Favourited 1933 times
Update 21 June 2020:
My name is Thomas, originally from Germany and I live here in the vegan-hills with 2 sometimes 3 cats in a colorful community/neighborhood of people (over 18 different nationalities) who found and come together through veganism and bought these huge land in the wild South West Algarve.
Sadly the region has been catch June 2020 by the biggest wild-fire in the local history. Our whole land with the beautiful nature and many homes are burned down.
Now as it is safe again to be on the land, we need a lot of help from volunteers who don't mind to make there hands literally dirty, to clean & regenerate the land and even rebuild some homes later this year.
I can host at my own spot 4-6 Volunteers at the same time + everyone who comes with a own tent or camper-van. And also others in the community start now hosting volunteers, so even if I am have no space at my own spot, I can bring you maybe in contact with someone who have a space for you.
Please take the time to read also the rest of my profile, before you get in contact :)
DIY and building projects
Help with Eco Projects
As I am not a local and also all other members of the community are not native. I can't offer you a Portuguese, cultural exchange. Beside of that we are physically a bit isolated from local settlements.
About learning, it depends a lot, how long you will stay, if you stay only two weeks, maybe you learn just how to hold a shovel or use a pickax. If you stay longer, there a for sure more opportunities to getting a impression about off-grid living, permaculture, wood-working, veganism and for sure you build up some muscles ;)
Currently we are only 20 members + up to 10 volunteers spread out over more as 100ha. So we do not live very close together or spend time together automatically every day (maybe now we do, after the fire). Therefore, please do not expect this typical things by the wording "community".
First of all: There is ONLY hard, physical work to do, outside.
So you have to be fit and motivated and don't mind the sun! It can be very HOT some days
In the summer we have been working from 8:30am until 1:30pm with a 15min break for watermelon. It is possible to start earlier most days if you prefer though.
Things to be done:
- cutting and collecting the burned, dead plants
- ditch/trench and tree holes digging (biggest task until winter)
- cave digging (always possible, but have no priority)
- this October I also start transforming a big transporter into a camper van and sometimes a helping hand can be very usefull
(yes...it is mostly digging)
I highly recommend to bring your own working gloves ...and better no white clothing! :)
(the bathroom for volunteers is a separate building and burned a bit, but until we build something new, it is still usable)
- with running water (but please save water, especially in summer)
- with a indoor (not hot) shower (please use only biodegradable, eco friendly soap/shampoo)
- with a indoor compost toilet
(there is a kitchen in the house and a outdoor kitchen, both with a fireplace, electricity and running water)
- in the morning from 8am you can make your self a basic breakfast, like toast, jam, oats, cornflakes with a apple or banana.
- I cook at least ones a day for everyone, usually it is enough for lunch an dinner.
- I also like to make muffins, humus or other snacks for the time between.
- If you bring any food by your own, even if it is only for you, please: no animal product (only vegan)!
In generell, I do not offer coffee, milk, crisps, schokolade, ice cream or similar things.
- There was an amazing treehouse only for volunteers, what is sadly also gone by the fire.
- Now there will be two big tents, each with two single beds, where you have electricity and a wifi signal.
- At the spot of my neighbor (500m) is also a yurt with two single beds for volunteers.
My own tiny house
(you are always welcome to come in and to feel home)
- Here is the indoor kitchen, with fridge and freezer and a washing machine
- Anytime you need, you also can use here the bathroom
- In best case, you are not a smoker, if you have to smoke, please be super carefully, if I see you taking this topic not serious, you have to leave the place on the same day.
For long term volunteers special arrangements can be made.
In your off-time you can do:
* If you are mobile by your own, you can do for sure more things...
- surfing or anything else on the beach (the nearest coast is 8km) aprox 2hr walk
- play tennis or golf in a huge resort close by
- use the slakline
- play beach volleyball behind the house
- explore the surroundings / go hiking
- do yoga, meditate, read, relax in a hammock
- go swimming in one of a close by lake
- do board or card games
- visit others members and volunteers in the community
- I can lend two bikes, but you would be responsible for
The closest "village" is Pedralva, but the closest village with a shop and bus station is Vila Do Bispo.
BE AWARE: I can't offer a shuttle service and we live in the wild with no close bus station or good roads.
Coming with a trolley is also not the best idea (:
The best way to get here, is by bus until "Vila Do Bispo", where I can pick you.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
I have a unlimited data-contract on my wifi, but it is still only via the mobile network and not always the fastest, usually enough to make videochats, but sometimes it is to slow if everyone use it at the same time.
almost any kind of vehicle can reach and park at my spot, but the dirt roads until her are partly very bad.
a big "depends"... I have some cats around who are really scared by dogs, not ideal, but depends ofc also on the dog.. likely they have to be on a leash all the time.
More than two
5 hours a day (max 25 hours, 5 days/week)
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: