Favourited 919 times
If someone can be available between the 6th of February up to the 31st of March 2023 that will be convenient for us.
You can take time off one week every three weeks to travel or stay always with us. The dates you will be off so you can organize your travels are : 18th- 26th February; 11th-19th March.
This is a good season to be in Tarragona as you can enjoy the surrounding beaches and go hiking with comfortable walking temperatures.
We are interested in hosting either English or French speakers, as they are the foreign languages we would like to improve at the moment.
We will provide a private room + bathroom, 3 meals (continental breakfast, lunch and dinner).
We are a family living in Tarragona, a city beside the beach, an hour to the south of Barcelona. We have two children, Guifré aged 13 and Martí aged 9. My husband is a police officer, so he has different shifts every week, he is a big mountain runner and participates in different races. I work in an office from 8 am to 5 pm, I like swimming and being in nature.
Note we are a multilingual family: Susana communicates in Spanish to Josep and the children, Josep communicates in Catalan to the children and in Spanish to Susana, the volunteer must always communicate in English/French to the children and the children will change from one language to another when talking to mum, dad or the volunteer.
We are a friendly well-travelled family, we´ve visited most European countries and some in Asia and America.
When travelling with the children most of the times we do home swapping.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and open-minded friendly person who likes discovering other cultures and enjoys spending time with kids, doing anything from reading books to fun games and crafts, so they can learn English/French and at the same time they can have fun. Absolutely essential to be an affective person with children.
If you have some experience teaching English this is a plus, we also prefer someone with experience in childcare.
Guifré is a Lego and origami lover, both Guifré and Martí love playing chess so if you like these activities you can play together. Marti received a ukelele for his birthday so if you like music and can help him to learn to play some songs it would be great.
This job includes some help at home, we expect you to help with laundry , washing dishes and cleaning the appartement once or twice per week. Your main job will be to assure the kids are happy and at the same time improve their English/French skills.
We will be glad to welcome you into our home and family, a room is available for you and a private bathroom for your own use. We want you to be comfortable, like a true member of the family.
You will have enough free time to explore the area, enjoy the beaches we have near by and can go sightseeing.
Babysitting and creative play
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
In the common garden (in summer time) you will have the opportunity to meet our friendly neighbours, all of them are Spanish speakers. The University is close to us, if you are interested you can meet young people of similar age.
You will taste our ´´cuisine´´, however I am not sure if it´s very good...
You can join our daily sport activities : running, walking in the nature, swimming and yoga.
Just let us know your interest and we will try to help you as much as possible.
Temperatures in Tarragona are very mild in winter so it´s perfect to walk around.
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
We need a helper to be with the kids for some hours, basically playing with them and helping them to improve their written English/French and speaking skills, they like outdoor activities in the garden and swimming pool (Spring/Summer) , but also Legos, painting, crafts, origami and chess. Also some hours teaching/tutoring English/French and reading books to both of them. You will leave the kitchen clean after your meals with the kids and bring the trash to the containers located in the street. If you can cook that is great as we like to taste different cuisines.
Some tips on how we can make this a successful and enriching experience :
1. Be open and communicate. If you are tired and want to rest or are not feeling well please inform us, otherwise we don’t know what is going on. When make an offer for you to participate in activities with us you can either accept or say no, up to you, don’t feel forced to be with us in your spare time. We understand you are autonomous and you are able to take care of yourself. Be aware that it might take some time to get used to each other, not just for you but also for us and our children. Ask the children what activities they like to do, what they want to eat as snack when coming home from school…
If you do not get along with us or there’s an issue that bothers you please talk to us.
2. Attend the family meals. Food brings people together – it’s a great social lubricant across cultures. Try to be at home for the meals and help set the table or do the dishes. It’s better to discuss culinary preferences or dietary restrictions rather than not eating what we cook. Again, if you know how to cook, feel free to prepare something from your home country.
3. Respect the schedule. Try to respect our schedules. If you are not at home for meals or activities please let us know ahead of time. Even though we are not your parents, we still worry about you
4. Accept the differences. You will probably have to get used to different food, to new ways of folding laundry, and to house rules that are not the same as back home. Remember: different, new, and not the same don’t have to mean bad. Things are done in other ways around the world and as long as everything works, this is a good thing and part of the learning experience.
5. Mind your manners. You do not live in a hotel and I am not your maid. Keep your room and bathroom clean please. Do not invite friends to a sleepover without asking.
6.Internet piracy is a crime, please do not use our internet access to download any illegal content.
We live in a four bedroom apartment.
The complex consists of 24 apartments has a common garden and swimming pool.
You will have your own bedroom and private bathroom.
We provide 3 meals per day (continental breakfast, lunch and dinner).
If you like you can travel on the weekends and also full weeks when Josep is off (once every three weeks). Barcelona is one hour by bus/train, 14 euros return ticket. In Tarragona there are lot of beautiful beaches (Savinosa, Playa Larga...) that you can reach by public transport. Cultural activities and festivals, the biggest festival in Tarragona is held in the second half of September.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
5 hours/day, 5 days/week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: