I am gradually rebuilding an old stone house and barn in the beautiful island of Andros. The place is located in the unspoiled wetlands of Achla and belonged to my great-grand father, so I'm the fourth generation.
My place is located next to the beach (where there is also a famous lighthouse), above a river and between two mountains. It consists of about 50.000 m2 of land and 300 m2 of traditional stone buildings.
My place would be ideal for anyone that would like to be close to the nature, be it a couple, a company of friends, or solo travellers.
My place has no modern infrastructures, besides a power generator that is used mainly to power electric tools that are necessary for rebuilding the place, a fridge, to enable us reduce car transport and a gas stove, to enable us to cook without fires on a daily basis during the hot season.
One can experience the way of living that existed decades ago, which is pretty much like a free camping, but in an agricultural home environment.
Heimwerker- und Bauarbeiten
Zubereiten / Kochen von Mahlzeiten für die Familie
Mithilfe auf einem Bauernhof
Hilfe bei Ökoprojekten
If you have experience in building work (or you'd like to get some) and are looking for a break from what ever you do right now I think you will really enjoy my place.
The surroundings are so beautiful and pure, especially during off-peak months (peak months are July and August).
You can stay for as little as two weeks and for up to two years after making certain legal arrangements, rent free of course.
Pets are welcome. My place is ideal for dogs and cats, as they have plenty of space to run to.
From a cultural point of view, Andros is a great place to be, as it gives one the opportunity to engage in different activities, from contemporary art, to folk music, theatre, as well as the recently re-established paths that date back to previous centuries.
To that extent, Achla is a great place to start, as it is "hidden" from civilisation (at least for 10 months / year).
If you come to my place at this point, you'll have the opportunity to experience how to start a huge project from scratch, living literally off the grid, w/o electricity and modern amenities, surrounded by nature.
The lighthouse "Gria" (granny) is around 1,5 km from my place.
The monastery of Agios Mamas is the nearest monastery and is short hike (around 2,5 km).
The monastery of Agios Nikolaos is one of the most well known monasteries in Andros. It is a good hike (around 5 km) and the surroundings of the route are beautiful.
My place is a 5 min walk from the amazing beach of Achla, the best beach of Andros and one of the greatest in Greece.
The work to be done includes mainly building work but also other tasks that may seem secondary but are paramount for the well being of the project:
- collecting stones from a 50.000 m2 plot
- cutting wood, digging
- rebuilding stone walls
- working with concrete and wood
- pruning wild berry bushes
- fishing (be it with a fishing rod, a speargun, or another legal method)
- washing clothes etc (in the river, with olive soap)
- drying clothes etc
- keeping the building and garden tidy and clean
Provision of a small boat to assist in fishing might be possible to arrange for stays that are 2 months or longer.
At this stage of the project, it is very likely that if you see yourself fit in any of the 3 skillset profiles below you could make a very valuable contribution to the project:
a. The Builder
• good at making stuff with his/her hands
• physically able to assist in carrying heavy items, such as 25kg bags of cement, sand etc w/o self-harming
• physically able to assist or undertake heavy duty tasks, such as digging with a shovel and other manual tools, moving heavy stones w/o self-harming (with the assistance of a car)
• plumping and/or stone-shaping experience would be very welcome but are not necessary
b. The Fisher
• able catch and prep sea fish on a daily basis
• happy to undertake (or guide) the ideal fish BBQ
c. The Caretaker
• happy to undertake all the cleaning tasks a home requires w/o using any modern amenities, such as running water, electricity and a sewage system
• good at keeping places tidy and clean
• happy to take on other tasks, such as shopping, carrying drinking water, cooking, etc
d. The Agronomist
• having the experience and knowledge to study the 50.000 m2 area and identify crops that could cope well
• able to undertake the physical work (with assistance where necessary) of starting some of the crops and creating the infrastructures they'll need
• being able to monitor the crops for the most crucial / vulnerable time of the crop, even remotely
Also, anyone who alongside the 4 above skillset profiles would also have paramedical or masseur skills could be great for the small project-team that will be on site.
The best place to sleep is the ground floor of the two storey stonehouse that consists of two rooms and is home to an old fireplace too. It is relatively chilled in the summer and quiet warm in the winter.
You can have your own private room (considering there will be no more than 4 of us) and can take a shower in the river (or under our camping shower). A dry toilet will also be available. We will cook with gas and will also hold BBQ's with real wood (I try to avoid industrially produced carbon when possible, especially when wood is available).
The environment and the lack of modern infrastructures make it easy to sleep a little after it gets dark and wake up when the sun rises.
Apart from the described accommodation, I will offer transport to the town of Andros at least once a week and 3 meals per day:
• a good breakfast with bread, tea, coffee, local honey & eggs
• a small mid-day meal, consisting of an apple and a small sandwich, a toast or a small salad (such as a potato salad with spring onion and florina pepper)
• the main meal of the day as an early dinner (19.00 - 20.00ish) that will sometimes be a meat or fish BBQ
Pescatarians are not as common as vegetarians and vegans, but if you are a pescatarian and you love the nature, it is likely you'll love my place.
You can create your own vegetable garden, you can hike, you can swim, you can read, you can ride a horse or a donkey, you can document the different species of birds that live in the surroundings, you can enjoy your company. You can relax and experience a true "back to nature" lifestyle. You can eat wild berries straight from the bush, which is something I do with every opportunity I get (be it in Greece, Italy or Norway). Υou can even pick a spot to install a hammock under some plane trees!
mehr als zwei
to be arranged- max 25 hours/week