Favourited 505 times
ENGLISH NATIVE SPEAKERS ARE OUR PRIORITY !!
My name is Delvis. I'm 25 years old, open minded person and very welcoming for everybody. I graduated from Bachelor Degree two years ago and am really interested in English. That’s why I opened an English school, started from January in 2018, which is still new.
I plan to dedicate my whole life for teaching English and love to have friends from different countries around the world. This workaway website helps me to share experiences and skills with any volunteers, leading me to broaden my knowledge about everything. I continuously need workawayers since I am running a small language center and here we teach skills for young people that are ages 17-28 years old. We realize the importance of English and having fun while learning to help the local people of the surrounding villages in order to improve their English language skills. During your stay with us, you will have a very comfortable room in the nature surrounded by rice-fields, rivers and jungle, only fifteen minutes by motorbike outside the city of Padang in West Sumatra. Apart from this, we are really grateful due to having various tourism destinations where you can spend your day off on travelling and discovering local cultures and tasty food.
I found my school very interesting since we’ve had more students coming every single month. Hence, to facilitate the registration we really need a basic website. If you have a good skill at making the website I will prioritize you.
People in the surrounding villages only get a poor English language education throughout their schooling years. At all ages, there is demand from the local population to have better English skills in order to open opportunities for them in the future. If you feel like you can help, we are in contact with many enthusiastic High-School and University students who would like to improve their public speaking skills. The classes are given either in the outdoor cottages or in the village gathering spot. We can discuss the detailed schedule of classes when you contact me and we go further in planning your stay with us!
Essentially, my aim is to give the local population an ongoing and sustained contact with English-speakers to empower them in their future lives, especially as West-Sumatra is gradually opening up to tourism and since proficiency in English became almost indispensable for whoever aspires to higher social opportunities and professional positions.
1. If you are not a native speaker but you have experiences of teaching English or are confident that you can teach, you are still very welcome. We offer guidance on what to teach and how to teach it.
2. Since we are muslim and very religious, if you are a female traveler please bring and wear “appropriate clothes”.
What we exchange with our volunteers:
1. Teaching techniques. If you are already a teacher we can share our experiences.
2. Exploring the local areas in Padang (beaches, waterfalls, mountains, markets, waterfalls, estates) during free time.
3. Cooking and eating local and traditional food both at the school and around the area.
4. Meeting local people around Padang. They are always eager to get to know volunteers because they don’t see a lot of foreigners.
1. We provide a private bedroom with your own bathroom. In the bedroom there are some facilities such as a fan, mosquito net, pillow, blanket and mattress.
2. You can use every facility in my place, ranging from doing laundry by using a washing machine to cooking food by yourself in the kitchen.
3. There is also a scooter and bicycle that you can use to travel around town in order to buy any common goods. If you cannot drive motorbike, and we have free time we're willing to take you wherever and whenever you want.
4. We usually share and cook local food together.
Note: Please bring your own toiletries and towel with you.
How to get here
if you use airplane to come here, you should fly to Minangkabau International Airport, Padang, West Sumatra. After that, you can take a taxi and I will send my address. Another option is that I will pick you up at the airport if I have free time. You can directly find my place located in Bukik Sungkai, Pauh, Padang if you are staying around the city.
This is a very charming place where you can be sure your help will be warmly welcomed by everybody here! You can contact me on this platform, and we can discuss you next volunteer teaching job in a beautiful place. Looking forward to reading from you! Let's help empower the local community together!
Cooking / shopping
Help in the house
Help with Computers / internet
Cooking and sharing the local food with students and discussing the local Minangkabau culture and learning bahasa Indonesia (even passively) with people in the village, all this while teaching English to your students bring a strong cultural exchange during your stay. Also, you can discover the surroundings since we give workawayers full access to a motorbike!
To take part in the Volunteer Teaching Program, it is essential that you are highly fluent in English. Previous teaching experience and even a little fluency in Bahasa Indonesia are appreciated, but not necessary. I would like my workawayers to be very sociable, open-minded and ready to get involved in a real, really real, local experience. There are several levels of English to teach the local community that go from absolute beginners to more advanced High-School students.
Bahasa Indonesia, English, and Minangkabau
We dedicate a room only for workawayers! The room is comfortable, as it contains a double bed with (a brand new) mosquito net, sufficient space to spread out your belongings on hangers and low tables and a self-contained bathroom.
If you have cooking skills it will be great. Since we usually share food and drink together. We regularly cook "Padang food" and all other common Indonesian cuisine (and eventually french fries and spaghetti if you need a Western touch to your diet =)). Of course, please feel free to propose menus, cook with us and enjoy meals together.
Since we give workawayers full access to a motorbike, you will be able to travel independently on your days off! I would be glad to help you organise your escapades and give you tips about the area.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
3-5 hours per day, 5 days in a week
Accuracy of profile: