We run an self-directed education learning center that focuses on creating an environment of learning for children ages 3 to 11. The center is open from 9:30am - 3pm. Our children are involved in activities all through the day like playing, clay work, cooking, painting , handwork etc.
- Our Kindergarten environment is inspired by the Waldorf - Steiner system of education.
- For children ages 6+ we follow a open and self-directed learning environment that incorporates aspects of Democractic system/Sudbury valley/ Agile Learning Center & Steiner approach.
We want volunteers to take up specific projects of your interest when you volunteer here. This is how everyone in our community learn, by getting exposed and getting a chance to participate in volunteer projects. Some of the past projects were:
- building a tree house
- setting up a sensory walkway
- theatre Improvisation & games for adults
- making bag holders
- introduce new games to children
You will be hosted at our home, we are a family of 5, we have three children - two daughters 7 and 2yo, and a son, 5yo. We welcome families with children, married couples or singles!
DIY and building projects
Babysitting and creative play
Help with Eco Projects
Help around the house
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
You will learn about the local culture when you stay with us. You will be part of the routine at the Kindergarten/Learning community. We also do local farm visits/local outings every month, if trip happens during your visit, you can join us for visit.
While staying with our family, you'll also get a chance to join us on our local outings, temples, eat local food etc.
To help out with the learning community, we've found it to be important for you to have some alternative education background (homeschooling, unschooling, Sudbury, Waldorf etc). That was you'll be able to better integrate and support what we're doing.
- We would love to host a Waldorf/Steiner teachers, or Sudbury/Democratic schooling facilitators for the obvious reasons :)
- We would love to host experienced permaculturist to set up our garden area in an optimum way.
- We need immediate help (January 2020) in setting up chicken coop area and general backyard chicken maintenance practice.
- We love to host people with skills such as pottery, carpentry, handwork (knitting, crochet, sewing etc), arts, painting, musical instruments and so on. We always have small projects to be done around the school (small stools, small gates etc).
- We love to host people who've started or is running an alternative schools, to share experiences and so forth.
- We're open to hosting chiropractors as there are none in Kochi :)
You will be staying with our family in our guest room. The room has private shower, and a bunk bed (queen and single size)
There a lot to see in and around our area including beaches, churches, local shopping streets and much more.
Close by is the biggest shopping mall in India (Lulu Mall) which might be interesting to see. Fort Kochi is also a nice place to go to for the day which is accessible by local transport. Volunteers might also want to go to Alleppy for the quintessential Kerala houseboat ride experience, which is only 1.5 hours away by bus.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
5 hours a day, Monday - Friday