Favourited 516 times
Actually we are looking for a workawayer to join our family, these are the options available:
•FROM 13TH APRIL TO 6TH JUNE
*FROM 4TH MAY TO 27TH JUNE
We provide private room+ bathroom, full board (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
We are a family living in Tarragona, a city beside the beach, an hour in the south from Barcelona. We have two children, Guifré aged 10 and Martí aged 6. My husband is a police man so he has different shifts every week, he is a big mountain runner and participates in different races. I work in a office from 8 am to 5 pm, I like swimming and being in the nature.
Note we are a multilingual family: Susana communicates in Spanish to Josep and the children, Josep communicates in Catalan to the children and in Spanish to Susana, the volunteer must communicate always in English to the children and children change from a language to another when talking to mum, dad or the volunteer.
We are a friendly well travelled family, we´ve visited most European countries and some in Asia and America. When travelling with the children most of the times we do home swapping. We just returned from a holidays in Peru.
We are looking for an enthusiast and open-minded friendly person who likes discovering other cultures and enjoys spending time with kids, doing anything from reading books to fun games and crafts, so they can learn English at the same time that they enjoy. We rather prefer an active person who likes outdoors activities and does not stay in bed until lunchtime missing the wonderful nature we have around!
Absolutely essential to be an affective person with children, in the morning when they wake up, when you leave them at the door school, if they fall or are sad...If you try it you will realice how much love you recibe in return.
If you have some experience teaching English this is a plus point for us. Those with previous experience in childcare are also preferred. Guifré is a Lego and origami lover, both Guifré and Martí loves playing chess so if you like these activities you can enjoy together. Marti received an ukelele for his birthday so if you like music and can help him to learn to play some songs it would be great.
This job includes some help at home, we expect you to help with laundry , washing dishes and leaving kitchen tidy after your meals with the children. Your main job will be to assure kids are happy at the same time they improve their English language.
We will be glad to welcome you into our home and family, a room is available for you and a private bathroom for your own use. We want you to be comfortable, like a true member of the family.
You will have enough free time to explore the area, enjoy the beaches we have near by and can go sightseeing around.
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help in the house
In the common garden (in summer time) you will have the opportunity to meet our friendly neighbours, all of them are Spanish speakers. The University is close to us, if you are interested you can meet young people of your similar age.
You will taste our ´´cuisine´´, however I am not sure if is very good...
You can join our daily sport activities : running, walking in the nature, swimming and yoga.
Just let us know your interestes and we will try to help you as much as possible.
Temperatures in Tarragona are very mild in winter time so perfect to walk around.
We need a helper to be some hours with the kids, basically playing with them and helping them to improve their English written and speaking skills, they like outdoors activities in the garden and swimming pool (Spring/Summer) , but also constructions, painting, crafts, origami and chess. Also some hours teaching/tutoring English to Guifré and reading books to both of them. You will leave the kitchen clean after your meals with the kids and bring the trash to the containers located in the street. If you can cook that is great as we like to taste different cuisines.
Some tips on how we can make this a successful and enriching experience :
1. Be open and communicate. Don't stay alone the full day locked out in your room. If you are tired and want to rest or are not feeling well please inform us, otherwise we don’t know if you are bored or what is going on. When we offer you to participate in activities you can either accept or say no, up to you, don’t feel forced to be with us in your spare time. We understand you are autonomous and you are able to take care of yourself. Be aware that it might take some time to get used to each other, not just for you but also for us and our children. Be interested in the activities the children do, what they eat as snack when coming from school…In case you do not get along with us or there’s an issue that bothers please talk to us.
2. Attend the family meals. Food brings people together – it’s a great social lubricant across cultures. Try to be at home for the meals and help set the table or do the dishes. It’s better to discuss culinary preferences or dietary restrictions rather than just don’t eat what we cook. If you know how to cook, feel free to prepare something from your home country.
3. Respect the schedule. Try to respect our schedules. If you are not home for meals or activities please let us know ahead of time. Even though we are not your parents, we still worry about you.
4. Accept the differences. You will probably have to get used to different food, to new ways of folding laundry, and to house rules that are not the same as back home. Remember: different, new, and not the same don’t have to mean bad. Things are done in other ways around the world and as long as everything works, this is a good thing and part of the learning experience.
5. Mind your manners. You do not live in a hotel and I am not your maid. Keep your room and bathroom clean please. Do not invite friends to a sleepover without asking.
We live in a four bedroom appartment.
The complex consisting of 24 apartments has a common garden and swiming pool.
You will have your own bedroom and private bathroom.
We provide 3 meals per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
If you like you can travel on the weekends and also full weeks when Josep is off (1 of each 3 weeks). Barcelona is one hour by bus/train, 14 eur return ticket. In Tarragona there are lot of beautiful beaches (Savinosa, Playa Larga...) that you can reach by public transport. Cultural activities and festivals, biggest festival in Tarragna is held second half of September.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
5 hours/day, 5 days/week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: