UPDATE 4 December 2020: I'm seeking a workawayer to arrive December 15 or sometime soon after, with a preferred stay of 3 to 8 weeks (ideally through sometime in January).
We have had ten workawayers stay here so far. Most have stayed between 2 weeks and 6 weeks (though sometimes as long as 20 weeks). Our experience has been overwhelmingly positive! (We have met a few, however, who couldn't keep to a regular work schedule... I've updated the details section below to reflect what type of person will work out well here.)
We live in a single-family house that is 100m away from the beach. Our beach offers swimming in the ocean (Long Island Sound) from July through September. We are in the city of Stamford (120,000 people) which is located 45 minutes from NYC by train.
We need someone who is fluent in English, reliable, and willing to help consistent hours on our large organizing/simplifying/accounting project. Please be available for at least two weeks!
Zubereiten / Kochen von Mahlzeiten für die Familie
Hilfe mit Computer /Internet
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
We have been hosting visitors from other countries for 15 years, and have enjoyed many interesting conversations with our international guests. I have studied in Europe and traveled to 6 continents, and love learning about other places. I spent seven years working NYC and have lived in Connecticut for 20 years.
We are happy to include workawayers in our family activities and we often invite them to join us on our adventures (swimming, sailing, hiking, cycling, flying in small airplanes, etc.).
I am looking for someone who can help with a few daily chores (1-2 hrs a day) plus two major projects. The projects are:
1. Doing office paperwork (filing, sorting, organizing, keeping up to-do lists). Sorting receipts and bank statements, entering amounts into spreadsheets, and filing the receipts.
2. Help with a major reducing and simplifying project: decluttering, sorting, and organizing the house. Disposing of unneeded items (via eBay, craigslist, Freecycle, etc.) This includes listing unneeded items on ebay/craigslist (taking pictures, writing ebay listings, and packaging items for shipment). The object is to get the total number of items in the house to about 50-60% of what is in the house now. Basically a whole-house Marie Kondo project - every room, every shelf, and every drawer, one at a time!
In addition to work on the two major projects, workawayers' routine daily chores while here:
- Helping me prepare dinner (on days you are eating dinner here)
- Helping clean up after dinner (on days you are eating dinner here)
- Helping with me to keep the kitchen and living areas clean (sweeping / mopping twice a week)
- Mowing the lawn (1 hour, once a week, May-November)
- Pulling weeds from the garden and yard (1.5 hours, once a week, June-September)
What type of person will do well here? I'm glad you asked!
We have now hosted about ten workawayers from a wide variety of backgrounds. Most have been wonderful! I observed that the workawayers who have the best experience here are people who are:
- accustomed to getting up in time to prepare their own breakfast before showing up to work on time... and delving into the tasks without direct supervision
- clear communicators
- efficient use of their time
- resourceful (see below).
Expect to work the full 25 hours every week. Of course you will also have lots of time off (weekends and evenings), which you can spend exploring Connecticut, going to the beach, and/or taking excursions to NYC.
Here's an example of what I mean by "resourceful":
You are given a task to do, and halfway through it, you run into an obstacle (something we don't have or don't know, that is needed to complete the task). Do you:
(a) shrug your shoulders, move on to something else, and later tell your host you couldn't do the task
(b) use the internet to research the problem/figure out ways we can overcome it; make a brief list of possible solutions; and bring up the obstacle to your host, along with your suggestion of the best solution.
Dieser Gastgeber bietet Sprachaustausch an
Dieser Gastgeber gibt an, dass er dir gern seine Muttersprache beibringt oder selbst eine Sprache lernen möchte.
Bitte wende dich direkt an ihn, um weitere Auskünfte zu erhalten.
You will have your own private bedroom in our family home. The room has a full size bed, dresser, desk, a TV and a stereo. It connects to a shared bathroom.
We have one cat. He is very friendly. He does not go into your bedroom.
It is 1.9 miles (3 km) from our house to the Stamford train station. The train ride from there to NYC is 50 minutes and costs $13. We have a bicycle you can use to get to the train station
We have a beach 100m from our home which is good for swimming in summer (July-September). It is also good for sailing (May-October).
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
We have reliable internet. A digital nomad would just need to have the time and energy to devote 25 hours a week to our work as well.
25 hours a week (5 hours per day, 4-5 days per week)