My name is Rye and I'm a traveller and linguist at heart!
I have been to 30 countries and lived in 5 of them: Philippines, USA, Colombia, Brazil and Cambodia. I also speak the five languages of the 5 countries I've lived in: English, Filipino, Espanol, Portugues and Khmer.
When I was 24 I did a work exchange program with AIESEC and taught English in Medellin, Colombia for one year. I enjoyed this so much that three years later I did another one in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
From 2012-2015 I lived in Cambodia and ran a small business.
Recently I've been fortunate enough to own one of the top hostels in the world's most beautiful island -- Palawan, Philippines. In 2018 we converted the hostel into a private rental.
Right now, aside from my rental, I have two other small businesses in Cambodia and I help out with the family business in Manila. As you can imagine-- it can get quite busy for me at times!
And I need help from the smallest to the biggest areas: anywhere from encoding information, to help improving my existing website.
Even if you don't volunteer with me, I want to thank you already just for looking at my profile by giving you top ten tips for Palawan :)
Here are my top ten Palawan travel tips:
1. Palawan Heritage Museum -- my top recommendation! Do not go to Palawan without going here it's a local secret that most travellers don't know!
2. Get a free sim card at the Manila airport -- again most travellers dont know this.
3. Top Filipino delicacy I recommend: Pork Sisig. Google it :)
4. Top Palawan delicacy I recommend: Crocodile Sisig. Google it :)
5. Top beer I recommend: Red Horse. Trust me this is what the volunteers first miss after they leave the Philippines :)
6. WW2 Heritage Musuem -- deep, profound, incredibly cheap!
7. Local language: Call males "kuya" and females "ate" (pronounced Ah-teh). They will love you for it :)
8. Local language: Thank you is "sa-LA-mat"
9. For beer enthusiasts: Palawenyo Brewery. You will be shocked how good Filipino beer can be.
10. Smile, smile and smile! You're on vacation. It's not supposed to be a job. Filipinos are the happiest people on the planet so enjoy each moment while in Palawan you are blessed to be here!
DIY and building projects
Help with Computers/ Internet
I've hosted over 180 volunteers (from my hostel business) and I'm a traveller at heart. More importantly I've lived in 5 countries and speak five languages. I have visited over 30 countries. I see things from the travellers point of view, and the local's as well :)
(Definitely a book that I recommend as you travel Asia would be Lee Kwan Yeu's "From third world to first world." It's a fascinating account of South East Asian history from an inspiring leader's point of view.)
The cultural exchange learned would be the following:
I give a personal tour on your first day, so that you know the history, local customs, travel tips, where to eat, local delicacies, and everyday fascinating things that make the place memorable, and more importantly, gives you the freedom daily to explore where you want to go.
Specifically I would need help in:
1. interior design and/or architectural help to improve the layout/flow of the place;
2. encoding help -- transferring email addresses of my clients (and other information) to my hubspot and mailchimp
3. carpentry, painting and handyman help -- experience would be necessary for these
4. website help
5. accounting help -- this is self-explanatory :)
6. gardening and landscape help -- for the rental as this is the main highlight of the property or any you could suggest :) We are quite open-minded. And the best part is we only need you for three hours a day :) Nothing too long!
As we are getting two applications a day, please message us and reply to these ten questions we ask all volunteers. It will help us decide faster if its a good match. Thank you.
Hello there! Please answer our background questions. These are all based from vounteers we hosted and more importantly, help us prepare for your volunteership better. Thanks:) - Rye
1. Why did you choose Palawan?
2. Where have you volunteered before? What did you do?
3. Have you travelled outside your own country or is this the first time you are travelling?
4. IMPORTANT: How can your professional talents or skills help our business? (Please be specific as possible. Hardworking and friendly do not count.)
5. IMPORTANT: What dates would you like to volunteer with us? (Please write the dates in complete WORDS, not 5/6 or 21st to 30th because this causes confusion.)
6. Where in Palawan do you want to go?
7. Where in the Philippines are you going?
8. Where in Asia are you going?
9. Where in Asia have you been?
10.What are your expectations from us as hosts?
This host offers a language exchange
This host has indicated that they are interested in sharing their own language or learning a new language.
You can contact them directly for more information.
Room with bath and shower. Wifi of course :)
Time off tasks:
Beach, beach and more beach!
We can definitely show you the best local beaches that are free and/or very inexpensive.
Also the foodie tour I'll give you will allow you to enjoy Filipino food like no other :)
There are also some volunteer organizations I know that could help you spend a more significant time in Palawan.
With several volunteers I help them plan their SE Asia trip since I lived in Cambodia for three years and visited Saigon 15 times.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
This host has indicated that they love having digital nomads stay.
Maximum 3 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: