Favourited 69 times
We are a German – Ecuadorian family and need help with our kids (1.5 and 4 years) as well as daily household and gardening tasks. We prefer people who stay long-term (at least two months, the longer the better), but shorter stays may be possible as well.
You will mainly communicate and work with Sarah (me). While Danilo, my husband, spends a lot of time at work, I organize most of the childcare, household and family activities. I have a background in Environmental Sciences and I am interested in an alternative lifestyle, especially unschooling/ worldschooling, and healthy and environmentally friendly living. My dream is to have a small urban farm using aquaponics, vertical gardening, a rooftop garden, and even growing plants on the green areas of our neighbourhood. But it is still a looong way to go... Until now, we only have a few herbs, a dog, two rabbits, a lot of carps and a worm cafe.
Because of the kids, I hardly get anything done and I spend most of the time struggling to get our family organized. That´s why I need your help!
Ideally, you should be
- Native in German, English or at least Spanish
- Experienced with toddlers
- Skilled in time management, planning and organization
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help in the house
You will definitely get more experience with kids! Although I am still at the very beginning, you could also learn a bit about urban farming/ permaculture.
I want you to enjoy your stay as much as possible! I am very glad to help you discover Ecuador, especially I can help with:
- Information about cultural events (concerts, dance festivals, parades, theatre, cinema ...)
- Information about what to do in your free time (yoga, squash, swimming, climbing, dancing, horseback riding, painting lessons...)
- Information + help organizing trips and hikes (especially Chimborazo, Altar)
- Hiking equipment (tent, sleeping bags, poles, headlights, rubber boots)
I love being outdoors and I know a lot of nice places and paths not even most natives know. Just ask me! Or join us if we go hiking ;)
- Entertaining the kids (playing, reading, singing, painting, handicrafts, German/ English language practice ...)
- Sometimes just looking after the kids
- Cooking (whatever you like to cook, preferably vegan or vegetarian)
- A bit of gardening (watering plants, weeding)
- A bit of cleaning
From time to time I also need help with simple construction tasks, especially carpentry and painting, or just drilling. Let me know if you have any special skills or knowledge that could be useful!
Spanish, English, German
We live in a new house in a very calm neighbourhood in the outskirts of Riobamba. You will get a fully equipped private room and bathroom (without shower) on the top floor. On clear days, you will have a great view of all the surrounding volcanoes.
Furthermore, you will get:
- Shared bathroom with shower
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Access to wifi and a computer
- Access to the kitchen and washing machine
- Rides to town whenever possible
- Flexible working hours and days (prior agreement)
For families: I can add an air mattress and a small mattress big enough for a toddler.
We live outside the city, there is no public transport and no shops. You will need to walk about 15 - 20 minutes to smaller shops and to the closest bus stop. A taxi to the city centre will be about $ 1.50 - 2.50. But we also have a car and Danilo commutes several times a day between our home and town and can drop you off somewhere closer to the city.
On your free days, I recommend you to
- Visit the Chimborazo Reserve (highest volcano of Ecuador and closest point to Sun)
- Hike to the beautiful lagoons around El Altar
- Climb Tungurahua, Carihairazo or Chimborazo (only with guide and experience)
- Visit the waterfalls of Baños, Patate and Pallatanga
- Visit Ambato
It is a 3 hours bus ride to the Amazon (Puyo, Macas), 4 hours to Quito, 5 hours to Guayaquil and 6 hours to Cuenca.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
25 hours/ week (working hours will be flexible)
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: