Favourited 66 times
After the tsunami, that destroyed houses and future outlooks of many families in Sri Lanka, Unesco helped to found this village. With the additional help and organization from our monch Sadu and Elfi Süss from Germany it was possible to build up the village “Future for children”. Today this village in Koskoda is the home of over 50 families. It contains a school for 200 children, a kindergarden, a brand new sports club with many different events and a local cooking and bakery hut as well as a tailoring and a car workshop facility.
We have many projects and plans for the future to make this village a better place for the local families, especially for the future of the children.
Our goal is to combine education with sports. “Learning by doing”. The children are motivated to learn, play and collect experiences for live all at the same time. For this and many more tasks we are looking for you, your positive energy and support.
Help with Eco Projects
DIY and building projects
Babysitting and creative play
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help with Computers/ Internet
As much as the kids will learn from you, you will get the chance to learn from them. Everyone who lives here in this village has been badly affected by the tsunami and other blow of faith. But they all managed to look forward and create a new life. Learn from their inviting, resilient and positive attitude. You will be most welcome in this community, get invited home to families, be part of the local life with all it's challenges. Taste local food, learn some Sinhala, dive deep into the magical history and energy which is unique in Sri Lanka. Listen to mystic legends and stories, which can not be found in any book or the internet. Get inspired by this unknown culture with all it's secrets.
Besides the cultural knowledge you will have a lot of freedom in being creative in the project. You might be interested in drilling new outdoor climbing routes at undiscovered rocks or support the project with your own ideas for example for holiday camps.
You will enhance yourself in many directions!
Our projects and intensions:
The new YES-Club
“Youth Education Sports club”:
If you are a sport enthusiast who likes to work with local children, this is the perfect fit for you. Whether you think you can support this club with your knowledge about one specific sport like volleyball, sportsclimbing, badminton, beachvolleyball, athletics, netball or table tennis, or you love sports in general we will find a job for you. You’re tasks:
• Teach the kids techniques in your sports profession
• Teach them English while doing sports
• Depending on how long you stay teach them your language
• We are always open for new ideas
• Show passion, support the beginners, find talents to bring them to international competitions
• We are specifically looking for professionals in volleyball, beachvolleyball, table tennis, netball, badminton, athletics and sportsclimbing
Drama club Future for Children:
We have a stage and a big assembly hall that waits to be filled with joy, music, dancing, acting, painting and laughters. If you think you would be a good fit to help our children gain self esteem, play music and act out different plays don’t hesitate to contact us.
• With your experience in drama, music, painting or dancing you give the kids the opportunity to be creative in the world on stage
• We are always open for your ideas and inputs
• The activities are in English, so kids get to learn the language while playing and acting
Cooking and baking project Future for Children:
The Sri Lankan kitchen is one of the most delicious and various in the whole wide world. We have a big kitchen plus a bakery in our village. In this program you will be cooking and baking with different groups of children, teach them your recipes and in exchange learn one or two from the authentic Sri Lankan kitchen yourself.
In our local shop you and your group can sell bread or pastries, whatever just comes out of the oven really.
• Whatever you like to teach the kids in the kitchen or bakery, they might be able to use in the future to sell pastries
• Cook recipies with and for the school- and kindergarden kids
• Cook and bake while talking in english
Painting, gardening, construction work…the right hand in our village:
In the village we always need someone creative who helps with painting, renovating or gardening in the schools and around the sport fields.
Work together with the local families, and organize the work behind the scenes where you can bring in a lot of ides and creativity.
• There are always ideas to create our property more artistic, colourful and kidsfriendly
• Help making our school and sports club a unique and multifunctional place
• Speak English to all kids and teachers working with you
Marketing, branding, social media, photography Future for children:
We are adjusting to the digital era and want to spruce our social media up. For that we need someone that shows a group of children how to take pictures and record the activities photographically around the village as well as loading it on social media and in our newsletter. If you have even experience in SEO and web design, there is always need in those fields as well. Support the project from the digital way.
• If you are interested in photography and videography, you could teach talented kids how to capture fun situations
• The pictures and videos should be used on our website, for our newsletter and social media: if you could teach the kids in this field as well, that would be amazing
• You talk in English to the kids, so they learn the language by doing
This host offers a language exchange
This host has indicated that they are interested in sharing their own language or learning a new language.
You can contact them directly for more information.
We have 8 double rooms, where you usually have your own small private home. Most rooms have their own bathroom with a shower. Mosquito nets are available in each room. The kitchen you will share with other volunteers. Meals will be provided three times a day.
To the beach it is only 2.5 km and you are always welcome in Jungle Beach Camp Ahungalle. A restaurant at a beautiful beach with a spa and wonderful bungalows could be a good weekend timeout. To Colombo as well it is only 1,5 hours of a drive and worth to visit. Many other secret spots nearby will be recommended by the staff and locals. Be ready for a lot of places to explore.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
We are happy to host digital nomads as long as the time won't be cut out of the time you want to spent with the kids.
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week