Favourited 645 times
(!) Dear volunteers, unfortunately we won't be able to host volunteers during the next months. We hope to start again as soon as possible and will let you know on Workaway's platform. Wish you all beautiful volunteering experience and hopefully meet with you later!
Are you looking for alternative ways of living? Being useful to the planet and others living beings? We are looking for friends!
Our objective : to build a sustainable way of life in our Village. We work to build a life where we can reduce and produce what we need, and share with others the surplus. We are giving value to initiative and action, not to words. We find the meaning in our lives by being useful to other living beings. We are creating links with other ancapitalist communities, and wish to always meet more people looking for alternative ways of life. Our values are bringing us together from all over the world.
Conscience, mercy and sincerity are our keywords.
Our village near Izmir aims to become a self-sustainable community. We are working in the humanitarian field since 2012, giving all our energy into supporting refugee families in Izmir Province. However, we still have a long way to go in establishing a sustainable community: learning a lot, and finding the good persons to work and live with. Please understand that if we are working a lot to reduce our environmental impact, we still have a long way to go and challenges that international volunteers may have difficulty to apprehend. Education about environmental issues is very recent in Turkey.
We currently have three main activities with volunteers:
1. (2 days a week) Distribution of basic items like blankets, clothes, hygiene kits, education materials to unofficial settlements in the İzmir area.
2. (2 days a week) Planet-friendly activities in order to develop the community and support locals: beach cleaning, building, cultivating, picking-up wild herbs, etc.
3. Daily life and tasks: the help of volunteers is very precious for us because each thing you do let us more time to focus on long-term work (program development, accountancy, administration, etc.). This is why we wish you participate in daily tasks such as cleaning after yourself, cooking when needed, clean the van after distributions, etc.
We are open to initiative, especially from long-term volunteers, so please do not hesitate to share with us your ideas. Additionally, there is plenty of other works to do, especially in communication and many others. Anyone with specific skills is most welcome!
ACTIVITIES MODIFIED DUE TO THE PANDEMIC:
Solar Age workshops : refugee women come to our community center in Basmane, Izmir to take part in a variety of workshops; solar engineering, hand crafting products, women’s health, and more in order to become financially independent and facilitate their integration into Turkish society. This program also focuses on the education and development of refugee children that come with the women.
Mobile education program to teach basic Turkish (songs, colours, numbers) to the children of the settlements, as well as health and hygiene information. We have to suspend this activity due to the very high rate of covid-19 cases in Turkey and inconvenient weather conditions. This program will start again after the weather becomes more welcoming.
Help with Eco Projects
DIY and building projects
Babysitting and creative play
Help around the house
Help with Computers/ Internet
- You will be in contact with travellers from all over the world
- You will likely learn a good amount of Turkish and/or Arabic language
- You will gain a first-hand understanding of the refugee situation in Turkey
- You can learn how to build and cultivate
- You can learn how to cook many international dishes
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
We plan the tasks once a week. Please be ready to be very flexible, as planned activities can often change at short notice depending on what comes up.
The weekly planning is divided as follow:
- 2 days of distribution in the settlements: early morning (7:30) we leave the Village for the Cafe. There we pack the van with the distribution items. Then we drive 1:30, distribute the items and come back. Due to the pandemic we had to temporarily suspend the mobile education program so we unfortunately cannot do activities with the children in the settlements.
- 1 day to prepare the logistics of distributions: making food packs, counting it, cleaning and preparing the van, cleaning and preparing the warehouse, etc.
- 2 days for diverse activities linked with nature: beach cleaning, picking up olives and wild thyme, etc.
The volunteers' tasks are as follows:
-Complete daily tasks, including breakfast prep, clearing up, bathrooms clean, laundry etc
-Clean-up of all spaces - we don’t have a cleaner on staff so volunteers are responsible for communal areas, used dishes or tools and the van after distribution days.
-Participate in camp distribution
-Support the coordination team
-Work on the land; growing, cultivating, harvesting food for our kitchen
-Picking up olives, wild thyme, etc.
-Help with building projects when necessary
-Prepare the vehicle and warehouse before and after distribution
-Maintain current inventory and cleanliness of the warehouse
-Carry out maintenance and beautifying projects around the village
-Conduct activities specific to your skills as approved by field coordinator
/!\ Do not hesitate to tell us if you have a specific project in mind, we are open to initiatives!
Our village is located within a small village called "Degirmendere", 30 Km from Izmir city.
It's surrounded by mountains and vast forests. You can go hiking at the end of your day, camping during the weekends/days off. You can also visit Izmir city center, which is 1Hr 30 min away from our village, by bus/Train. Izmir is the 2nd biggest city in Turkey.
We provide basic twin and triple share accommodation in our volunteer buildings on site at the village, separated into men’s and women’s rooms. Rooms come with sheets, blankets, pillows and towels along with heaters in winter. Good wifi is available. We have communal ablutions in container blocks with solar-heated showers and one washing machine on site. We have a shared kitchen and while most of our lunches and dinners are prepared by our incredible Turkish cook, volunteers will share in prepping breakfast and some other meals on a rotational basis.
We eat mostly vegetarian meals which are served three times a day. Besides that, there is filtered water, coffee and tea all day. Showers are solar heated and these, along with toilets, are shared. Washing machines are available.
The nearest airport is Izmir:
After you arrive at İzmir airport you can take the IZBAN Train to Cumaovasi train station (1 station away from the airport). Afterwards, you can take the bus N°729 from Cumaovasi train station to Degirmendere (The bus station is in front of the mosque. The total cost of the whole trip is 14 TL (as of 15th March 2022).
There we'll pick you up!
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
We have a very good internet connection
More than two
9:30-12:30am / 3-5 pm
In developing countries (Where most hosts are involved in charity work or community development) some of our hosts may ask for a small donation to help the host family or charity (often less then 5 dollars per day) Workaway will allow this listing when the donation goes directly to the family or charity and is just to cover the cost of the volunteer‘s stay. (This will be clearly marked on the host listing).
We will strictly not allow listings posted by agents, “middle men” or projects who we feel are looking to profit from a volunteers stay.
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: