Usually responds within 3 days
I am graduate teacher (B sc /Mathematics /Economics) M.A economics and PhD ( Economics) candidate
I am married and stay with my wife and five children with vast experience in handling volunteers , visitors, widely traveled (I have visited Tanzania, Uganda, Egypt, Turkey and Italy).
Our Project engages the families, communities, and partners to ensure that children enjoy good health, education for life, experience the love of God, and their neighbors and cared for, protected and participating. This is inline with our main goal of sustainable of well being of the children especially the orphans and vulnerable. We exist because the children are waiting!!." The orphans live with their foster families in the local community and they do not stay with me.
There are lots of legends and memorized stories of all our cultural livings and styles from the time of our great grandparents and how they have changed with time from community storytellers. Through this they will grasp our customs and cultural behavior
Orientation to the volunteers covers
Safety , local customs and culture, a trip to the volunteers work site, available local transport options, important dates in Kenya and any other area of concern
they will get live there and then which in return builds the our living styles, our traditional and cultural methods of of doing all our activities.
The volunteers will be issued with letters of recommendation. on request
Our activities expose volunteers to on hand work experience which in return builds their resumes for a favorable job competitions at both national and international levels. We need both skilled and unskilled volunteers who wish to develop their skills as they experience a new culture.
Our project dearly welcomes those with fundraising skills to help us raise funds towards the construction of our classes and buy basic needs for the children. Our projects supports orphans and vulnerable whose number has drastically increasing in our region due to HIV/AIDS pandemic and other illness related causes
Our project creates an opportunity for people from different parts of the world a relaxed environment and grantees an opportunity to showcase the unique loving and hospitable culture of the Luo community. Members are ever at stand by to ensure that the volunteers are comfortable. YOUR COMFORT IS OUR SUCCESS!!!!! .
Volunteers will also learn our organic methods of farming, they will visit and see different local fishing industries and learn our local methods of fishing, and they will learn our ways of preparing different food staffs and those with interest will gain by interacting with the community and learning our local languages that is Swahili, Luo and Suba.
If the volunteers can stay one week or longer, at your wish, we will arrange someone to Kisumu International Airport to pick you up and accompany you to come to our home. You may need to pay a small transportation fee.
Types of help and learning opportunitiesCharity WorkArt ProjectsLanguage practiceElderly CompanionshipTeachingGardeningDIY and building projectsFarmstay helpCreating/ Cooking family mealsGeneral MaintenanceHelp with Computers/ Internet
UN sustainablity goals this host is trying to achieve
Cultural exchange and learning opportunities
Benefits for the volunteers
1. Learn more about the host community and also get contact with international friends for future idea exchange.
2. Volunteers will be equated with increased cultural knowledge for global understanding or employment. There was universal awareness that globalization entailed international cooperation and an expectation that internationalized companies would prize the cultural skills that the international study context would instill
3. Provide a forum for networking opportunity
4. Get the chance to visit other tourist attraction centers in different countries
5. Orientation to the volunteers covers
. Safety, local customs and culture, a trip to the volunteers work site, available local transport options, important dates in Kenya and any other area of concern
You will get live here and then our living styles, our traditional and cultural methods of of doing all our activities.
What volunteers will learn
1. Local culture.
2 .Cooking style and eat our local foods.
3. Language - Dholuo, Kiswahali and Abasuba.
4. Learn our education curriculum and our Kenya ecosystem.
Projects involving children
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
Specific tasks /help needed from volunteers
1. Teaching the children English and help in environmental activities
2. Helping in our organic farm- planting vegetable , beans, carrots and maize
3. Participating in our gender streaming campaign- For a long time women in our community have been over looked and our projects strives to create gender balance to propel development the community
4.Helping in the administrative tasks -report writing, Net working, Fund raising and School (Project) website development ( in case a volunteer has the skills) and Project Networking
5. General school cleaning and maintenance of the school compound
6. Participating in staff capacity building for example administrative schools or skills transfer in any filed relevant to our project.
7. HIV/ADS awareness creation in the School/ community- HIV/Aids has remained a killer disease in our community, Our project strives to create more awareness in regard to its control
8 . Playing with the children( Drawing and doing art work ) and having any fun to help them feel happy
The volunteers will also get the chance to initiate projects of their own choices /interests within the project objective and policy
Swahili (Kiswahili): Fluent
Workawayers will stay with host family and get free accommodation, provided with private room ,bed, mosquito net, blanket, sheet , the room will have electricity for light and the volunteers will have the freedom to use their computers /laptops at no extra cost in case the volunteers have modern for internet connection-but this can also be arranged The room is well lockable and the volunteer given a key to improve the safety and privacy .The room is very quite and my family are members are very loving and kind. The volunteers are involved in our day to day act ivies to enable them get full cultural exchange during the visit. We provide free meals - breakfast, lunch and dinner using the locally available foods.
What else ...
Lake Victoria !!!
Lake Victoria is ONLY minutes away from where you staying. Africa's largest lake by area, the world's largest tropical lake, and the world's second-largest fresh water lake by surface area after Lake Superior in North America.
Ruma National Park !!!
The volunteers can have the opportunity to visit Ruma National Park just about 27 km from our home. Ruma National Park is a home to Giraffe, Rhino, Antelopes and several other animals which are not found in other parks in South of Sahara. We will help you arrange the transportation and guide according to your schedule at a minimum cost.
- Discover Mbita town.
- Take a ferry and visit Takawiri Island, Mfangano Island or Luanda Kotieno Beach.
- Climb or go with motorbike to our mountains.
- Know Lake Victoria.
- Visit Kisii and Kisumu cities.
- Visit Tambasa Bird cinerary - Mfangano Islands
- Hill Climbing - Gembe Hills.
- Visit local historical sites with strong LUO community myths.
- Visit the community to learn the life style, local language, local culture and develop new friends
No volunteer will be allowed to walk at night unless with the project member with the knowledge of the coordinator , maximum security is granted at no cost.
A little more information
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
How many Workawayers can stay?
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: