Favourited 167 times
Welcome! Our center is an environmental educational non-profit 501(c)(3) that provides the southwestern United States with skills essential to cultivating ecological abundance and authentic experiences in the natural world.
We work together to achieve our mission by creating affordable earthen buildings, agricultural systems that re-green the desert, and outdoor events that connect us to the natural world. We host various events in these categories that we will welcome your help with to run & be a part of.
We run professional educational workshops & courses for the public in exchange for time, money donations & marketing out reach exposure. Donations from our courses help us sponsor workawayer volunteers & cover their food costs & instructor costs. Our work away volunteers exchange their time to help us run the logical back end tasks of the courses and in exchange to participate and gain knowledge in the workshop like a student attendee would. The workswayers are also helping to build up the infrastructure of the Center.
Help with Eco Projects
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
Help with Computers/ Internet
The experience provides extensive practical opportunities to sustain an off-grid desert community while learning how to plan events in the outdoors.
This center encourages exploration of the world that deepens the connection with yourself while acquiring practical skills and confidence to live in wild spaces.
Be a part of a team of energetic individuals with the intent to reconnect our modern society with the simple necessities nature provides.
You will receive structured orientation into working on our desert homestead
Schedule is often flexible yet engaging. We encourage at least 20 hours a week in exchange for food and residency.
You will be living in an intentional community and supporting the endeavors of an educational nonprofit organization. With that said, we are professional facilitators and work extensively with the public to foster positive interactions within groups. We will do our best to make your stay the best possible.
Recreational activities are numerous and close including hot springs, desert hiking, and rock climbing.
A person in the program must be flexible, self-motivated individuals who embrace simple, desert, and rural living.
Successful applicants are self-starters, curious, inclusive, comfortable in groups, creative problem solvers, and are able to manage themselves through a wide range of challenges.
Individuals that possess a good sense of humor, strong communication skills, a positive attitude, curiosity, and a strong work ethic are essential attributes.
We are excited to work with you!
We are so ecstatic you would like to join us over at our center for a Workaway Hosting! We are very excited about being linked up with a talented and eclectic individual as yourself to begin to build a relationship that will hopefully extend much further than your time at The MC.
Our center is an environmental educational center where we come together as a community and teach alternate ways of living through harnessing the natural resources of our land. We strive to give our students the tools necessary from their experience here to continue to use the knowledge they learn beyond their time with us. Through natural building, off-grid living, ecosystem design, and general education about the Mojave desert, we begin to build a regional community with foundations based on sustainability and conscious living.
At our center, we hope you will experience many things past just the exchange of labor. We are an education center at the core as well as a space for self-expression. We host many outdoor events during our workshops that emphasize dance, self-reflection, positive group dynamics and how to structure positive learning environments in a community setting. A major ethos of our nonprofit, The center is to remember our connection to the Earth and the common need to celebration human existence. We are actively seeking individuals who can help contribute to our vision to create a holistic education center, a space for self-expression and a demonstration of true “freedom.”
Happening Now at the MC:
During your time with us, we will be building a structure that has been designed & led by our apprentices. You will cycle into a schedule to help our logistics team in the kitchen to support all the volunteers onsite and staff as well as join on the job site to learn the SuperAdobe building method.
Please review our timelines below to see if you are available for these dates. Our offerings are currently only for these dates. Please do not expect to “live” here before or after these timeframes. We are not a commune and run professional workshops that a volunteer Workawayer can participate in for exchange logistical help and support for our workshops. Please note, this may differ from other experiences offered by Workaway. You may sign up for a 2 weeks back to back and if we see you as a good fit you may continue you stay with us for additional weeks. Do not hesitate to contact us if there are any questions.
Needed Dates for Workawayer
Hours: 4-5Hrs/Day for a 7 day minimum stay
You may choose up to 2 weeks of volunteer dates
Food is included
- Oct 1st - Oct 7th
- Oct 8th - Oct 14th
- Oct 15th - Oct 21st
- Oct 22nd - Oct 28th
- Oct 29th - Nov 3rd
4-5 hours of volunteering each day, we would certainly love more help in building activities but you are only required to participate for 4-5 hours a day.
While at our center you will help in both areas
- Building : Working with the earth in various natural building methods to help us complete some infrastructure projects.
- Logistics : Helping our logistics team with kitchen prep & systems to run large scale groups at our center.
Various building tasks that will completed during our fall season. During your stay, only a few tasks below might be happening:
- Jump onto the job site to build our new shower dome
- Dome build will be led & designed by our apprentices
- Learn SuperAdobe building techniques for free that are normally taught in a workshop format valuing at $700
- Compass installations in domes
- Earth works basins to be used for building material
- Install Grey Water System from Sink & Shower Drainage to Garden
- Stay is at minimum 7 days, 5 days of work.
- This work is can be intensive, we endure heat and cold as well as endure high winds out here in this portion of the desert.
- We will never ask you to complete a task that you are not comfortable with. Please know that as our domes grow during the building process, they are tall in size. You will rarely be asked to work at the top of the dome but if you are unstable at heights, please let us know and we will task you with a job more to your comfort zone.
- Do not need to have building/construction experience
- Food will be provided for
- Please bring your own lodging set up (tent, car camp etc.)
- Learn Calearth building skills on how to build an earthen dome home
- Learn Earthen Plaster & Natural building techniques
- Participate in group dynamics and community environment
- Beautiful desert land for lodging/camping
Workshops Happening During your time at the MC:
After your scheduled 5 hour worktrade day helping us with the various tasks listed above, you will have a half day off each day to participate in the rest of activities going on at the center or you may use this as free time. During each week we have paying workshop attendees that are participating in each of these courses listed below. You may jump into any of the courses after your workday is complete.
- Oct 1st - Oct 7th - Apprentice Shower Dome
- Oct 8th - Oct 14th - Apprentice Shower Dome
- Oct 15th - Oct 21st - Dome Workshop + Plaster Workshop
- Oct 22nd - Oct 28th - Dome Workshop
- Oct 29th - Nov 3rd - SuperAdobe Basics + Halloween Fundraiser/Costume Dance Celebration
Our center is still in the beginning stages of our build but we do have some infrastructure that allows us to host courses & individuals on the property. Below are a list of facilities you can expect to see at the MC
- Composting Toilet
- Water Harvesting Outdoor Shower
- “The Hub” - Our shipping container for storage
- “Trayc” - Our community kitchen
- “Tea Tent” - Our community zen space
- Solar Power charging station
- LTE Cell Service
- Study Dome (classroom)
- El Chapito Dome (lodging dome)
- Mineshaft Dome (lodging dome)
- Please be mindful to arrive with at least a quarter tank of gas to our land otherwise you might get stuck when you go to leave.
- The closest gas station is 30 minutes away towards Pahrump, NV or in Shoshone, CA and is VERY expensive.
- Hiking trails begin at the edge of our property towards the BLM land
- China Ranch Date Farm, hiking trails & dates!
- Hot springs!!
- Biking trails
- Off roading trails
- World Class Rock Climbing less than 1 hour away
Bring your magic!
We are so excited for you to arrive. Our center is truly about bringing people together to create something larger than themselves. We host many dance parties, ceremonies, yoga flows, movement, breath work opportunities + more! Please bring anything you wish to contribute to the space and it will be accepted with grace and open arms!
Thank you SO much for your love and support. We recognize that we can’t grow without YOU! You are helping us pave the way to make a lasting impact for many generations to come!
We can’t wait to CREATE, EDUCATE & COLLABORATE!
See you in the Mojave!
Send us a message, we will reply with a link to our application on our website. Please fill out volunteer form to begin your application process. We would like to see your application before we set up an interview. After you have filled out the form please allow up to 48 hours for a response.
This host offers a language exchange
This host has indicated that they are interested in sharing their own language or learning a new language.
You can contact them directly for more information.
Earthen Buildings and tents as of now. Please try to bring your own tent or camper if possible.
There are amazing opportunities to climb at Red Rocks, Mt. Potosi and Mt. Charleston if you have a car. We can organize some days where we can all go with the gear the MC owns. There are also hot springs and plenty of exploration in the Mojave desert.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
There is an LTE tower 10 miles away. Service is great.
Plenty of space to park.
Sure but we should talk about these pets first.
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week