Bisher 462 mal gespeichert
Come help a small hippie commune build an empire! Okay, that's a joke. Sort of. There are 5 communes working together, all within 15 minutes of each other, that have internal economic and governance systems. We are growing stronger by the day. If things keep going the way they have been we are hoping to take over the world, or at least some adjacent property, within the next millennium. In the meantime we need help with a variety of tasks such as natural building, creek work, gardening, forestry, art installations, some geeky data analysis and calculation of ecological footprint, and installing a huge zipline (which is essential for the revolution). Yes, we are a bunch of dreamers, but we are on a solid path to turning our dreams into reality.
We are a community. We are also creating an environmental education center. We need a wide variety of skills to grow, including web-design, ecology and soil science, gardening, sculpture, engineering, fund-raising, carpentry, electrical, aesthetics and art, philosophy, and sometimes even mathematical modeling of dynamic systems.
Our community's educational outreach center, is devoted to teaching the link between criticizing global ecological damage and responding to it with local activity. We host regular classes and workshops focused on sustainability and would love to host guests with a desire to share skills and knowledge.
There are several projects we are hoping to find some skilled and motivated people to help out with:
1. Classroom Building: We are building a large reciprocal roofed timber frame building for our educational center. No experience necessary, but skilled craftspeople are welcome.
2. Museum Trail: We would love help designing, building and maintaining exhibits on our sustainability museum in the forest. Current exhibits include a carbon balance model where users can see how much CO2 their lifestyle produces, a Lego sized model of the resources used by average Americans, and a Barbie scale ecovillage demonstrating many sustainable building methods.
3. Off-grid Workshop: We are working on converting power tools to a combination of human power and direct solar (no batteries needed). Welding skills or knowledge of photovoltaics would be a huge help, but we also need general help converting a cabin to a workshop.
4. Campground: Help us further develop our tent-camping sites and hospitality accommodations for groups, guests, and workawayers. This will involve some forestry work, some construction, and some creativity.
5. Event Planning: We could use help putting on a festival that's happening this summer and a conference that's coming up in the fall. Help throwing the occasional party would be very welcome as well.
6. Playground: We are all still kids at heart. The little ones enjoy our playground, but the rest of us use it too. Help us make platforms, swings, slides, a zipline, and whatever else our imaginations can conceive of.
7. Swimming Hole: This spring we would like to dig a natural swimming hole adjacent to a creek in our woods.
In addition to all the exciting projects, there is still always a fair bit of domestic work to do, including cooking, cleaning, laundry, taking out the compost, watching kids (and jumping on the trampoline with them for hours), stoking the wood-fired hot tub, cleaning the pond, gardening, and brewing ginger beer.
Every morning we meet over breakfast to discuss our day, then work together until lunch. After lunch we each work separately on our various projects. Although many of the projects here require some level of skill, most problems you might encounter are only 3 youtube videos away from being figured out, and if not, we can figure it out together.
We would love to host international travelers and we love cyclists. We are on warmshowers.org too.
Our community is nestled amidst beautiful countryside, and is walking/biking distance to several other intentional communities with a variety of other interests. We are less than an hour away from Richmond, VA, Charlottesville, VA, and two hours from Washington DC. The ocean and the mountains are both a day trip away.
You must come visit us! Don't come home from your trip and have all your friends shame you for traveling all the way to USA and not spending time in the communes.
We can't wait to meet you!!
Hilfe bei Ökoprojekten
Betreuung von Tieren
Hilfe bei Kunstprojekten
Hilfe mit Computer / Internet
This is an immersive experience in a community that is part of a network of egalitarian income-sharing communes that are weaving the new paradigm, spreading the seed of the revolution, or at least recipes for vegan snacks. The local communes attract guests and members from all over the world, opening surprising cultural exchange opportunities that you would not typically see in a rural area.
we need help explaining to our chickens that digging in the garden is against their interests and not just ours.
we want to build a water battery where a pool of water can drain back into the well turning a hydro-electric pump to generate electricity. or at least convince us that this project is a waste of time.
we need lots of help in the garden
we need someone excited about our inter-community farmer's market booth, who also wants to help with making vegan treats for sale.
we need someone to hang out with and help teach our kids new tricks.
we need someone to help with solar cooking and food dehydrating, and inventing new recipes
we need creative and artistic and nerdy minds to work on our exhibits and spaces.
we need fresh perspectives on what needs improvement in our community.
English, Hebrew, Spanish, Pig-Latin
We have various places to sleep: some houses, barn, van, vintage airstream trailer, sailboat, wigwam or a hammock. 15 acres of forest are available for you to play or camp in. We have two showers, composting toilets, running water, hot tub, bathing pond, lots of electricity (yea, from the grid, but we are in the process of installing 15 solar panels). We eat almost all of our meals together, and take turns cooking . All of your food will be provided here. We stick to a freegan diet (we don't buy animal products, but eat the animal products we raise, like eggs and milk, or find in the dumpster (it is amazing how much delicious food is thrown away in this country). We accept and accommodate people with various diets, including vegetarians and vegans.
We are a very close knit community that is more like an extended family. Expect to be well integrated into the social sphere, and please be willing to have open and honest communication with the people around you. We expect that volunteers will fully participate in the culture here. We do not have a culture of partying; excessive alcohol or drug use will not be tolerated. We expect all volunteers and members to keep the common spaces tidy and personal belongings in personal spaces.
Here on the property we have places to swim, play in the forest, hike, camp, and create. The surrounding communities host regular social events like dancing, singing, happy hour, potlucks, and parties. You could hike in the blue ridge mountains, which is only about an hour away, and the ocean is only two hours from us. There are local commune shuttles that you can use to get around as well.
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
mehr als zwei
Maximum 4 hours a day, 6 days a week
Dies sind zusätzliche optionale Bewertungen, wenn Mitglieder Feedback hinterlassen. Es wird die im Schnitt hinterlassene Bewertung für jede Option angezeigt.
Korrekte Angaben im Profil: