From: Fiji & France
Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mexico
05/08/2015 - 30/06/2019
Hey we are Aurore (Rory) & Etienne ! We are a french couple : he comes from the borderline with Belgium and I come from the borderline with Swizerland but we met and lived together in Paris.
Aurore has a master degree in Competitive Intelligence but is from the countryside and use to work in farms and take care of horses.
Etienne used to work on organizing events, often outside. He loves to chat around a beer!
We are very attached to the land and nature, we love animals and we believe in a local and respectful agriculture.
We are very interested in learning practical permaculture, organic farming, gardening, natural building, sustainable living.
We can cook delicious indian and asian food now ! Etienne is very good at making chapatis ;)
For ethical reasons, we do not eat meat or dairy, Etienne eats seafood when he catches it himself.
We've been on a long trip from august 2015 till... we'll see and it is primordial for us to meet people along the way and work with them, to take the time to know them before hitting the road :)
We have many stories to listen to... and some travel tales to tell, from hoping greek islands and sleeping on the beaches, our truck hitchhiking at the border w/ Afghanistan, touring south-east Asia with scooters and a tent, camping in a school in Tonga and crossing an ocean on a sailboat... and many others!
We are on helpx first and most importantly to meet beautiful people, and for cultural exchange. Doing helpx in a tool to achieve that.
OUR VOLUNTEERING EXPERIENCES
- we helped creating an organic rosemary plantation on the foothills of incredible Himalayas, and in Nepal in a cute permaculture farm in the mountain surrounded by tea plantations...
- We had lovely volunteering in Tasmania where we did as well some childcare, cooking, gardening and that was amazing!
-HOUSE SITTING/PET SITTING: big gardening work, taking care of big and small dogs, cats, Alpacas, ponies, cows and goats! Ask for references, we have plenty.
in New Zealand:
- working in a farmlet (North Island) for 3 weeks with outdoor, gardening, animal care tasks (4 horses and a lot of birds) and cooking
- working in a beautiful old villa for 2 months near Christchurch where we did a lot of outdoor and indoor maintenance (clean a big chookhouse, waterblasting briks, gardening, tidying, cleaning) and as well helped with the kids and cooking. We took care of the animals on a daily basis : 7 horses, 20 chooks, a cat and 2 lamas. Rory gave some horse-riding dressage classes to one of the girls as well :)
- planting endemic plants on the bank of lake Hawea, rebuilding a wood house in Manapouri
In Tonga :
- we stayed a week in a primary school with the PeaceCorp on a remote island, played with the kids, took some snorkeling, exchanged ideas on starting a permaculure garden and sorted the books in the library. We loved it there! Faka ofo ofa
- in Fiji:
we lived a few months in a remote village on an island in Fiji, helping an old couple with gardening and cooking. Our little Fiji family :)
- in New Caledonia :
we crewed on a sailboat for a month including a 9 day crossing from New Caledonia to Bundaberg, Australia.
We worked for 9 months in New Caledonia in order to refund our travels, Aurore as a Hotel Manager (33 appartments, 4 employes) and Etienne as a dishwasher and kitchen hand in a gastronomic restaurant.
- we helped an older man living on his boat in San Francisco bay
- catering of an art retreat for a week plus chauffeur for the group.
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
Help with Computers / internet
We can take care of children, cook, garden, help to built things, use power tools, clean houses and sheds, play with dogs, feed animals on a daily basis. etc... and run a hotel/house/farm independently.
We would love to take care of animals. Rory knows horses well, she was taking care of a huge horse for a year and a half, worked in stables.
Etienne is a really friendly character and get along very easily with people, he would like to learn cooking, bartending, welcoming guests (and love fishing).
Aurore is a photographer and loves analog / old cameras and has a travelblog, so she can provide some website/wordpress/content/design services as well.
We both have our driving licence / We quit smoking a 2 years ago.
French, English, a bit of Italian and Spanish
28 & 41
Special dietary requirements
No meat, no dairy, one eats fish