We are a small meditation and retreat center that is focused on providing an environment to meditate, go inwards, calm down, and reconnect with oneself and the Sacred in the inner and outer. It is a place of stillness and peace, and perfectly suited for experienced meditators and other experienced spiritual practitioners who might also like to enjoy the natural surrounding.
You are welcome as a volunteer if you ...
- enjoy deep (inner) silence,
- like to meditate with us, twice daily,
- like to pay attention to detail and precision in your work and most everything you do,
- would like to reduce your digital media intake to what is necessary, during your stay with us,
- are "experienced" on the spiritual path: You have your own spiritual practice and have been on retreat before,
- would like to use your time here for your personal timeout and spiritual retreat - apart from the hours that you help in the house or garden. What this means for you personally can be very individual: meditation, prayer, contemplation, deep bodywork, relaxation techniques, long walks in nature, dream work, certain kinds of reading, etc.
(Some people depend on music, singing, dancing or intense bodywork as their way of reconnecting. Our place is not suited to accommodate to these needs, as we love inner stillness so much.)
If any of the above is not the case we cannot host you as a volunteer.
For guests of the house these "rules for our volunteers" do not apply, in the same way. So, if you are interested in staying with us but cannot meet the above rules, staying with us as a guest can still be an option.
We are mainly looking for long-term volunteers. The minimum duration of stay is two weeks. If a longer period is planned we consider a two-week trial period best for both sides.
We only plan ahead for the respective next two months. Please, do not contact us earlier than two months prior to your proposed arrival date.
In the house, we aim to combine a detached clarity (and a certain strictness that is necessary for this clarity) with a more female warmth and caring when hosting our guests.
We are two permanent residents and offer four private guestrooms.
We are intense meditators and like to meditate for 3-4 hours, daily (morning and evening meditations).
You need to have your own practices and topics that you want to work or focus on, as otherwise you will be bored quickly. Beginners on the spiritual path were oftentimes not happy here, as we just "live" a deep spiritual focus that has some elements of monastic life. We do not offer specific schooling or teaching, but the house provides support for your own efforts in a multitude of ways.
We love to share and talk with you about our respective spiritual experiences, practices and efforts that each of us has had, personally. People visiting the house have reported the following learnings from the stay with us:
- establishing or intensifying a daily meditation routine,
- experiencing inner peace and stillness,
- broad learning about a multitude of questions (concerning inner work and spirituality) that might have arisen during their stay with us,
- visions/ideas and motivation to proceed with new projects in their lives.
For some volunteers the stay with us has been truly transformational. Of course, this is very much dependent upon the individual person coming.
Beginners on the spiritual quest or people unfamiliar with turning inwards will find other places more suitable for them.
We are a small quiet place. We ask volunteers to leave after a few days if they are not making use of the purpose of the house (going inwards in some personal way, as described above).
Benefits: peaceful garden with pond, large meditation room, library, nature sanctuary for water birds is adjacent to the property. Great view!
Expected help hours:
25 hours/week for free accommodation and organic vegetarian food (self-catering from the kitchen storage). Or:
15 hours/week for free accommodation only. In this case: Please bring your own food or share in the costs.
Working hours start daily at 9.30 a.m.
We are flexible to arrange the hours so that you can have days off for sightseeing and recreation. But, we ask you to arrange your free days with us, as we do have days when we depend on helpers' work.
Some more information about the house:
- Hamburg: 25 min by car / 1h by public transport
- Lubeck / Baltic see: 35 min by car / 95 min by public transport
- next shops: 4 km (bus stop is 50 m away, 10 min ride)
- lakes for swimming: 4 km (bus stop is 50 m, 10 min ride, then 10 min walk)
- accommodation in double- or triple-bed room (mixed gender)
- non-smoking inside
- no pets, please
- reliable high-speed WLAN/WiFi is available around the house and in the garden.
We have three guest rooms for individual or seminar guests.
The large eat-in kitchen is for vegetarian food preparation only and we ask all helpers to bring only vegetarian food to this kitchen if they decide to buy their own food. There is also a small kitchenette for meat and fish preparation.
Four cats also live in the house. But the guest rooms are kept free of all animals.
The garden holds a large variety of edible plants. Each year we harvest about 120 sorts of food: (wild) herbs, leaves, berries, fruits, and vegetables.
We try to keep rules to a minimum. Yet, we ask for respect and awareness. A loving and caring communion among people and all other beings is the best basis for sharing life together. The following can greatly improve your experience and the experience of others during your stay:
- Respect other people's space and silence. They might go through inner processes and need quiescence, sometimes solitude or a meditative space.
- Choose consciously what you fill your system with through any entry – whether that be mouth, ears or eyes. You might want to reduce distractions and diversion of energies. Entertainment, alcohol, "heavy" food, gossiping and Facebook are some common examples. Please, do not smoke weed or take drugs or hallucinogens, while you stay with us.
- Most of the people coming also enjoy shared meals, deep sharing, and cooking or working together. You choose how much you want to participate in that.
- Please, do not come here if you have other constant work online or offline. We offer this house only for volunteers wanting to come on retreat with little other distractions.
Arrival time: Check-in time is between 11 a.m. and 6.30 p.m. on your date of arrival. Later check-ins are not possible.
At times in the past, 50% of the Workaway helpers who reserved beds with us have cancelled their reservation with very short notice. This is not acceptable as our beds for helpers are limited and when you reserve a bed with us we will turn other requests down.
If you wish to reserve a bed with us, please, take your request seriously. If you need to cancel, please inform us 14 days prior to your arrival date.
Hilfe bei Ökoprojekten
Hilfe mit Computer / Internet
We are offering a very special lifestyle with almost monastic qualities.
The two residents of the house meditate 3-5 hours, each day.
A regular meditation practice can change a person's life profoundly.
Travellers can experience for themselves how a lifestyle focused on the inner - through meditation and beyond - might be beneficial for them.
We will not try to teach anything. But whenever travellers have questions concerning meditation, or (their) psychological or spiritual development we will share and respond to the best of our abilities.
Learning here is highly dependent upon the individual coming. You might want to read some of the reviews as there will be direct information from former volunteers how they have benefitted.
Help is appreciated in the following areas: IT and computers, gardening, cleaning, repair or maintenance. If you come with experience in online marketing (Instagram, Facebook, SEO etc.), video creation, or website editing that might also be helpful.
From May to November, we also have many fruits, vegetables, berries and leaves to harvest (for private use in the house, only). In autumn, preparing apple-pear compote and making apple juice are also regular tasks, as we try to make use of the thousands of apples from the garden.
Meditation and retreat center: Multi-bed room (both genders)
Hamburg City Center can be reached within 25 min by car or 1h by public transportation.
The house is located close to a number of lakes. You can go swimming or 'get lost' in nature on numerous hiking trails throughout this area.
Bird watchers will enjoy this area.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
15 hours per week, max 5 days