Off grid, self sufficient, home and fun family. Located one hour south of Ottawa Ontario in the town of Frankville.
We are Amy and Dima, a Canadian Ukrainian couple, with our 1 year old boy, Damian. We met and traveled around the world together, working, volunteering, backpacking etc, previously we ran a remote lodge in the arctic of Canada, we have been volunteers, volunteer coordinators and hosts. Coming full circle around we are ready to host again.
Our farm is 50 acres, 30 of land and pasture, 20 of a beautiful maple bush on the back of the property. We live in the country, in the peace and quiet.
We currently do not have any animals, but will update our profile as this changes.
Our home is an open concept off grid building, run on solar power, wind to pump our water, and a sweet pioneer made wood stove that heats the house, heats the water, and that we cook on.
We both work from home, and we have a small business run out of our shop. The work is seasonal, usually April through to October. We may need some help with assembly and processing with our business during these months. For the rest of the year we focus on other projects, gathering wood, being in the bush and having fun.
We believe that almost everything is better home made, we like to be physically active, work for ourselves, do it ourselves, and enjoy the simple pleasures in life. We like to go on adventures, hiking, swimming, work out, play board games, watch movies, read books, cook, bbq, try new thing, and have fun. We are busy, happy, and enjoy the satisfaction of the simple things in life.
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
The average is 5 hours per day, five days a week. We prefer if you could be flexible with this, if we have a longer working day, and more days off per week, it all depends on the season and the projects that we have going on.
There are many things to gain from an experience in volunteering with us:
- an opportunity to live off grid, work for yourself, and the satisfaction of an honest survival and living
- learning tons of skills; baking, wood, sustainability, machinery, gardening etc
- learning to use various equipment; chainsaw, mower, tractor, generator
- a chance to detox from social pressure, technology, and modern day life
- the flexibility of doing things with us, or having your own down time
- come along on our hikes, activities and adventures with us
- experiencing Canadian living, culture
- having a family experience, contact and support for being in a foreign country
- practicing languages, English, Russian, Ukrainian, French, or teach us languages that you know
- yoga, meditation, health practices
and a whole lot more.
There are always sustaining practices and chores going on. We need help with:
Cutting wood and being in the bush:
- trail making
- chopping wood
- cutting kindling
- hauling trees
- clearing and building fences
Home and Child Care:
- assisting to look after our baby
- child minding
- house work
- processing a full functioning garden
- harvesting wild plants
Building, Construction and Maintenance:
- maintaining our property
- adding new structures
- building a volunteer house
- putting up a car and tractor shelter
- snow clearing
- mechanical maintenance
- making preserves, canning, jarring
- home making as much as we can, bread, beer, jams, all made from scratch foods
- farming and animal care (We may or may not have animals when you come)
- solar panel care
- tree planting
- orchard care
- propagating plants
- seed saving
- harvesting sap and making maple syrup
English, Ukrainian, Russian
Spare room available in the loft of our home. It is open concept, so sound travels, but you would have full privacy. We plan on building a cabin on our property for future hosting.
We are usually available to pick you up from your source of transportation. We are one hour from the Ottawa Airport, or Brockville is the closest town that you can take a bus or train to.
Please do not just show up, contact us first and make arrangements.
We are a simple quiet family. Volunteers who want to come and experience our lifestyle and setting in nature should want and be prepared to:
- get away from the business of people and the cities
- enjoy fresh air, being in nature
- be interested in the projects, activities, and things that we have going on
- like babies and children
- take down time, enjoy
- be able to entertain themselves and take initiative to enjoy time on their own and the things that we have to offer
- get away from electronics (no phone in the pocket all day and checking it every two minutes)
- be drug, drama, and stress free, we dont want these things in our home
- want the satisfaction of physical labor and accomplishment
- enjoy living regular daylight hours, not sleeping until noon, or staying up until midnight
We prefer if volunteers have experience and or skills in the things that we need help with but are open to teaching, training, and introducing you to these skills.
Having first aid training is always an asset!
Things we find handy for you to bring:
- clothes for working that you can get dirty and or ruined
- pocket knife
- a sense of adventure
Please send us an email with your resume, a letter of interest for why you want to come to our place, a photo of yourself, and the dates that you were thinking of coming.
It can take us a day to a week to respond.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week