IMPORTANT: For those who are looking for openings in February, please note that the schools are closed from 1st to 10th February for Tet holiday. We may take you in for other tasks, but not teaching.
Are you looking for placements in a modern, convenient, touristic city or in the countryside? Or maybe BOTH? We have the best of both worlds!
We have two projects: one is in Cam Duc and was launched in June 2016, another is in Nha Trang and was launched in October 2017.
We are two teams of young, ambitiuous and out-going women who strike to connect our students with the rest of the world.
- We aim to create an authentic learning environment for local kids and young adults. Limited interaction with foreigners has narrowed their opportunities to practice English. In Cam Duc, many young adults cannot afford college (financially or intellectually), therefore good English is their only chance to find a proper job. Those difficulties make them even more MOTIVATED to learn English.
- We bring win-win opportunities to both students and volunteers.
What do the two projects have in common?
- Size: Four classrooms in each school
- Program: Same programs which focus on Listening and Speaking skills
- Age: Students are from as young as 4 years old
- Level of English: Students are assigned into different classes according to their English level and age
How are they different?
- Location: Nha Trang is a fairly big and touristic city while Cam Duc is a small town one hour from Nha Trang
- Benefit package:
IN NHA TRANG: Accommodation (private bedroom for two - king bed), bicycle
IN CAM DUC: Accommodation (private bedroom for two - king bed), wifi, food, scooter (fueled by yourself)
A reward for volunteers who help at least for 12 working days in Cam Duc:
- one way bus ticket to your next domestic destination (HCMC or Danang/ Hoi An or Da Lat)
- or one way bus ticket to the floral city of Da Lat on your days off
- or a ticket to the 100 EGG THEME PARK for a full relaxing day
- or pick-up/ drop-off by a private car from/to Cam Ranh airport
Ideally, volunteer teachers are
- English native speakers
- or certified English teachers with good accent
- or confident in the classroom/ love kids/ experienced in teaching English
One to three classes per day. Normally you'll have Sunday off or a full day plus Sunday afternoon off. Please feel free to let me know if you prefer two consecutive days off, we'll try our best to arrange our timetable.
Classes are 1.5 hour and MAINLY late in the afternoon (5:30 - 7:00) and evening (7:15 - 8:45). So you'll have plenty of time during the day for everything else.
- We require smart casual dress code. Jeans and T-shirts are OK but NOT shorts, tank tops and flip-flops.
- Lesson planning must be taken seriously. An experienced teacher often needs about half an hour to prepare for a 1.5 hour lesson. Local teachers are glad to assist with lesson planning when needed.
- I always write feedback for volunteers after their stay.
From time to time, we also need help from people with talents like:
- Film making
- Graphic design
- General maintenance
For the best experience, you are encouraged to switch between two roles that require your talents and/or between two projects.
This is a great immersion in the local culture which involves delicious local food, amazing natural sights and tourist attractions as well as hours of chatting and having fun with the locals.
The biggest market in town is within walking distance from the school with fresh, tasty and very cheap local fruits, vegetables, snack, desserts and many things else. Students and local teachers will be glad to accompany you for a fun and cultural discovering shopping tour. Please feel free to ask if you would like companions.
We can provide you a guide for local food. Again, it's a lot of fun to eat out with students and local teachers.
Students and local teachers are often excited to teach you some basic Vietnamese if you are interested. Linguistic exchange sections are usually full of fun and laughter.
IN NHA TRANG:
- It's a private airconed bedroom about 2 km from the school. You are provided with a good BICYCLE to commute.
- The beach is one minute walk from the house.
IN CAM DUC:
It's a private airconed bedroom about 5 km from the school. You are provided with a SCOOTER to commute. So it's neccessary that you
- have your own motorbike/scooter
- or feel comfortable riding one with/without a passenger
- or feel comforbable riding a bike 10 km a day.
The beach is 20 minutes by scooter.
The school in Cam Duc is located in a small non-touristic town where you may be the only travelers. It is perfect for those who want to stay away from busy noisy city life for a while.
Want to do fancy shopping or sightseeing? The city of Nha Trang is just one hour away. Air-conditioned bus is every half an hour from 5:30 AM to 5:30 PM. Riding a motorbike along the coastline for breath-taking views of the sea and mountains.
Nearest beaches are just 20 minutes by motorbike. Some are full of locals and activities while some are less visited.
100 egg theme park is 30 minutes away with hot spring, mud bath and chilling atmosphere for a perfect day doing nothing except relaxing.
Dalat - a nearby city is a truly hidden treasure on the mountain and just a few hours away. Two consecutive days off from work is enough for a getaway to Dalat.
Adult students will be more than happy to join you for a weekend trip either to those places or other surprising destinations.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
18 hours teaching or 24 hours doing other stuff per week