Favourited 164 times
* Jan17th - seek one helper for 1 week or so: Picking our organic Almonds, making compost, preparing for a quiet February Jan 2020 - Very low bushfire risks in our area called Bass Coast inside the very safe 'South Gippsland' area - a green oasis, clean waters, low fire risks *
Hello I am Dominic. I manage an exceptional urban space in an idyllic coast town where residents are: (1) Myself, 35 years experience in horticulture, environmental design for sustainable living, traditional and adapted Yoga, and more recently, Carbon capture and climate change adaption; (2) a co-adopted teenage boy ; (3) a Melbourne family of four - co-owners staying once a month, having a break from city life and doing electrical improvements.
The focus of this place is : Sustainable Living & Yoga - "healthy landscapes support healthy people, who make healthy communities . . " .
Hello travellers of Australia-NZ, Yogis, budding Permies . . .
We seek a couple who would act as Caretakers for whole month of February - arriving in 4th week in January to 'learn the ropes'.
We host both volunteers and holiday makers at our highly rated coastal micro-retreat on the edge of our town, near beaches, beach lakes, a huge estuary, bluffs, National Parks, and more.
Volunteers help myself to maintain the site / the house. A daily rhythm has: morning stroll-cycle to beach, some yoga practices (encouraged) 'brekky', harvesting, cleaning. Projects are numerous: Typically : making improvements to a needy room / a building exterior / found furniture / the food forest / recre-educational space. Remake a veggie space; Reshape a tree; Specialist help: review/upgrade our evolving online presence (image & movie wrangling).
The ability and confidence to drive a vehicle in Australia is very desirable - approx. one trip per week or so with host. Cooking skills highly valued - we build meals around what's seasonally available / stored from earlier harvests.
It is a typical sized urban allotment and buildings. Two groups of owners - myself (resident-manager )+ a Melbourne based family .
Various types of people come to our place. One type is city people getting away from city life (usually Melbourne based) - these customers hire our East Wing to stay in for a holiday. Another type is volunteers (like you ) usually from exchange places like WorkAway, usually wishing to gain some insights and skills on living within Earth' limits, in a lush, healthy place close to beaches and lakes, our town CBD and all types of Parks.
Our place deals with sustainable living (low ecological footprint, high community engagement) in a hands-on way for owners and volunteers like you, or in an immersive learning way (customer holiday-makers). We are lucky to be in the premier coast holiday town in the South Gippsland Coast, two hours South East from central Melbourne. We are on at the junction of an estuary (huge lake) and the ocean with various beaches and water activities.
You can gain practical insights into ecological design, adaptive carpentry, permaculture design, yoga practices and more. There may be some customer accommodation tasks (room keeping).
The main thing is that as a volunteers you can avoid seeking paid work for same time period that you wish to be a volunteer at our place . This avoids disappointments on both sides :-)
A new project is emerging - looking for dedicated participant(s):
Urban Carbon Capture and Storage (Home based Sequestration)
> Low cost measurement of Carbon retention at urban house blocks.
> Urban plants and in situ Carbon capture - using low-oxygen charring (pyrolysis); creation and protection of high value timber products; and other researched possibilities.
Seeking couples but singles are fine in cooler months.
Fun stuff: learn to bodysurf / surf with surfboards and wetsuits; Try beach golf, bocce, beach forest meditation. National Parks. State Reserves. Snorkel (byo gear) walks and wildlife sunset chasing. Outdoor fireplace cookups.
Working on: finishing new shelter; finish small side room; making creative gates; tiling (wall / floor ceramic tiles); improvements in gardens.
General stuff we do: harvesting/preparing for planting/planting, managing grass / trees in lush food forest, painting / oiling (protect timbers). We teach skills for sustaining yourself and a whole household, and beyond.
Resource: NEW: Hub wireless internet access at house (limited GB).
Mon to Sat access to at our nearby Library (10 mins on bike) .
Usually, you will have a small double bed, large desk, in a room of your own, plus opportunity for yoga sessions with Dom or other instructors, including Kirtan (singing yoga), simple surfing / beach swims / tennis (good weather!) , local walk / cycle to views, aboriginal history walk.
Food we eat is mostly vegetarian (90%) with lots of home-grown and organic foods.
Hope you can join Dom (me) on trips to singing yoga (Kirtan) plus a local yoga class .
Thanks for reading - please see the facebook page and ask us for other pages to get more insights, many reviews and many pictures.
> House WiFi: limited GB / month - OK speeds. > Town Library WiFi nearby.
> Dom's great home Library.
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Help with Computers / internet
You can gain experience and insights into ecological design, carpentry, permaculture design and management, organic horticulture, many yoga practices, English language, Australian vernacular, and more.
You are very welcome to join Dom (me) on trips to 'singing yoga' (Kirtan)
Other fun stuff: Swim in many different spots around here with or without waves. Safely observe large winged Rays (massive fish) at Jetty. Learn to surf ( access to surf gear). Beach golf/beach forest meditation. Tennis (good weather only) . More.
If weather is no good: use Dom's mini-home library on sustainable/conscious/adaptive living ; Try cooking with some local ingredients; Mend things with our sewing gear and other tools; Use our spacious wifi town library space and services, next to our free art gallery and tourist service.
Ideally you would have some skills in building, or using electric tools, or using gardening tools .
- Couples, but single person is sometimes OK.
- You have already arrived in Australia or New Zealand (Aetearoa) unless you have been in Australia before, and settled in at least for a few days.
- Understand the purpose of volunteer programs and volunteering
- Have experience driving a vehicle (we have mini-van) .
- Are not vegan or have multiple food intolerances
- Have some learning goals - you know what you like to learn
- Have a full profile of your own including photos; provide a reference of some kind (even reviews)
- Can commit to staying two weeks, or more. This is for your benefit as well as ours - it takes time to learn routines / skills / tools and 'discover Nature' in our area, and unwind from your previous city living.
English, some Italian,
A private bedroom with a double bed and a large desk with view to our urban Southern forest. Cheery carpet floor. Good natural light plus two other lights. Clothes hanging space (shoe-free indoors)
If you wish to use your tent / camp-van , there are tent spaces / parking spaces.
Our place deals with sustainable living (low ecological footprint, high community engagement ) in a hands on way for owners and volunteers like you, or in an immersive education way (holidaymakers). We are lucky to be in the premier coast holiday town in the South Gippsland Coast, two hours South East from central Melbourne. We are on at the junction of an estuary (huge lake) and the ocean - lots of possible beach and water activities.
Working on now: finishing making new spaces; making creative gates/handles from wood; ceramic tiling.
You will have a double bed, large desk, in a room of your own , plus opportunity for yoga sessions with Dom or another instructor , including Kirtan (singing yoga),
Close access to surfing/beach swims, cycling, aboriginal history, weekend markets, . Further out - two nearby National Parks.
- Food we eat is mostly vegetarian (95%) with lots of home-grown and organic foods. Week Food Preparation: One person will lead breakfast prep., one for lunch, one for dinner. This food prep (and cleaning) is part of the 4/1/2 / 5 hours of daily time as volunteers .
- We choose our own/local produce to eat firstly (what needs to be eaten from garden or fridge). Local foods at local supermarket/specialty shops are used.
- Get creative, learn new ingredients in our gardens !
• Two week stays. Two days free with five hours for five days doing tasks
with host (or independently when host is busy)
- The five hours includes meal making / cleaning
- Free days usually Thursday-Friday
You are welcome to come on the (weekly ish) trip (usually to music yoga with Indian food / friends party or a festival) - i can usually arrange overnite accommodation for these trips.
• We try to keep internet usage to essentials at the house - so much beauty, beach so close . .
• Simple/short use (check email, book tickets) you can use the 4G WiFi our small house WiFi hub,
• Town Library - good WiFi at nearby spacious comfy , 5 and 1/2 days per week) > free surfboard hire, special Australian books, free live movie streaming, DVDs, colour printer, decent desktop computers, and desk areas .
Or - use WiFi at nearby cafes (less reliable than Library) Great local made coffee / cake places in town.
Longer stays are welcomed after a three day trial.
*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️Advice for travellers who have never been to Australia / NZ : Working English can be a challenge to learn - so, before working/volunteering it is best you become a 'tourist' in Australia for at least two weeks to improve your communication skills , and sort your 'paper work' out - Bank Account / Tax / etc) *️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️
- Note : 10 days bare minimum stay. Prefer two to three weeks .
- Your spacious timber filled cosy bedroom has: comfy double bed , big desk, many spare warm clothes and wetsuits, view to lush quiet garden (super clean air), reading light plus big light, chairs, clothes hanging space.
We can accommodate couples (or two mature friends) who can sleep in same room, esp. if one person can drive and is over 25 yrs old (for car insurance ) . Couples will often to do separate tasks.
Available resources for helpers:
- Spare clothes and shoes (for work or play)
- Wetsuits - Surfboard (s) - Boogie board.
- Some internet access at house in eve from phone hotspot or - Town library and cafes have more access still we get wifi dongle (jan 2020) . . Phone SIM cards are cheap .
- Home library - focused on sustainable home and community living / environmental and personal health / development .
- Sewing gears (lots)
- Gear for beach golf & beach bowls
- Lessons in surfing / various yoga practices / English / Australian dialect.
- Did we mention : all the fresh foods from our gardens
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
5 hours a day, 5 days a week, includes meal preparation.
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: