Favourited 671 times
ENGLISH NATIVE SPEAKERS ARE OUR PRIORITY !!
My name is Delvis. I'm 29 years old, open-minded person and very welcoming for everybody. I was fortunate because I got a scholarship to take a Master's degree in Belgium for two years. I had lived in Belgium since 2019.
I intend to dedicate my whole life to teaching English and love to have friends from different countries around the world. This workaway website helps me to share experiences and skills with any volunteers, leading me to broaden my knowledge about everything. I continuously need workawayers since I am running a small language center, and here we teach skills for young people that are ages 17-28 years old. We acknowledge the importance of English and having fun while learning to help the local people of the surrounding villages in order to improve their English language skills. During your stay with us, you will have a pretty comfortable room in the nature surrounded by rice-fields, rivers, and jungle, only fifteen minutes by a motorbike outside the city of Padang in West Sumatra. Apart from this, we are really grateful due to having various tourism destinations where you can spend your day off to travel and discovering local cultures and tasty food.
People in the surrounding villages only get a poor English language education throughout their schooling years. At all ages, there is demand from the local community to have better English skills in order to open opportunities for them in the future. If you feel like you can help, we are in contact with many enthusiastic High-School and University students who would like to improve their public speaking skills. The classes are given either in the rustic cottages or in the village gathering spot. We can discuss the detailed schedule of classes when you contact me, and we go further in planning your stay with us!
Primarily, I aim to give the local population an ongoing and sustained contact with English-speakers to empower them in their future lives, as West Sumatra is gradually opening up to tourism, and proficiency in English became almost indispensable for whoever aspires to higher social opportunities and professional positions.
1. If you are not a native speaker, but you have experiences of teaching English or are confident that you can show, you are still very welcome. We offer guidance on what to prepare and how to explain it.
2. Since we are Muslim and very religious, if you are a female traveler, please bring and wear "appropriate clothes."
What we exchange with our volunteers:
1. Teaching techniques. If you are already a teacher, we can share our experiences.
2. Exploring the local areas in Padang (beaches, waterfalls, mountains, markets, waterfalls, estates) during free time.
3. Cooking and eating local and traditional food both at the school and around the area.
4. Meeting local people around Padang. They are always eager to get to know volunteers because they don't see a lot of foreigners.
1. We provide a private bedroom with your bathroom. In the bedroom, there are some facilities such as a fan, mosquito net, pillow, blanket, and mattress.
2. You can use every facility in my place, ranging from doing laundry by using a washing machine to cooking food by yourself in the kitchen.
3. There is also a scooter and bicycle that you can use to travel around town in order to buy any common goods. If you cannot drive a motorbike, and we have free time, we're willing to take you wherever and whenever you want.
4. We usually share and cook local food together.
Note: Please bring your toiletries and towel with you.
How to get here
If you use an airplane to come here, you should fly to Minangkabau International Airport, Padang, West Sumatra. After that, you can take a taxi, and I will send my address. Another option is that I will pick you up at the airport if I have free time. You can directly find my place located in Bukik Sungkai, Pauh, Padang, if you are staying around the city.
This is a very charming place where you can be sure your help will be warmly welcomed by everybody here! You can reach me on this platform, and we can discuss your next volunteer teaching job in a beautiful place. Looking forward to hearing from you! Let's help empower the local community together!
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
Help with Computers/ Internet
Cooking and sharing the local food with students and discussing the local Minangkabau culture and learning bahasa Indonesia (even passively) with people in the village, all this while teaching English to your students bring a strong cultural exchange during your stay. Also, you can discover the surroundings since we give workawayers full access to a motorbike!
To take part in the Volunteer Teaching Program, it is essential that you are highly fluent in English. Previous teaching experience and even a little fluency in Bahasa Indonesia are appreciated, but not necessary. I would like my workawayers to be very sociable, open-minded and ready to get involved in a real, really real, local experience. There are several levels of English to teach the local community that go from absolute beginners to more advanced High-School students.
This host offers a language exchange
This host has indicated that they are interested in sharing their own language or learning a new language.
You can contact them directly for more information.
We dedicate a room only for workawayers! The room is comfortable, as it contains a double bed with (a brand new) mosquito net, sufficient space to spread out your belongings on hangers and low tables and a self-contained bathroom.
If you have cooking skills it will be great. Since we usually share food and drink together. We regularly cook "Padang food" and all other common Indonesian cuisine. Most of them are a bit spicy. Of course, please feel free to propose menus, cook with us and enjoy meals together.
Note : we cannot recommend vegan travellers to stay with us because we get used to eat meats.
Since we give workawayers full access to a motorbike, you will be able to travel independently on your days off! I would be glad to help you organise your escapades and give you tips about the area.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
3-5 hours per day, 5 days in a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: