I own a little jungle retreat, home stay and spa in the nature of Langkawi island. A holiday destination at the north of peninsular Malaysia.
Due to my frequent travelling, I am now looking for budget travelers (minimum 2 persons), who are passionate about nature and animals... to join my jungle project. In return you get to stay for free, cook, laundry and basically share the great nature living.
Both of you need to be physically fit, tough, adventurous, independent and brave to live in the jungle. There will be lots of physical work under the sun and you must be able to withstand the humidity, not afraid of bugs, spiders, cockroaches, leeches, scorpions, lizards, snakes... you must be able to live without WIFI, get a local sim card for your own internet usage is a MUST, be able to ride a non automatic motorbike or cycle on a mountain bike on mountain roads with minimum lights at night, able to dig a 1-2 feet deep hole to bury some dead animals... able to use a saw, machete or operate a grass cutting machine by hand, change oil and nuts... Yup, you need to be TOUGH and STRONG! Many volunteers only see the beautiful scenery of my place but they cannot handle the real life situation in the jungle, so you better think twice before you hit that respond button.
There is no point showing me your diplomas, degrees or any hospitality certificates, I do not need all that. If you have nicely polished nails, teaching skills, accounting background... I am saying this place is NOT for you! Basically I need people who do not have a problem to get their hands cut by trees and thorns, get down to the stones, sand and mud and be DIRTY! After that, if you have an extra talent in cooking, music or arts, then its fine. Labour first, talent second!
Minimum one month stay, there is no maximum length of stay unless you are bored or unfit for the job. You will be offered to stay on my beautiful tree house for free. It is very nice view up there. Make your own cooking at the outdoor kitchen, share bathroom at the guestrooms or the spa. Free usage of the washing machine. Most importantly you will love the tranquility of the surrounding and enjoy the flora and fauna of the beautiful island.
You can use the bicycles or a non automatic motorbike but at your own cost on the petrol.
You will love the simple life and get to know the local and international community. There is a fishing village near by and people are very friendly and laid back. My place is also very near to the airport and Cenang beach is only 20 minutes away. 15 minutes away from the cable car and waterfalls. You can get internet data signal even in the jungle. All you need is get a pluck in modem or a mobile phone with a local SIM card (a must).
I have another traditional Malay bungalow home stay which needs general cleaning, gardening and maintenance helpers. Please contact me for more details.
DO NOT send me a standard self introduction message that you copy and paste to every hosts. You need to read through the above requirements and agree to them. Otherwise, you are only showing that you are not committed, as you do not care enough to find out what kind of jobs need to be accomplished.
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
You will learn about the local lifestyle and the Asian cultures, get to know my homestay guests from all over the world. As I also run a spa, wellness retreats and training for massage, maybe you can learn some massage skills too if we happen to conduct training classes. I may even offer you to work as a part time therapist or yoga teacher with paid. I practise reiki, Tai Ji Qi Gong, in the middle of building an organic harm, busking with music or singing on the street or beach, these are areas that you can learn or share your knowledge and experience. I love to cook, so we can also exchange some local Asian cooking tips. I left big city and corporate world and venture alone into wilderness, serenity and simple life. Maybe you can learn a thing or two from me on how to get rid of the rat race lifestyle and find your own passion. I have a lot of friends and you may be invited to join me and my friends over dinner, gatherings, parties, you will get to know the friendly local people and expats from time to time.
You only need to help me 4-5 hours a day for me with the below tasks:
1) Gardening. I have a huge compound about 1,800 sq meters. Rocky and with tall bushes. I need them to be taken care by raking the leaves everyday, cutting grass with a hand carry machine, trimming trees once a week. Planting herbs and flowers and water them everyday. I have all the necessary tools for you.
2) Cleaning the outdoor kitchen, spa and two guest rooms and the surrounding of the house everyday. Including taking the garbage out. Separate them into recycle bins, compose the waste as fertilizer.
3) Daily laundry work, include but not limited to putting them into the washing machine. Put them on the line for sun drying. Fold them nicely and put them accordingly into the cupboard. If rainy days need to send laundry to a laundry shop down the hill.
4) Taking care of the animals: 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 turtle, many fish, may be in future chickens, geese and ducks. Prepare their food and feed them once a day. Shower the dogs once a week. Basically taking care of their overall well being.
5) Building or fixing the house and other maintenance work from time to time. Building, plumbing or electrical experience is a plus point but not compulsory.
6) Taking care of the homestay guests. Including taking care of the guests, help checking in and check out, introducing them about the local attractions, dos and don'ts. Assist them in many ways.
7) You may be also required to work above tasks at my other homestay from time to time.
8) Have a valid driving license for motorbike or car so that you can do the delivery and purchasing when required.
9) Have a local SIM card in your phone so that we can communicate from time to time by whatsapp.
10) I will provide some dried food, you will need to get your own fresh food.
Hours from 9am till 1pm, but flexible and negotiable and can split the hours. Work from Monday to Friday, off duty on Saturday & Sunday, except still need to feed the animals on daily basis.
English, Chinese, Malay
Tree House. A newly built 8 feet x 8 feet small tree house with a 4 feet balcony on the rock hill over seeing greenery of the jungle. The height is 8 feet above the ground, there are hammocks on the stilts of the tree house. You can lay down and read your book. It is breezy and constantly you can see birds, monkeys, squirrels running around. There two single mattresses and cupboard inside the tree house. A table fan, lights and mosquito net. You can use any of the bathrooms and toilets down the rock hill when there is no guest, otherwise you can use the spa bathroom and toilet before 10am and after 6pm. You will need to be adventurous and be prepared to stay in the nature just two of you. I am not staying there.
You can use the bicycles or the motorbike to move around the island. There are many attractions and I will share with you of those unexplored and non commercial sights. Best local food and hangout places. Just check out on TripAdvisor about Langkawi and all are within minutes to reach, Langkawi is not a very big island.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week