, you also can find a hot spring, so you can relax there a bit before continuing your journey.
c. Vertical and horizontal caves and others.
Note: Host will assist and guide volunteer to explore West Pasaman
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week