*Please note that due to COVID-19, we have drastically changed our operations. We are operating at a reduced capacity, and looking for only 2 experienced hospitality/tourism/remote workers from mid-December (2021) through mid-April (2022).*
Welcome to your home away from home in the serene, Canadian north. We are located 100km east of Yellowknife, NT in the rugged wilderness of Northern Canada. This is a multi award winning eco wilderness resort that caters to tourists, educational groups, conferences and guests alike.
Many miles from roads, or national suppliers of electricity and water, our lodge nonetheless provides many of the benefits of a luxury hotel, with the priceless addition of a pristine wilderness environment, unpolluted by artificial light or noise, the perfect setting for getting back to nature, discovering your true self, and tons of activities, all under the winter dark skies or the summer’s midnight sun.
Should you wish to apply for one of the 2 open positions we have available for support staff this coming winter season, please send us a detailed cover letter and up to date CV. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Help with Eco Projects
DIY and building projects
Babysitting and creative play
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
The Workaway program provides a great opportunity for people to spend time closer to nature, experience northern Canadian living, refining and gaining skills, discovering and growing as a person, having a once in a life time travel and experience, as well as contributing to the life, survival and growth of the lodge.
The goal of our program is to open our small community to the world for people who have a keen desire to learn. A cultural exchange environment allows our place to operate with an international community, built of individuals with a variety of skills, languages, and passions, and to provide a life time experience as one of the only hosts in the north of Canada.
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
This host offers accommodation and payment.
Host has indicated that they will pay at least the minimum hourly wage of their country for each hour worked and that accommodation will also be provided. They are asking for help with a business or business activity. Contact the host directly via the site messenger for more information and details about the wage provided. Any arrangements should be agreed in advance with your host.
We offer an agreement of 5 hours per day, 5 days per week, plus dishes. In return, staff are provided with full food and lodging, plus access to most of the amenities, equipment, and experiences that can be had onsite.
Please email us for a full breakdown of the working agreement.
Paid positions are available at $15 CAD per hour.
To be eligible for a paid position, you must have a valid working holiday visa, work permit, be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Number of hours is variable and discussed in a signed contract prior to employment.
We ask for a full season commitment minimum stay with our operation and community, no exceptions. This is because it takes about three weeks for your to get used to our training, routines, and site, plus we have to cover all of the high costs of operating a remote location. You cover the cost of getting to Yellowknife, and from there we cover all of your flights on the bush planes, food, accommodation, and experiences.
We currently only have 2 positions available from mid-December (2021)-mid-April (2022).
Depending on the season, any special projects and your interests there are a wide variety of tasks available.
Year Round Work Includes:
• Baking, Cooking, Kitchen Prep, Serving, Cleaning Up Meals
• Dishes, Kitchen Cleaning, Bathroom Cleaning, Garbage and Recycling
• Bar Tending, Night Shifts, Aurora and Photography Watch, Child Care, Media Work (video, photo, blog writing)
• Carpentry, Construction, Plumbing, Electrical and Mechanical Work
• House Keeping, Laundry, Systems, Environmental Practices, Manual Labor
• Hospitality, Guest Services, Guest Activities, Guiding Tours, Translating
• Wood Chopping, Kindling Cutting, Chain Sawing Logs, Hauling Water etc.
Summer/ Fall Specific Work Includes:
• Planting, Watering, Harvesting the Gardens, Collecting Herbs and Wild Plants
• Fishing, Wildlife Track, Nature Trails and Tourism
• Painting, Trail Building, Summer Projects and Maintenance, Kids Camps
Winter Spring Specific Work Includes:
• Snowmobiling, Hauling Wood, Pumping Water, Winter Activity Leading
• Cabin Fires, Chopping More Wood, Moving and Packing Snow, Snow Trails
• Aurora Borealis Tours, Night Watch, Aurora and Guest Wake Up Services
There are two varieties of accommodation available, one being our Staff house, which is an open concept building with hang out space that sleeps 9 people. Or a shared canvas tent frame that sleeps two or three, but are usually reserved for couples. This is the wilderness your home is quiet and peaceful in nature, located in the forest, which of course comes with the responsibilities of chopping your own wood, kindling, getting water, and using outhouses! The benefits are limitless, making friends, family, community survival, and of course having your own sweet woodstove!
We have hosted people from 17 to 72 years of age, but are now welcoming applications from anyone over the age of 21.
We welcome a variety of skills and interests that can be shared and incorporated into your work contribution. As important as the skills and experiences that you have, it is extremely important to be open, flexible and try new things. It is also good to know your limitations and to be able to ask for help when needed. Although English is the language required to be spoken at, we are happy to take people whose English skills may be limited.
How to Apply:
1) Send us an message on workaway, and we will tell you how to connect to us via email.
2) In the email tell us the dates that you are interested in coming.
3) Attach an updated resume or CV to the email.
4) Attach a letter of interest for why you think that you would be a good fit for our team, to the email. We receive a lot of applications each year, tell us why you think that you are a good fit for our team! This letter can tells us about yourself, your skills, your passions, any previous experiences that may be relevant, or what makes you want to come to this remote location?
*️️Please do not send us messages on facebook, social media, our tourism website, etc.
After you send us an email we will respond with our availability and schedule. We also have a document that we can send to you from our email that has all of the information about the place, how to get here, what you would be doing, what you would need to bring etc. . .
Please note that it can take up to two weeks for us to respond! We love to be outdoors and on adventures, and are not always online. Please be patient, we promise we will email you back!
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
More than two
25 hours a week plus dishes
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: