Favourited 1464 times
My name is Thomas, originally from Germany and I live here in the vegan-hills with 2 cats in a colorful community/neighborhood of people (18 different nationalities) who found and come together through veganism and bought these huge land in the wild South West Algarve.
I am looking for help at my own spot here and offer you vegan food and a place to stay in a calm, natural environment.
Please take the time to read my whole profile, before you get in contact with me :)
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
As I am not a local and also all other members of the community are not nativ, I can't offer you a portuguese, cultural exchange. Beside of that we are physically a bit isolated from local settlements.
About learning, it depends a lot, how long you will stay, if you stay only one or even two weeks, maybe you learn just how to hold a shovel and brush or use a pickax. If you stay longer, there a for sure more opportunities to getting a impression about off-grid living, permaculture, wood-working, veganism and non-violent ways of life.
If socializing one of your higher priority's:
I can't promise anything about that. Currently we are only ~20 people spread out over more as 100ha. So we do not live close together or spend time together every day. Therefore, please do not expect too much by the wording "community". The best thing here is, that it is quiet and you have your peace.
First of all: I have only physical work to do, outside, so you have to be fit!
You can decide for yourself when to start, when to take breaks and when do you take a day off.
Things to be done:
- ditch/trench digging
- tree planting (means mainly digging as well)
- cave digging
- gardening (weeding, planting, extending the windshield, watering)
- forest clearing
- make firewood
- work with clay
- create paths
I like it, if you also bit independent with a eye for what have to be done or coming up with own ideas.
German (native), English (Community Standard), a little bit of many others
(the bathroom for volunteers is a separate building)
- with running water (but please save water, especially in summer)
- with a indoor (not hot) shower (please use only biodegradable, eco friendly soap/shampoo)
- with a indoor compost toilet (please don't use the nature as you toilet)
(there is a kitchen in the house and a outdoor kitchen, both with a fireplace, electricity and running water)
- in the morning you can make your self a basic breakfast, like toast, yam, oats, cornflakes and a apple or banana. Sometimes we do pancakes, french-toast or scramble tofu. If you like coffee and/or soymilk you have to bring it by your own.
- I like to cook ones a day for everyone, usually it is enough for lunch an dinner.
- I also like to make muffins or a cake for the time between.
- If you bring any food by your own, even if it is only for you, please: no animal product (only vegan)!
- There is a tree-house with a proper bunk-bed for two volunteers. It have light, electricity and you get a WiFi-signal from the house (no heating).
- There is a camper with a double bed, with a bit more space, also with light, electricity and even running water, but no WiFi-signal yet (no heating).
My own tiny house
(you always welcome to come in and to feel home)
- Here is the indoor kitchen, with fridge and freezer and even a washing machine
- If you in need of a hot shower, you also can use my
- No Indoor smoking and outside only very careful, especially in the summer!
You can also come with your own tent- or camper van.
Dogs are also welcome, but as I have free cats, they need to be on a leash and can not come in to the house.
For long term volunteers special arrangements can be made.
In your off-time you can go surfing if you are mobile by your own (the closest beach is 8km by car), use our own climbing/boulder wall or slakline, explore the nature, do yoga, go swimming in one of a close by lake or visit others people in the community. A hike around the boarders of our land have already 6km.
The closest "village" is Pedralva, in case you have no car, I can pick you up there and sometimes also in Vila Do Bispo.
Be aware: I can't offer a shuttle service and we life in the wild with no close bus station or good roads.
The best way to get here, is by bus until "Vila Do Bispo". From there you can easy (hitch-)hike to Pedralva or get a lift from me or my neighbor.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
4-5 hours a day (max 25 hours, 5 days/week)
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: