I am a widow living on 11 acres in a 3000 sq. ft. four bedroom house with the projects piling up. I am extremely active in my community of 30,000+. I have hosted an exchange student; one of my children and two of my grandchildren have spent a year abroad. My son and family have hosted a yearlong stay with a student from Italy. One granddaughter has spent several months traveling across Europe. We are a multicultural, multiracial family. One son and family live five minutes away from me. I thoroughly enjoy cooking for them and having them over; my son is a great help but he has his own house and three acres to care for. My husband and I did quite a bit of travel around the world. I value and enjoy meeting people from other countries.
I live in southern Oregon surrounded by natural beauty. The mountains and the beaches are each an hour and a half away. We also own a mountain cabin in the Umpqua National Forest on a beautiful lake twenty minutes from Crater Lake.
Help in the house
Help with Computers / internet
With my many connections in the community I can arrange any number of exposures to various fields of interest. Predominant fields of interest here would be forestry, wine industry, small business and tourism. We are on the edge of a magnificent national forest and national park. The Cascade Mountains and its multitudinous hiking and biking trails are within twenty minutes.
My community is not very culturally diverse.
1. Apple computer help with Photos and Word. My son is very knowledgeable and helpful so putting this as #1 doesn't mean I prioritize it as the most needed.
2. Help sorting out and cleaning an outbuilding, storeroom and garage. They're really not too bad, but the help needed is in lifting, moving, taking stuff to the dump. Oh and company to inspire me to do it!
3. Rebuilding an 8' fence around my tiny table grape vineyard; about 75 yards total. The fencing is a heavy duty plastic netting.
4. Moving and stacking firewood.
5. Flower Garden weeding is getting away from me!
6. There may be a project at our mountain cabin this summer that will be half fun and half work. It will involve one son, one daughter and husband. Fishing, swimming, hiking and biking will be the half fun part.
7. Help keeping the house clean during your stay.
English but daughter-in-law is Japanese
My house is two stories. My master suite is on the first floor. The second floor has a bathroom with tub/shower, one bedroom with a queen bed and sink. One bedroom with a twin bed. A third bedroom upstairs is my studio but has a couch/futon.
I like to cook and it's way more fun to cook for two or three. I would expect workawayers to prepare their own breakfast and lunch most of the time (with food I purchase according to their desires.) I will accommodate most diets by having those foods purchased and available.
We are somewhat rural making running and biking easy; we are at 584' and the town area doesn't vary much from that.
Many wineries which host entertainment, tasting and beautiful settings. An active brew culture also.
Music on the Halfshell offers weekly music entertainment during the summer. Local community theatres have two or three summer productions.
Movie theatre is a 13-theatre cineplex.
Lots of river swimming, rafting and kayaking. within 20 minutes.
Summer weather is ideal; it usually doesn't rain from June to November. Low humidity. Temperatures vary between 70-80 and then one 100 degree spurt early August.
i value small-town living and actively promote it. The many foreign high school students we have always have a fabulous time. If you've never experienced small town life this may be your "cultural experience."
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week