Bisher 185 mal gespeichert
UPDATE on 28 July 2020: We have a workawayer here through August. Expect to have an opening sometime this fall - not sure when.
We have had ten workawayers stay here so far. Most have stayed between 2 weeks and 6 weeks (though sometimes as long as 20 weeks). Our experience has been overwhelmingly positive! (We have met a few, however, who couldn't keep to a regular work schedule... I've updated the details section below to reflect what type of person will work out well here.)
We live in a single-family house that is 100m away from the beach. Our beach offers swimming in the ocean (Long Island Sound) from July through September. We are in the city of Stamford (120,000 people) which is located 45 minutes from NYC by train.
We need someone who is fluent in English, reliable, and willing to help consistent hours on our large organizing/simplifying/accounting project. Please be available for at least two weeks!
Hilfe mit Computer / Internet
We have been hosting visitors from other countries for 15 years, and have enjoyed many interesting conversations with our international guests. I have studied in Europe and traveled to 6 continents, and love learning about other places. I spent seven years working NYC and have lived in Connecticut for 20 years.
We are happy to include workawayers in our family activities and we often invite them to join us on our adventures (swimming, sailing, hiking, cycling, flying in small airplanes, etc.).
I am looking for someone who can help with four different things.
1. Cleaning and tidying the house, including helping to prepare dinner and clean up afterwards.
2. Doing office paperwork (filing, sorting, organizing, keeping up to-do lists).
3. Help with a major reducing and simplifying project: decluttering, sorting, and disposing of unneeded items via eBay, craigslist, and Freecycle.
4. Tidying the lawn and garden. Pulling weeks, running the lawnmower, trimming the edges (and hedges)
Your specific help while you are here will be
- Helping me prepare dinner (on days you are eating dinner here)
- Helping clean up after dinner (on days you are eating dinner here)
- Helping with me to keep the kitchen and living areas clean (sweeping / mopping twice a week)
- Decluttering and organizing the house - every room, every shelf, and every drawer, one at a time!
- Sorting receipts and bank statements, entering amounts into spreadsheets, and filing the receipts
- Listing unneeded items on ebay/craigslist (taking pictures, writing ebay listings, and packaging items for shipment)
- Mowing the lawn (1 hour, once a week, May-November)
- Pulling weeds from the garden and yard (1.5 hours, once a week, June-September)
What type of person will do well here? I'm glad you asked!
We have now hosted about ten workawayers from a wide variety of backgrounds. Most have been wonderful! I observed that the workawayers who have the best experience here are people who are:
- accustomed to getting up in time to prepare their own breakfast before showing up to work on time... and delving into the tasks without direct supervision
- clear communicators
- resourceful (see below).
Expect to work the full 25 hours every week. Of course you will also have lots of time off (weekends and evenings), which you can spend exploring Connecticut, going to the beach, and/or taking excursions to NYC.
Here's an example of what I mean by "resourceful":
You are given a task to do, and halfway through it, you run into an obstacle (something we don't have or don't know, that is needed to complete the task). Do you:
(a) shrug your shoulders, move on to something else, and later tell your host you couldn't do the task
(b) use the internet to research the problem/figure out ways we can overcome it; make a brief list of possible solutions; and bring up the obstacle to your host, along with your suggestion of the best solution.
You will have your own private bedroom in our family home. The room has a full size bed, dresser, desk, a TV and a stereo. It connects to a shared bathroom.
We have one cat. He is very friendly. He does not go into your bedroom.
It is 1.9 miles (3 km) from our house to the Stamford train station. The train ride from there to NYC is 50 minutes and costs $13. We have a bicycle you can use to get to the train station
We have a beach 100m from our home which is good for swimming in summer (July-September). It is also good for sailing (May-October).
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
25 hours a week (5-6 hours per day, 4-5 days per week)