*️*️*️*️24/05/2019 --> not currently taking volunteers*️*️*️*️
We are a boutique hotel & country house, offering accommodation & experiences to tourists and South Africans alike. Located right on the sea-front, we can offer a great base for surfers, kite-surfers, divers & other watersports enthusiasts. In return, we are looking for assistance as we try to introduce more permaculture techniques & processes into daily life. We aim to upcycle/downcycle as much as possible, and to generate closed loop systems which build value for guests and staff alike. There are so many projects still to be conceived, and we need people with vision and imagination to come up with any number of creative ideas!!!
N.B. We can only consider stays of +1 month, and, at the moment, there is only room for 1 volunteer (or a couple) during peak summer season.
Help with Eco Projects
You'll interact substantially with our permanent staff, who are South Africans of all colours and creeds, as well as the guests (who come from every corner of the globe). If you prove yourself to be motivated & reliable (autonomous workawayers preferred), we can support you for all manner of projects and ideas. We'll arrange monthly visits to local sites of interest (indigenous nurseries, farms etc), and keep you plied with great ideas.
Below is a list of projects that are in progress or being given consideration:
- Re-establishing our plant nursery
- Propagating flowers, herbs, fruit & vegetables
- Caring for our worm farms
- Establishing small-scale hydroponics for water-wise vegetable harvesting
- Building wooden plant containers & raised beds from our used-timber supply
- Collecting kitchen/garden waste for composting
- Collecting sea-weed (permit needed) for composting
- Spreading mulch to build up the soil quality & reduce evaporation
- Landscaping projects to maximise the use of the land
- Giving garden tours to guests and raising awareness about permaculture methods
From April to October (out of season) we can offer a luxury forest pod, which is a converted shipping container complete with kitchenette & en-suite shower. For the other months, it will likely be a "duty room" adjoined to guest accommodation - a very basic room, with proximate access to a bathroom & kitchen facilities. We can either provide you with food from the restaurant, or supply you with a daily food allowance for self-catering meals (there is a supermarket within easy walking distance).
Getting around is easy with buses, uber, taxis, etc
The whole of Cape Town (and it's coastline) will be at your disposal - cage diving, surfing, the watefront, table mountain, newlands, kirstenbosch....the list goes on and on...
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week