We are a Ugandan Non-Governmental Organisation that was established in 2007 to support poor vulnerable communities, including rural farmers, orphans and vulnerable children, women, youth, people living with HIV/AIDS, and the disabled. Our mission is to improve community livelihoods through rights empowerment, sustainable agricultural production, environmental conservation, health education and promotion, economic empowerment and nutrition, skills development and educational support. The organisation has well established offices in central and western Uganda especially in the districts of Hoima, Kibaale and Wakiso. Since our establishment, we have designed and implemented a number of projects with major donors such as USAID, UNDP, and WWF, thus reaching several thousands of beneficiaries.
While delivering its mandate, our staff and volunteers foster professionalism in delivery of its services; have empathy, cherish team work emphasizes accountability to all our internal and external stakeholders; provide services in an inclusive manner while taking into account the social, cultural, political, religious and other demographic diversities of the population it serves. They also emphasizes equality for all and equity through delivering according to needs.
We provide volunteer and internship opportunities. Since its inception the organisation has hosted 17 international volunteers from countries such as Brasil, Catalonia, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Kosovo, the Netherlands, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
Special Long term volunteers needed. The organisation is looking for two volunteers from any part of the world to volunteer in management for a period of two to three years. One will be in Wakiso and another one in Hoima. Should be aged 28 years and above with a masters degree plus skills in resource mobilisation, even if one doesnt have the experience. This person will not pay the three dollars per day. The tasks to perform can be got through discussion with the host.
Help with Eco project
Help with Computers / internet
We are looking for volunteers from abroad who can help in Hoima district of western Uganda. We can also consider helping in Wakiso and Kibaale districts if prefered. We would like to have volunteers that are patient, flexible, friendly, and outgoing. It is a bonus to have knowledge in community work, organic farming, permaculture and sustainable farming, education, or health. They must be ready to learn and adapt to our culture and have empathy.
Each volunteer has a different background, interests, and set of skills. The organization is currently implementing projects are about economic empowerment of children, youth and women, sustainable farming, health including HIV/AIDS prevention, and education in the Hoima area; so every volunteer is sure to have something to do that they like. We design volunteering programs so that they are all customized according to our needs and the volunteer’s preferences.
Volunteers are welcome for any period of time, whether on the short or long term. Volunteering programs will be made accordingly so that you can reach your objectives and ensure that you can contribute to the best of your capacity.
Given our current programs, we are particularly interested in volunteers who want to work in:
1. Sustainable agriculture. Help the organisation to set up standard agriculture demonstration sites at the Hoima office. The organization has demonstration sites that are used during training. These are used to train about and promote small-scale irrigation farming, organic farming, agro-forestry and permaculture. On the demonstration site, we are looking to setting up small-scale irrigation, permaculture gardens, and compost. Your ideas to improve our site are more than welcome. We are also looking for volunteers to promote and educate about permaculture, organic farming and agro-forestry among the women and youth groups on the field.
2. Education. Since we do not have an orphanage, the volunteer will help the organisation in supporting the poor children, of which many are orphans, in schools in the rural areas of Uganda. You can join the people from the organisation and contribute to the sports and community projects for children. Activities with the children include playing sports like football, school gardening, and spending time with the vulnerable children in primary and nursery schools. We often set up new activities like poetry day or music events. Most importantly, you can also give your own ideas about what kind of activities would be enjoyable for the children. The organisation will support and help you to make your ideas come true and help the children.
3. Health. Take part in our activities around behavior change communication, HIV/AIDS prevention, or nutrition education. We are always looking for people who can teach to the communities or work in partnership with health facilities. A medical background is not required; however, we are actively looking for volunteers with some expertise in the field, including nurses.
4. Management. Help us designing and implementing our projects. You can assist the programs manager at the office for a variety of tasks, from reporting, to making workplans, to helping with the coordination of a project.
5. If you have any expertise or skills in a field of for example building, arts, management, agriculture, health or childcare you are more than welcome to realize your ideas and support the communities we work with. We believe that every volunteer comes with new ideas and can provide a great input for our organization. Do not hesitate to make suggestions.
6. Special Long term volunteers needed. The organisation is looking for two volunteers from any part of the world to volunteer in management for a period of two to three years. One will be in Wakiso and another one in Hoima. Should be aged 28 years and above with a masters degree plus skills in resource mobilization, even if one doesn't have the experience. This person will not pay the three dollars per day. The tasks to perform can be got through discussion with the host. Will get experience in managing organisations in developing countries, working with rural poor communities and in different parts of the country.
Will be free to tour and enjoy the country when ever he/she needs.
Will get versed experience since the organisation works with different sectors like agriculture, health, advocacy and many others as mentioned above.
Will have your own single room to stay in.
English, Runyoro and Luganda
The organisation will provide accommodation and three meals a day for the volunteer.
The volunteers' residence is located near the Hoima office. It is currently composed of four eco-houses, two with individual rooms and two shared rooms. There is electricity and volunteers have access to a basic kitchen. Mosquito nets are provided. We are constantly improving the residence. Recent modifications include a new outdoor table and a barbecue. It is a very nice site in the Ugandan nature, and accommodation is comfortable and spacious.
Meals are composed of local cuisine. We have had a number of vegetarian and vegan volunteers, and can easily adapt to their diet.
The area around Hoima is peaceful and quiet, away from the bustling of Kampala. You can enjoy reading, relaxing, meditating, playing football, or working out here. Lake Albert, Bogoma Forest, Murchison National Park, and Rwenzori Mountains are with in the vicinity and can be visited. Cheap buses travel to and from Kampala; they generally take no more than five hours. We will support you in your travel plans.
Uganda is generally safe and welcoming. There are some things that you should take into account though. Smoking cigarettes in public is prohibited. Ladies should avoid wearing clothes that are too revealing (e.g. dress or skirt above the knee). Public display of affection, particularly for same-sex couples, should be avoided as well.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Volunteers will get technical skills in economic empowerment of vulnerable communities especially women, orphans and the youth. They will learn different sustainable farming methods, being part of an NGO, community support and will have the freedom to come up with their own ideas and projects to develop themselves. They will learn the way we live, our language,and our food traditions.
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week
In developing countries (Where most hosts are involved in charity work or community development) some of our hosts may ask for a small donation to help the host family or charity (often less then 5 dollars per day) Workaway will allow this listing when the donation goes directly to the family or charity and is just to cover the cost of the volunteers stay. (This will be clearly marked on the host listing).
We will strictly not allow listings posted by agents, “middle men” or projects who we feel are looking to profit from a volunteers stay.
My Photo Album