Favourited 1605 times
My name is Taiyo and I am happily married with two boys and two daughters. I love meeting new people, going travelling and singing at Karaoke. I live on a beautiful island called Ojika, in Nagasaki Prefecture, located 1 hour 45 minutes by ferry from Sasebo or 5 hours by ferry from Fukuoka. The island is bursting with beautiful beaches, stunning scenery and a rich history. Also, in just 25 minutes by ferry you can reach Nozaki Island, a world heritage site since 2018. Uninhabited except for hundreds of deer, the island is reminiscent of its Christian past and is a must-see for anyone interested in the deep and complicated history of Christians in Japan. This Workaway offers a true taste of life in the Japanese countryside with the opportunity to become involved with a local community, currently a tiny and close-knit population of around 2,300 people.
I run a traditional Japanese ryokan (like a bed and breakfast) which opened in June 2015. Then, in October 2016, we expanded the business to include a guesthouse with a capsule room and larger family room. This year (2019) we have begun another expansion of the dining hall and kitchen area- as you can see, we are always working on improving the business and that's why we need your help!
However, we are not only looking for help with housekeeping and general maintenance, but we also want to give you the opportunity to utilize your creativity- if you are an artist, chef, video-maker, or have any kind of talent you want to explore, we would love to collaborate with you and create something special. The main purpose of this Workaway is to invite interesting and creative people to come and share their talents with us, and in return be able to showcase the beauty of Ojika to people far across the world!
What kind of help we might need:
- Cleaning the rooms and common areas in the inn and guesthouse.
- Taking pictures and writing for our blog and social media.
- Helping to cook meals.
- Helping in the garden, farm work, weeding, digging etc.
- Creating videos, artwork or any kind of PR material for the business.
- Helping with odd jobs, fixing bikes, running errands etc.
- Serving dinner to the guests, laying tables and washing dishes.
- Helping to renovate old, traditional Japanese houses.
- Teaching English my kids.
- Housekeeping our traditional our house and Japanese rock garden.
That we offer in exchange for your help:
- You will have your own bed/futon in a share house just for workawayers, meaning you have share room or private room and a place to relax during the evenings and your time off. The house has free Wi-Fi, a laundry machine and all the necessities you will need whilst staying in Ojika. Food is also included in your stay and you won’t be disappointed: 3 big and delicious meals a day- including fresh sashimi- you really won’t need to spend any money during your time here!
- During your stay, as well as being provided with all meals free of charge, we often rent out a private karaoke room for you, take you to any special events happening on the island and even sometimes offer the opportunity to go on private boat cruises with my parents! We want you to have the best experience you can while staying with us!
Requirements to help:
- No previous experience needed, but we do expect you to have a good sense of responsibility, work hard and to value cleanliness!
- Be willing to help clean our inn to the standard expected in Japan- we don't want people with a half-hearted attitude!
- You don't need to speak Japanese! We speak fluent English and a little bit of Spanish.
- You should take many pictures of Ojika island to share with us and for our Instagram and Facebook page!
- Unfortunately we cannot accept couples and friends.
- NO smoking.
- A Big Smile!!!!!!!
*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️Please note that we can only accept helpers with valid visa that allow them to work with us (i.e., Working holiday visa, student visa, spouse visa) Tourist visa is unfortunately not accepted, due to legal issues. *️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️
- We receive many questions about this, but even when you won't get any wages, it's against Japanese law to work and get free accommodation with a Tourist visa. Thank you for your understanding!
We recommend this exchange to people who want to:
- Experience living as part of a countryside community - experience real authentic Japan!!!
- Meet people from across Japan and all over the world.
- Practice their Japanese.
- Share their talent and showcase their creativity.
- Enjoy a break from the crazy city life and relax in beautiful surroundings.
- Make lifelong friends and memories!
What else ...
- Access: You can reach Ojika island by ferry from Fukuoka (night ferry) or Sasebo in Nagasaki (2-3 ferries per day). Whenever you arrive we will pick you up at the boat terminal!
- We can only accept people who will stay for two or more weeks- but extending your stay is almost always ok!
Cooking / shopping
Help in the house
Help with Computers / internet
You can learn or develop your Japanese language skills by talking with locals or with our Japanese staff. You have the opportunity to meet the local Ojika residents and feel part of a small community in this unique countryside environment. You can learn about the running of the inn and guesthouse and get tips on starting and running your own business. Benefit from a happy and healthy lifestyle- biking, exploring, swimming, hiking, eating great food, meeting wonderful people and making lifelong memories.
This host offers accommodation and payment.
We need you to help in the smooth running of our business, including:
-cleaning the rooms
-talking to the guests
-creating PR materials like videos and artwork
-helping with gardening and renovation
We have a large Workaway-only share house located just a two minute walk from the Inn. It has free WiFi, free use of the washing machine and has recently been refurbished. You will also be provided with three big meals a day! No need to spend any money during your stay.
Whatever you want to do, gardening, fishing, cycling, swimming, take care of our cats and more things to do.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day 5 days a week
Accuracy of profile: